Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2013 Topps Products

I can't believe that it's already time to start planning for the 2013 products. I don't think I've still yet recovered from Five Star yet. I've been looking for opinions on this years sets, and they've been few and far between. I remember one thread last year where someone prognosicated the popularity/value of the sets, and I remember he did fairly well. I'm not aiming to do that myself, but am welcome to hearing his thoughts again. For the purpose of this thread, I'd like to just stick to the Topps products. I don't care for Panini whatsoever, and Bowman prospecting is an entirely different niche altogether.

Base Topps :
Pros: Designs & Parallels look cool. 1972 minis look neat as well, and I hate mini cards.
Cons: I'm not at all excited for the code program. It's getting worse each year IMO. Hearing rumors of huge productions runs.
Summary: I usually just get a couple boxes and call it good, but have a slight lean toward getting a case this time. What would push me that last bit?

Heritage:
Pros: Fun set to collect. This was my first case purchase ever. I sold the sets quickly at shows, and most of my hits on COMC for decent prices. Still have a few oddball items I haven't figured out how to move.
Cons: I bought my case after the market dimmed on the product for about $200 less than presell prices.
Summary: Really want to bust this again, but do I wait for the drop again? What does the history of this set say?

Archives: This is the set which got me thinking about this thread.
Pros: I'm very excited about the autograph checklist. Eric Davis, Dutch Daulton, Matt Williams, Herbie, Hojo, & a bunch of other guys autos I'd like to get. A dream list for a collector from the late 80s. (but where's Mike Greenwell?)
Cons: I like my Rock n Roll, but not excited about the hair band autos.
Summary: I stayed away from 2012's version as it didn't appeal to me, but this year is a complete reversal. This is the set I'm currently the most excited about. How big to go?

Gypsy Queen
Pros: I like the idea of the set. Wasn't around for the glory of the 2011 version. Does this version get the every-other-year bump?
Con: Nothing jumping out at me to differentiate it from the other sets.
Summary: May just get a few blasters again.

A&G
I don't think there's enough info out yet to make a decision. I haven't been a big buyer of this set yet, but I want to be.

Tribute Now to the high end.
Pros: Value has gone up every year.
Cons: Price is going way up.
Summary: Only bought one box last year. Not sure I can afford to go after so many high end sets. Especially with...

Museum
Pros: Favorite set of 2012. Biggest value jump of any 2012 baseball card set.
Cons: Price has gone way up (I don't like this trend). Does it go back to being Marquee?
Summary: I got lucky last year by still being able to buy at presell prices after seeing the demand start to take off. Might not be able to wait & see this year.

Tier One
Pro: Just a great set. The rookie reprints are amazing.
Con: Say it again... Price has gone up.
Summary: I did well on breaks of this in 2012. Probably keep trying that this year.

Well this has gone on long enough so I wont bother with Five Star, except to say it can't get any worse. Thanks for reading. I'd be interested to hear how the rest of you rate the upcoming products.

Last edited by GoBeavs; 01-10-2013 at 12:48 AM.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Of the ones you listed, I am planning on mulitple cases of all the Base Topps, Heritage, Archives (first time for this one) gypsy queen, and A&G.

Of all of those, I am most excited for Heritage and A&G. Heritage looks great this year to me, like the idea of it being twice as easy to hit autos, and the gold refractors /5 will be a nice chase, and I think will skyrocket (similar to the gold prizms that seem to have hynotized the basketball collecting world) Heritage went down last year, yes, but 2011 stayed right where it was at for the most part. Just depends on the look of the set I guess, the 1962 style was very popular.

A&G is always fun to me because of the minis and the venturing into other sports. Insert sets are always awesome.

I hate the high end stuff, fun to bust, but you lose a lot most of the time. I usually try one box of each and hope I get lucky.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Keep in mind that there won't be any uber-prospects like over the last three years to drive box prices up on any of the products.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

im looking forward to base topps , gypsy queen and ginter , im interested in heritage but will wait to see how the market responds
superjames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Keep in mind that there won't be any uber-prospects like over the last three years to drive box prices up on any of the products.
True, but this year seems to have plenty of good (not once in a generation) rookies that will help. Profar, Machado, most likely Wil Myers, Dylan Bundy, and possibly, depending on call ups, Oscar Taveras and Hamilton

Imagine that line up in a product like Topps Chrome (my personal favorite product). That stuff would shoot up like it did this year.

Plus there are the two Asian signings, the A's new SS and the Dodgers new Pitcher (names escape me at the moment). They will help sales like Chen and Darvish did this year (although obviously darvish was a bigger deal)
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Plus there are the two Asian signings, the A's new SS and the Dodgers new Pitcher (names escape me at the moment). They will help sales like Chen and Darvish did this year (although obviously darvish was a bigger deal)
Kinda doubtful on that, Darvish was as big a deal as any international signing could be. Everyone else kinda pales in comparison.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
Kinda doubtful on that, Darvish was as big a deal as any international signing could be. Everyone else kinda pales in comparison.
That's why I mentioned that Darvish was obviously a bigger deal. Not expecting either of them (even put together) to be close to Darvish. But they will at least help, and the A's SS being a Position player will definitely help.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
True, but this year seems to have plenty of good (not once in a generation) rookies that will help. Profar, Machado, most likely Wil Myers, Dylan Bundy, and possibly, depending on call ups, Oscar Taveras and Hamilton

Imagine that line up in a product like Topps Chrome (my personal favorite product). That stuff would shoot up like it did this year.
Can't believe I forgot Chrome. Yeah, that'll probably be good too. I was mainly going off the sets with presell info out.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Can't believe I forgot Chrome. Yeah, that'll probably be good too. I was mainly going off the sets with presell info out.
Well at least Machado and Profar are supposed to have rookies in Topps Series 1. Not sure if Bundy will or not.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Of all of those, I am most excited for Heritage and A&G. Heritage looks great this year to me, like the idea of it being twice as easy to hit autos, and the gold refractors /5 will be a nice chase, and I think will skyrocket (similar to the gold prizms that seem to have hynotized the basketball collecting world) Heritage went down last year, yes, but 2011 stayed right where it was at for the most part. Just depends on the look of the set I guess, the 1962 style was very popular.

A&G is always fun to me because of the minis and the venturing into other sports. Insert sets are always awesome.

I hate the high end stuff, fun to bust, but you lose a lot most of the time. I usually try one box of each and hope I get lucky.
I have Heritage as my #2 right now. I'm not a good rip&flipper (kind of hard on the West Coast), so I don't do too much base Topps. I need to find the products that have a little staying power, and don't fizzle after the first weekend.

I feel the same as you about busting high end stuff. But from a profit perspective, they couldn't be beat last year by flipping sealed cases. I made 50% ROI on Museum, and almost that on Tier One.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
but darvish signed too many cardss imo.. his autos arent as expensive when it first came out.. so the two other international players' cards wont differ much valaue wise.. as long as they dont sign too many cards like darvish.
Joshua961203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
I have Heritage as my #2 right now. I'm not a good rip&flipper (kind of hard on the West Coast), so I don't do too much base Topps. I need to find the products that have a little staying power, and don't fizzle after the first weekend.

I feel the same as you about busting high end stuff. But from a profit perspective, they couldn't be beat last year by flipping sealed cases. I made 50% ROI on Museum, and almost that on Tier One.
Its impossible for me to flip sealed cases, because I know I would flip the good cases and bust the bad ones haha.

To me, Heritae is #1, A&G is #2, Series 1 (beause the new design is always the big thing) is #3. I have little faith in the code program, and I believe codes will be barely worth $1 each, but still intrigued.

For products that we dont know about yet, still most excited for Topps Chrome, and worred about Topps Finest, because without a big name, I think it tanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

I am stoked for Heritage this year. Looking to do a 3 to 5 case break. I actually just bought a '12 case from BO for a fun rip. Nothing too exciting just scratching the itch until the next product. Might snag a case of Series 1 for fun. Good luck to all!

171/991 2012 Topps On-Card Autographs
ClevelandIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Here my perspective, as someone who is a set collector and generally does 2-3 products a year:

Base Topps - don't like the design this year, so won't collect the set, but plan on collecting the Proven Mettle and 1972 mini cards of players I like

Heritage - like the 1964 design, so will collect the set. Have not collected for quite a while (since the 1958 design).

Archives - collected last year, but don't like the designs they chose for 2013 (1972, 1982, 1985, 1990), so will not collect this year. However, plan on collecting the 1960 relic and 1972 Basketball subsets.

Gypsy Queen/Allen & Ginter - for me, these are brands that have run their course. They were cool the first year or two they came out, but the designs are too similar from year to year for my taste.
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote