Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #51 (permalink)

This was his SECOND offense??? LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #52 (permalink)

To bad he wasn't a Rockie
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #53 (permalink)

I would say 90% of people try it or do it for a short period of time. But IT is bad, it can mess up a life and despite how you feel now if you still feel this way when you have kids then you need to check your priorities. I spent plenty of days enjoying it, but as I got older I needed to set an example. I would hate to see my children get caught up with it. The "look I'm cool for smoking pot" attitude that some of these posts seem to bring is sad. Your not cool for smoking pot, its actually very immature and pretty much laughable that you would think you are.
stormshadow815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #54 (permalink)

Ya, I don't really have a problem with Singleton smoking..just makes me think he's an idiot and this lowers his overall outlook as a prospect
Old 01-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow815 View Post
I would say 90% of people try it or do it for a short period of time. But IT is bad, it can mess up a life and despite how you feel now if you still feel this way when you have kids then you need to check your priorities. I spent plenty of days enjoying it, but as I got older I needed to set an example. I would hate to see my children get caught up with it. The "look I'm cool for smoking pot" attitude that some of these posts seem to bring is sad. Your not cool for smoking pot, its actually very immature and pretty much laughable that you would think you are.
I'm struggling with how to respond to this without starting a flame war. I think some people might think they're cool for smoking pot, but the majority of the people I know that smoke don't think that way.

Setting aside pot, because it's a hot button issue that nobody can seem to prove the harm of either way, I don't understand the whole, "I did this when I was young, but I'll be damned if my children will do it" thing. (Or even worse, the "I'm doing this now, but you can't" thing.)

I get it if it's something like, "I used to rob gas stations" or "I used to smoke crack" or "I used to have one night stands and got 5 random girls pregnant." Those things are obviously really bad and ruin (multiple) lives. But if it's something that really had no really negative consequences for the parent, and they grew out of it themselves, I don't understand why it's all of a sudden a terrible thing if the children explore it one day.

Maybe I don't get it because I'm not a parent. Or maybe because hypocrisy is my biggest pet peeve. Who knows...it just bothers me.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #56 (permalink)

Uhh..I really just care that he got suspended 50 games and hurt his team..could care less if it's good or bad or why he did it (bad parenting, thinking he's cool, etc..whatever..doesn't matter) There are some people who can do these things without consequence and some who can't..if you are one of those who can't- then don't do it.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Anyway, 50 games for weed? Excessive. 15-20 would be more fitting.
Or they could have just given him mlb logo rolling papers.
Aleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
I'm struggling with how to respond to this without starting a flame war. I think some people might think they're cool for smoking pot, but the majority of the people I know that smoke don't think that way.

Setting aside pot, because it's a hot button issue that nobody can seem to prove the harm of either way, I don't understand the whole, "I did this when I was young, but I'll be damned if my children will do it" thing. (Or even worse, the "I'm doing this now, but you can't" thing.)

I get it if it's something like, "I used to rob gas stations" or "I used to smoke crack" or "I used to have one night stands and got 5 random girls pregnant." Those things are obviously really bad and ruin (multiple) lives. But if it's something that really had no really negative consequences for the parent, and they grew out of it themselves, I don't understand why it's all of a sudden a terrible thing if the children explore it one day.

Maybe I don't get it because I'm not a parent. Or maybe because hypocrisy is my biggest pet peeve. Who knows...it just bothers me.
You’re not going to start a flame war with me. Actually I partially agree with you on a few things you mention. Kids are going to do what kids do. I completely understand that as it’s exactly what I did. People experiment, it’s part of life and I understand that. I'm sure my children will, as will yours when that time comes. But that line where something goes from being an exploration to a full blown addiction is where it gets fuzzy. I know people and have known people that smoke on a daily basis and cannot get through a day without it. THIS is why I preach the; don’t do it to my kids. If my children "explore", I will understand. But I will do my best to prevent them from being the daily user who has it run their life. I should have been clearer in my original post.

It's just like sex. The main way to prevent child birth is to stay away from sex in general and this is what most parents tell their children. You had sex; does that make you a hypocrite? No, it’s just explaining to them the best way to prevent is to abstain. So you preach something even though you did it. Knowing damn well the odds are your kids will not listen. But giving them the understanding that you care and are aware of it, can help prevent a full blown issue.
stormshadow815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #59 (permalink)

For me pot may have been a gateway drug, smoking pot everyday lead to me using much harder drugs later in life but I don't know if I could directly relate it to my marijuana consumption because they say addiction is a disease and that people are born with it so it may have just been inevitable for me to start using the other harder stuff regardless if I smoked pot. Who knows, honestly I really don't care. I've had to listen to so many theories they tell you in and out of rehab. I don't use anymore and that's all that matters.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #60 (permalink)

50 games for pot is excessive.He should just get a warning.Washinton didn't get any games for coke,which I think is bullsh!t !!!!!!
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
50 games for pot is excessive.He should just get a warning.Washinton didn't get any games for coke,which I think is bullsh!t !!!!!!
It was the second time he got caught though! you can't do the same thing over and over..although I do believe in third and even fourth chances..which he Will get..
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
There are some people who can do these things without consequence and some who can't..if you are one of those who can't- then don't do it.
Exactly.

There are some people that let it run their life and there are some people that can do it recreationally... much like alcohol.

Whether Singleton, or any baseball player, should be able to smoke is debatable. But he knew the rules coming in and if he wants to make it in baseball he is gonna have to put the joints down.
poortwinkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher27 View Post
They're acting like it's a crime because it is a crime.
Interracial marriage was once illegal, too. Legality never trumps common sense.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
Interracial marriage was once illegal, too. Legality never trumps common sense.
You can't expect the MLB to look the other way when their employee uses an illegal drug (especially when he had already offended the policy). Warranted or not, marijuana is illegal and the MLB isn't going to tarnish their reputation to make a political statement. The fight for legalizing a relatively harmless recreational drug is hardly on the level of a fight for marriage equality.

My Photobucket: http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/mcgoo2_2008/
mcgoo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
It was the second time he got caught though! you can't do the same thing over and over..although I do believe in third and even fourth chances..which he Will get..
I don't think he will get 3rd or 4th chances. MLB and the players association are now on the same page when it comes to testing. The players association now has been stepping up also against players who tend to try and gain an excessive advantage. Look at how they have blackballed Manny, even as we are in a commercial world where testosterone deodorant and cream is being pushed all over to men in their late 30's and 40's. Manny was using a substance which actually prevents gyno aka b$tch tits and decreases his estrogen level which you have to take after doing a steroid cycle.

My case against Singleton is that he signed to play baseball for the Astros. Being one of the main faces he also represents Topps and Bowman and should be accountable as such that if a kid collects a persons cards or believes in him then it should be no different than setting an example as a parent for one's children. Now even personally I can say when I was in my early 20's for far too many nights I could party it up and ended up drinking and driving and thankfully I was never caught. But then again I would be hurting myself personally had I got a criminal record as well as being ashamed to call someone in my family to bail me out of jail. And living in Texas where DUI is pretty much a normal thing and about 100 a night are given in Harris County where there is a bar on ever corner, there is still no excuse for not being accountable to ones action and even risking potential punishment. To me Singleton actually represents Hunter Pence in that he is the main collateral Houston received in the trade and I'm hoping he lives up to his potential sooner rather than later. This 50 game suspension certainly doesn't help that. We all live and learn but in this case a franchise in last place would have only gained by getting youth players experience sooner rather than later.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #66 (permalink)

I used to buy my cocaine from Daryl Strawberry
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
I used to buy my cocaine from Daryl Strawberry
Look at Mark Grace his 3rd strike he was out. Too many DUI's and now facing or is in prison. And he lost his job. When he was in Arizona he musta thought he was still in Wrigleyville.