Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Is It Just me? Or are BC auto's selling for a premium?

I do most of my shopping or "investing" in the offseason. Buying up solid prospects with potential, and trading and or selling them mid season when they're hot. BUT this offseason prices seem to be increasing significantly? Is anyone else seeing this?

forenstance, Jose Fernandez BC autos were right around 23$ in nov-dec NOW THEY'RE 35+!

Dylan Bundy's were right around 58-62$ now they're up past $70+!
even Daniel Vogelbach, his stuff was 12$, and now they're selling 17-20$
can't catch a break this year.

Last edited by The Prospector; 01-07-2013 at 05:28 PM.
The Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Isn't that somewhat natural? When a product first releases, the market is more saturated and therefore less expensive. As fewer prospects become available you have probably the same amount of people shopping but fewer cards. Naturally they'll drive the price up a tad. I have been picking up a BUNCH of Adam Jones and Jesus Montero in hopes that they'll get hot (and they're my PC guys) and I've been lucky with their prices staying steady.

I did buy some hot/top prospects and I've noticed their Chrome stuff is creeping up a little. 10-15% ish since product release.
RipitRipken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipitRipken View Post
Isn't that somewhat natural? When a product first releases, the market is more saturated and therefore less expensive. As fewer prospects become available you have probably the same amount of people shopping but fewer cards. Naturally they'll drive the price up a tad. I have been picking up a BUNCH of Adam Jones and Jesus Montero in hopes that they'll get hot (and they're my PC guys) and I've been lucky with their prices staying steady.

I did buy some hot/top prospects and I've noticed their Chrome stuff is creeping up a little. 10-15% ish since product release.
Pricestend to cool off in the offseason. There generally isn't a reason for a prospect's card to go up in value over the offseason
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
XL5

Plus these are 2011 BC, not 2012. They would have already gone through any post-release desaturation.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Plus these are 2011 BC, not 2012. They would have already gone through any post-release desaturation.
Exactly, i'm trying to figure out whats going on? Unless we are "out of recession" and people are picking up the hobby again? (not like they weren't before)
The Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

I thought I was crazy, it has been hard to win items at prices I thought they would go for
metsplaya123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prospector View Post
Exactly, i'm trying to figure out whats going on? Unless we are "out of recession" and people are picking up the hobby again? (not like they weren't before)
eBay bucks from Christmas? I used mine on a Tom Brady Bowman Chrome Rookie. 24 NFL Markets have now turned their attention to baseball as well. Plus, you have BA releasing organizational top 10 lists

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

People are starting to stock up, we are moving from the "quiet because the season ended recently" period to the "hype starting to grow for the new season" period.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Everyone is doing the same and stocking up during the off season to drive up the price?
jbettis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

usually we see quite a "dip" in prices during these months. And it really seems like the "dip" has not been as severe this year.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prospector View Post
I do most of my shopping or "investing" in the offseason. Buying up solid prospects with potential, and trading and or selling them mid season when they're hot. BUT this offseason prices seem to be increasing significantly? Is anyone else seeing this?

forenstance, Jose Fernandez BC autos were right around 23$ in nov-dec NOW THEY'RE 35+!

Dylan Bundy's were right around 58-62$ now they're up past $70+!
even Daniel Vogelbach, his stuff was 12$, and now they're selling 17-20$
can't catch a break this year.
I'm in total agreement with this take....I think we have to consider it the Trout/Harper effect causing a spike in specifically prospecting baseball card popularity. Now we're seeing cards in Dec/Jan are actually selling more where they should be and in some cases even above that! (instead of AT LEAST 15-20% below like most offseasons). Been tough sledding out there no doubt.
StraWMyerS is offline   Reply With Quote