Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
HadWayTooMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,246
Default Curt Schilling Question

Now I don't think Schilling is a HOFer, but many people are acting like his post-season and his bloody sock will get him in.

My question is this. If he gets in, what hat does he wear? Remember, he does not choose. I had written this awhile back. Any thoughts?

Curt Schilling Article
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
mainerunr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,584
Default

Non issue, he does not belong in the Hall.

If he does get in, it will be because of what he did with the Red Sox, not what he did in his career so I could see him going in with a Sox hat.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,056
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

My guess is he gets in eventually. 200+ wins, an amazing post season performer (not just in Boston) with 3,000+ K's.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
HadWayTooMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerunr View Post
Non issue, he does not belong in the Hall.

If he does get in, it will be because of what he did with the Red Sox, not what he did in his career so I could see him going in with a Sox hat.
I agree, but a lot of "experts" believe he's worthy. I have my serious doubts!

I wrote this about 3 years ago when Andre Dawson was going in. I guess I'm stuck on the Gary Carter thing:

Andre Dawson Shouldn't Have A Choice What Cap To Wear In Cooperstown
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,001
Default

Hes going to get in because his peak was so high, what he did during the post season and the fact he went to Boston and then they won.

The Hall chooses, so my guess is either Arizona or Boston.
__________________
If you have under 25 iTrader feedback or any negative, I will ask you to send first
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
marl1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 450
Default

The answer is yes, he's a fat, drama queen of a d-bag.... Sorry, what was the question again?
marl1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marl1220 View Post
The answer is yes, he's a fat, drama queen of a d-bag who is going to be in the Hall of Fame.... Sorry, what was the question again?
Fixed it for you
__________________
If you have under 25 iTrader feedback or any negative, I will ask you to send first
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
AUTaxMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Now I don't think Schilling is a HOFer, but many people are acting like his post-season and his bloody sock will get him in.

My question is this. If he gets in, what hat does he wear? Remember, he does not choose. I had written this awhile back. Any thoughts?

Curt Schilling Article
Schilling doesn't pass my 5 second HOF test. If I have to think about whether or not someone is deserving for more than 5 seconds, they aren't.
__________________
COLLECTING
GREG MADDUX, QUENTIN GROVES, FRANK SANDERS, AND AUBURN TIGERS
AUTaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTaxMan View Post
Schilling doesn't pass my 5 second HOF test. If I have to think about whether or not someone is deserving for more than 5 seconds, they aren't.
Oh, you must have been a voter today because that sounds like the insightful rationale they used today
__________________
If you have under 25 iTrader feedback or any negative, I will ask you to send first
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
rolewiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Rust Belt
Posts: 153
Default

They might make him wear the D-Backs cap, like with Gary Carter and the 'spos.
rolewiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
xbignick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,401
Default

Why doesn't he belong in, because of wins? Great numbers, great rates, long career, and certainly had peak years. I'd put him with the Phillies.
__________________
@xxbignick on twitter!
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
RedSoxFan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,016
Default

I think he should get in, and either Arizona or Boston
__________________
Baseball- Boston Red Sox, Football- New England Patriots, Basketball- Boston Celtics & OKC Thunder, Hockey- Boston Bruins
"I understand you live in Maine and idiocy,ignorance and stupidity is a part of daily life" - Gibberish (10/12/2012)
RedSoxFan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
HadWayTooMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,246
Default

Here's the thing. He spent 4 years in AZ and 4 years in BOS. He spent 9 years in Philly.

Gary Carter spent 12 years in MON and 5 in NY and begged to go in as a Met. They told him know. You cannot justify letting Schilling choose his cap and not let Gary Carter do it.

But then again, that's logical thinking...

If you look at Schilling's numbers throughout his career, he was not dominant long enough to be a HOFer. Yeah, great post-season. But post-season alone does not get you into the HOF. Check out his numbers, you'll see.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
xbignick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Here's the thing. He spent 4 years in AZ and 4 years in BOS. He spent 9 years in Philly.

Gary Carter spent 12 years in MON and 5 in NY and begged to go in as a Met. They told him know. You cannot justify letting Schilling choose his cap and not let Gary Carter do it.

But then again, that's logical thinking...

If you look at Schilling's numbers throughout his career, he was not dominant long enough to be a HOFer. Yeah, great post-season. But post-season alone does not get you into the HOF. Check out his numbers, you'll see.
Not sure what you're looking at but his numbers are there:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57316858,d.dmQ
__________________
@xxbignick on twitter!
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
death2redemptions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Previously Banned Member
Posts: 28,276
Default

If he gets in I hope it is as a D-Back
__________________
The Braves SUCK!
Offseason solution:
Fire everybody....
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
AUTaxMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Oh, you must have been a voter today because that sounds like the insightful rationale they used today
I follow the stats pretty closely, so I have that going for me as well.
__________________
COLLECTING
GREG MADDUX, QUENTIN GROVES, FRANK SANDERS, AND AUBURN TIGERS
AUTaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
xbignick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTaxMan View Post
I follow the stats pretty closely, so I have that going for me as well.
You have a memory bank in your head you can recall accurately and think about all in five seconds or less? Boy!
__________________
@xxbignick on twitter!
"Blowoutcards is a messageboard filled with experts on Ping pong. These highly trained experts told us they spoke to the President of the United States Mr. Haiku and he claims the card is fake since he faked it himself. Our 2 sources (easter bunny and a unicorn with 2 legs) explained this hobby is filled with crooks." -Unknown
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Bader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 841
Default

I vote Schilling for Jay Johnstone's Hall of Sports Bloopers and that's about it!

Bloody sock...please he picked a scab in between innings and made his ankle bleed, exscuse me while I call CNN
Bader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Tugarpj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Detroit....well close enough
Posts: 5,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bader View Post
I vote Schilling for Jay Johnstone's Hall of Sports Bloopers and that's about it!

Bloody sock...please he picked a scab in between innings and made his ankle bleed, exscuse me while I call CNN
Savini avatar. Sweet!
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Bader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugarpj View Post
Savini avatar. Sweet!
Thanks!...he was a very cool person to meet
Bader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 2,227
Default

While maybe not a sure-fire "first balloter" like Randy, Greg, or Pedro; he's definitely in the next tier with Pettite, Smoltz & Glavine for that era. All are pitchers I'd consider worthy. I think he should go in with a Philbacksox hat.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
IamRalpho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,001
Default

Going to be interesting to see what Clemens wears, it needs to be the B. I think that is why he has been so friendly and involved with the Sox lately, he knows where his legacy will be going forward.

Even if Schilling wears a Phillies or Dbacks hat, gonna be one of the most important players in Sox history
__________________
If you have under 25 iTrader feedback or any negative, I will ask you to send first
IamRalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
death2redemptions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Previously Banned Member
Posts: 28,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Going to be interesting to see what Clemens wears, it needs to be the B. I think that is why he has been so friendly and involved with the Sox lately, he knows where his legacy will be going forward.

Even if Schilling wears a Phillies or Dbacks hat, gonna be one of the most important players in Sox history
Clemens won't get in...
__________________
The Braves SUCK!
Offseason solution:
Fire everybody....
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
HadWayTooMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Not sure what you're looking at but his numbers are there:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57316858,d.dmQ
First of all, we all know it's subjective. You can read a stat one way and I can read the same stat another way.

Here is how I read his stats:

I see a guy that pitched for 18 seasons and this is what I see:
  • 3 times - won 20 games
  • 5 times - won more than 15 games
  • 8 times - ERA below 3.50
  • 0 Cy Young Awards
  • 6 time all star
  • 216 wins

Nothing to be ashamed of. Definitely belongs in the Hall of Very Good, without a doubt.

Problem is, it's called Hall of Fame.

Put Schilling in and we have to start talking about Bob Welch, which I don't want to do.

Hall of Very Good
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
RedSoxFan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,016
Default

Schilling also is ranked 18th all time for CY Young Award Shares, he is the only person in the top 28 not to win a Cy Yound Award.
__________________
Baseball- Boston Red Sox, Football- New England Patriots, Basketball- Boston Celtics & OKC Thunder, Hockey- Boston Bruins
"I understand you live in Maine and idiocy,ignorance and stupidity is a part of daily life" - Gibberish (10/12/2012)
RedSoxFan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.