Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default BWAA are IDIOTS!!! No one elected!@# you kidding me?

The baseball writers association of America... totally stupid of them not to elect sure Hall of Fame lock Craig Biggio into the HOF. A lot of these writers are just what they are good at....writers. Most have never played the game and have no idea the difficulty in staying in the game and performing at a high level, nor do they understand the politics needed to be able to stay with one team for an entire career. Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio all are in a exclusive category by playing their entire career with the same team and having quality stats throughout. Next year Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine have strong likelihood of getting in further taking votes away from other deserving candidates. All the articles written by these bwaa members and opinions they've had do nothing but keep them having a job writing. It's stupid to even recognize the Hall of Fame if the opinions of these narrow minded individuals who are empowered votes are running the show. I'm not saying the public should be given a vote like for the Allstar game, but some other entity should have a say so than the BWAA, which in essence is just a country club of writers who are tenured. Essentially the same as a professor who gets tenured then becomes more of a philosopher than educator. Today is an embarrassment to major league baseball. Guys like Biggio who have never been linked to steroids should be able to get elected. Period. I also think Lee Smith should go in for his saves, and Pete Rose should go in for his hits. Hits and closing out games are the foundation of baseball... Selig needs to do the right thing and let Pete in. Just as steroids have tarnished the 90's, cocaine and drug use tarnished the 80's, gambling has always been prevalent. If guys like Manny can get a slap on the wrist and reinstated over and over for ped use, then Pete Rose should have his ban lifted. I feel for the guy...he may die not going into the Hall and request to be buried face down so that MLB and Bud Selig can kiss his...for eternity!

What your take on this?

Last edited by justinhiggs; 01-09-2013 at 04:24 PM.
justinhiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

He's a first year. Chill. Next year
ryan_cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Think only biggio shoud have made it

JP Crawford Supercollector
MikeWilliamsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWilliamsFan View Post
Think only biggio shoud have made it
I agree with you.
babybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think Biggio and Piazza should have made it in, however I'm starting to think Barry Bonds should have to regardless of him having used steroids. Steroids were not banned at the time just like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays and many other HOF's admitted to using amphetamines (greenies) all the time. While amphetamines are now banned substances, they weren't at the time.
death2redemptions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

not picking a fight, im just curious how come not piazza too? catchers in the 90s, no one came close. catchers over the years...he's top 5 easy if not higher
rmiller1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Im glad none of the juice heads got in.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

The whole baseball HOF and different years thing is SOOO stupid. The committe's high and mighty routine is such a waste of time and people's attention, either you are a HOFer or your not. Year 1, Year 3 or whenever doesn't matter.

Did Ron Santo really have to wait to get elected until the year AFTER he passed? The whole process is absurd.

/rant over
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Biggio will make it soon, Piazza as well. None of the Juicers deserve to be on the ballot not to mention actually in the Hall. Biggio should be there right now, but Im not willing to really call it a snub.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

I really do not see why people are so upset about this.

I've got no dog in this fight but I'd prefer fewer players get in...there are already too many guys who are in who should not be.

Piazza and Biggio were both in their first year of eligibilty right? A lot of guys dont get in on their first ballot. Call it stupid or whatever but I think some try to reserve first ballot to players of a higher caliber...both will make it in next year.

Last edited by mainerunr; 01-09-2013 at 04:59 PM.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

HOF is all about name recognition to me, especially first ballot. You shouldn't have to think about it. Biggio will probably get in eventually, but IMO there's no way he should have made it this year.

My apologies to our neighbors in the North, but I only ship inside the US
illadelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

I agree Biggio and Piazza should have made it this yr. Also Bagwell I understand Bagwell not making it on yr one . But this was yr 3 and should have gotten in. He had a great career cut short do to an injury . Also think if Both Bagwell and Biggo player in minutemaid park over the Astro dome how many more hits, Homeruns they would have had. Happy Bonds,Clemens , Sosa and Big Mac were denied .
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
I think Biggio and Piazza should have made it in, however I'm starting to think Barry Bonds should have to regardless of him having used steroids. Steroids were not banned at the time just like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays and many other HOF's admitted to using amphetamines (greenies) all the time. While amphetamines are now banned substances, they weren't at the time.
steroids have been illegal in the u.s.a. for years . where does major league baseball take place ?
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ya, the more I think about it, the more I agree with the vote. I don't see Clemens or Bonds ever getting into the hall. Both Biggio and Piazza, will both have to wait. I do think Biggio makes it next year b/c of having 3000 hits though. But he wasn't an obvious first ballot guy. Jeff Bagwell Might make it in, but this will take even longer.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

bonds and clemens should get in . do i think they did steroids ? sure i do . but you cant go on denying people if you have no proof. both of these guys were very succesful , are we going to forever question someone from now on if there doing something illegal if there stats are out of this world ?

the "steroid" era began long before the "steroid " era . and if anyone thinks the sport is clean right now there crazy . it never will be . you have guys that are still testing positive, what does that tell you ? he probably has been using for a long time and for whatever reason was not able to beat the test this time .
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
are we going to forever question someone from now on if there doing something illegal if there stats are out of this world ?
Look at Pete Rose- banned for life from baseball. I heard his stats were pretty good.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
bonds and clemens should get in . do i think they did steroids ? sure i do . but you cant go on denying people if you have no proof. both of these guys were very succesful , are we going to forever question someone from now on if there doing something illegal if there stats are out of this world ?

the "steroid" era began long before the "steroid " era . and if anyone thinks the sport is clean right now there crazy . it never will be . you have guys that are still testing positive, what does that tell you ? he probably has been using for a long time and for whatever reason was not able to beat the test this time .

another thing people don't talk about is how rampant steroids were during the steroids era. We've heard from several former players during the peak of it saying they believe about 75% of players were using. We've been fooled many times by players that we thought never would have used steroids as well as those that were caught and we wondered what the heck the point was when they still were sucky ballplayers. The fact is there were SO many players that were using for a good decade plus that there really wasn't much of an advantage as virtually everyone was playing with enhancement. MLB knew this without question but it wasn't an important issue as long as the money train rolled in

But HOF to me is for the best of the best, the faces of their era. I absolutely would put in Bonds over Biggio
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
Look at Pete Rose- banned for life from baseball. I heard his stats were pretty good.

on the other hand there is a pretty good list of players in the hof that are known cheaters. Whether it was doctoring the baseballs or breaking the rules with their bats, etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Do you all think that Biggio is better than Larkin?
Artchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
another thing people don't talk about is how rampant steroids were during the steroids era. We've heard from several former players during the peak of it saying they believe about 75% of players were using. We've been fooled many times by players that we thought never would have used steroids as well as those that were caught and we wondered what the heck the point was when they still were sucky ballplayers. The fact is there were SO many players that were using for a good decade plus that there really wasn't much of an advantage as virtually everyone was playing with enhancement. MLB knew this without question but it wasn't an important issue as long as the money train rolled in

But HOF to me is for the best of the best, the faces of their era. I absolutely would put in Bonds over Biggio

If people are going to taint the whole era, and say players are guilty by association, that means you can present an adjusted, level playing field, which means Bonds, Clemens, etc. played against inflated numbers themselves and still put up some of the best numbers of all time.
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

i was really hoping JAc MOrris would make it in this year
rck1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

we can question alot more people but we have no proof . they werent testing for it back then........ ken griffey jr had great numbers why dont we go after him .people always commented on how pedro martinez was so strong for such a small guy , why dont we question him ??? we wont know ever....... so if you havent tested positive you have to be considered innocent . although passing a test realy doesnt even mean anything
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rck1234567 View Post
i was really hoping JAc MOrris would make it in this year
Ya, he has just one year left now. I think it's funny how people are blaming the presence of the steroid era guys for him not getting in this time. Multiple writers apparently mailed in blank ballots, but I believe that is because they didn't think anyone deserved getting in this year- including Morris. They could have and probably would have made that one vote if they wanted him elected to the hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
If people are going to taint the whole era, and say players are guilty by association, that means you can present an adjusted, level playing field, which means Bonds, Clemens, etc. played against inflated numbers themselves and still put up some of the best numbers of all time.
You could always look at is as the juiced batters were probably hitting against juiced pitchers and vice-versa!

Last edited by 91Braves; 01-09-2013 at 05:27 PM.
91Braves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post

especially when back then there was no penalty or consequences if someone was caught with them. And people can not be fooled to think there wasn't just as many pitchers doing it as hitters. Or that it wasn't just players that put up monster numbers that were using but many with mediocre stats as well. All we have to do is look at the list of people that were caught and suspended AFTER MLB said there would be a penalty for people that tested positive included the likes of pitchers like Rafael Betancourt, Juan Rincon, J.C. Romero, etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

LOL at anyone who just assumes that Biggio didn't take PEDs simply because he's small and didn't hit a lot of HRs.