Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsbaseball View Post
Wow, I has to watch 1 case of this stuff and what I'm asking is where did this price point come from. There's no retail market, it doesn't sell anywhere and he admittedly had no idea what this product was about.

Personally I wouldn't feel right taking big money like this for a spot for something for a product I knew nothing about.

The worst thing is those Heroic Points, you don't even get a card, here's the link to the rules

how-it-all-works

Just looking at the first case, this was $650 or so a case? Holy cow, the only exact card that can't be valued on ebay is the Longoria, but this is about $200 of product.

Mike Trout 2011 PSA 10 - On average sell for about $40-$50

Nolan Ryan "Don't Mess With Texas" BIN $99

Evan Longoria 2008 Upper Deck X RC BGS 10, none on ebay but card is $3 PSA can't sell for $20.

Ted Williams 1959 FLEER TED WILLIAMS #56 1955-2,000TH MAJOR LEAGUE HIT PSA 8++ CENTERED BIN $30
No, that price is per box.
Davesportscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfatty View Post
Mr. Gelfman was Cheerleader #1 during the break as well, getting all excited over $20 pristine base cards and $40 bat cards. I don't mind people trying to make some money running a break, trying out new products, but please spare all of the false excitement over an ungraded Nolan Ryan RC that sells for $3. Not a whole lot of objectivity in that break chat.
1968 Nolan Ryans sell for $3? Put me down for 50 of 'em.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #103 (permalink)

I think this is very very reminiscent of a time long ago.

You have a new company selling autographed memorabilia, some with, some without COAs, and "buyback" cards. These aren't sold through hobby shops, but on a limited access cable show, sold by a straight man and an insane, loud, bearded pitchman who quoted insanely inaccurate price quotes when he is opening the product on air.

Fast forward 25 years. You have a new company selling autographed memorabilia, some with, some without COAs, and "buyback" cards. These aren't sold through hobby shops, but on a limited access webTV show, sold by a straight man and an insane, loud, bearded pitchman who quotes insanely inaccurate values when opening product on air.

Your cast:

HEroes of Sport as Ken Goldin/Score Board
Gelb as "Kenny", the straight man
Blog TV as Shop at Home
and
Boomo as America's #1 pitchman, Don West.

It's really scary, that if you don't remember history, you're doomed to repeat it.

We all know how well Score Board worked out.
Bob Loblaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
1968 Nolan Ryans sell for $3? Put me down for 50 of 'em.
in my rush to check ebay on the cards while the break was happening i clearly must have fat fingered the description in my search because that's all i found when i looked. checking back...yeah I'm an idiot. I still stand by the false optimism point though.
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
Actually, I was conversing with Gelf in a private chat.

I was led to believe that he had something to do with the company (with the phone call interview thing at the beginning, and the endless defense of the product and how great the pulls were during chat). I asked him why they inserted cards worth less than $30 into a $700 product

And trust me, I wasn't even going hard on him because I though he was part of the company. lol.
I think you are correct. He is registered here: Blowout Cards Forums - View Profile: gelfgelfgelf

Interesting first two posts. More interesting was post #3 which was deleted along with the boomo thread promoting this break. It was something along the lines of "I've heard great things about this product."
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #106 (permalink)

Wow, so all I need to do is get a home on wheels, some birds, trash bags and a few sorting minions.

Then, i open boxes for people on blogTV and get a loyal following of clientele on eBay to buy into my breaks.
And join a message board to promote some of my breaks to new clients.
Then, I can exploit the crap out of them.

And, Instead of running my breaks on eBay, I can ask for direct PayPal and avoid eBay issues. Genius.

Money in the bank!
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #107 (permalink)

Come on you guys have never heard the term axed? Like "he got the axe" aka he got the boot. It's pretty common.

Anyway, I joined the chat and I must say Boomo is a real piece of work, acting or not. Also I'm glad I had no desire to pay for the seats because there's hardly ANYTHING that I saw that'd I'd be happy with. I'm actually SHOCKED that this company didn't load the cases more.

Edit: Didn't Beckett advertise this product in their magazine?

Also I work within a mile of this place....I kinda what to do some recon work.
RipitRipken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipitRipken View Post
Come on you guys have never heard the term axed? Like "he got the axe" aka he got the boot. It's pretty common.
That is not the way it was used. I think it was used as a hidden racial jab myself.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #109 (permalink)

Can someone please link to the videos so I can have something funny to watch during lunch.

Did anyone happen to get a redemption for a Shaq Plaque?
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
That is not the way it was used. I think it was used as a hidden racial jab myself.
It's from futurama...
afrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobandit View Post
It's from futurama...
....used as a racial jab.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Seriously...did anyone expect any better?

There is zero transparency (except perhaps, now we know where/how much they paid for their cards )
My problem was not one picture of not one card! just the BIG stuff that will be impossible to pull. I have no problem with Boomo, but this product reeked of rip off...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #113 (permalink)

One picture was there the Darvish base RC

Riddle: I do no wrong when I am called out I talk smack than run to a moderator when you hurt my feelings...who am I?
texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #114 (permalink)

Please post links to videos...all of this talk has got me itching to see this. I know from what I've heard it's a joke but I'd like too see the break link(sing up, rules, what it "guaranteed"...etc) and who actually joined.

Just did some searching on YouTube...tell me it wasn't this guy?!?
http://youtu.be/Bfv88Gx5xQQ

The way in which the card was handled and the way he acted should be enough to worry anyone giving this guy cash..even if it were for a cheap $20 grab bag break

Last edited by Rookiesonly999; 01-03-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: YouTube video
Rookiesonly999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #115 (permalink)

I still don't understand why people drop big bucks on grab bag products. At least when you waste money on mainstream product, you KNOW what you could potentially pull. Because of that, I just don't have much sympathy for those who lost their ass on this stuff. Buyer beware.

That said, I steadfastly encourage all to make fun of a crap product like this and a loon like Boomo.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTaxMan View Post
I still don't understand why people drop big bucks on grab bag products. At least when you waste money on mainstream product, you KNOW what you could potentially pull. Because of that, I just don't have much sympathy for those who lost their ass on this stuff. Buyer beware.
I totally agree...goes back to the old saying, "maybe they've got more money than they have sense."
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #117 (permalink)

Here are the videos for anyone who is interested:

free case 1-2 - blogTV

case 2 heroes - blogTV

case 3 heroes - blogTV

case 4 heroes - blogTV

case 5 heroes - blogTV
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:

That said, I steadfastly encourage all to make fun of a crap product like this and a loon like Boomo.
I feel the same way. I'm even paranoid about buying boxes over the internet since people could weigh the boxes. Not sure what there would be to gain from that, but it took me forever to find a store that I could trust, so I only buy from him.

I could never participate in a grab bag product, especially after Haiku.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Why can't I see this on my iPhone 5? I've tried several diff times to view blogtv with no success! Do I need to download an app or program to view it with the iPhone?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #120 (permalink)

So, they don't do anything to avoid the lottery thing?
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipitRipken View Post

Anyway, I joined the chat and I must say Boomo is a real piece of work, acting or not. Also I'm glad I had no desire to pay for the seats because there's hardly ANYTHING that I saw that'd I'd be happy with. I'm actually SHOCKED that this company didn't load the cases more.

Edit: Didn't Beckett advertise this product in their magazine?

Also I work within a mile of this place....I kinda what to do some recon work.
Really? Did you read his posts before commenting on this? He did not use it in the way that you suggested. He used it in the place of "asked,ask". It is either intentional illeteracy, lazziness or both I did not read any racism into its use but that's just my opinion.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobandit View Post
It's from futurama...
I suppose I stand corrected as well as sorry that I myself did not read ahead before posting. I don't watch Futurama so any intentional inside joke from it obviously went over my head. Never mind me and continue to the Boomo bashing.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
The case itself looks like he made it in his basement in about five minutes. He just taped a couple of pieces of paper to the sides of a box.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:
The case itself looks like he made it in his basement in about five minutes. He just taped a couple of pieces of paper to the sides of a box.
Yeah, I stopped watching when he started complimenting the box.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #125 (permalink)

650 a box? whoever created this product needs a beat down. why the #@#@#@#@ would you put a ken griffey jr xfractor BGS 10 in a 650.00 box?? wtf, did some guy just take all his graded cards and decide to make a product. Also i love the redemptions for items. The guy probably doesn't even own the items yet and was waiting to get in all the money from his sales to honor the redemptions.

A signed Pujols ball? wtf, that was cool and worth money 2 years ago
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote