Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #26 (permalink)

I dont mind telling people I collect, but it just never comes up in conversation
ToppsCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #27 (permalink)

I get some jokes from friends but when they see an auto of their players they are like wow that's cool. Parents hate me spending money on so much but they see it makes me smile (25) also my girlfriend of three years is pretty supportive. She loves clothes. I love baseball. Also like others have said. I rather spend money on an "embarrassing hobby" then going out every night to the bar spending 100$ a night like some friends do
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppsCollector1 View Post
I dont mind telling people I collect, but it just never comes up in conversation
Yeah. Exactly
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #29 (permalink)

Hard to keep it a secret when your wife sells you out on Facebook.

"Watching Big Bang Theory and the guys are nerding out about a convention they are going to...much like my husband has been doing for weeks about a baseball card show later this month."
ETSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #30 (permalink)

Yeah actually It seems in some states Doing drugs is hobby now. Pot shops.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofinn36 View Post
Yeah actually It seems in some states Doing drugs is hobby now. Pot shops.
So instead of a LCS they are looking for a LPS? Lol
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #32 (permalink)

LOL!! Thats just what I heard I don't live in a state where its legal. Nor would I go If it were legal here in NC. But It would be funny to watch people flock to the Pot Shop and come out blazed.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
LOL!! Thats just what I heard I don't live in a state where its legal. Nor would I go If it were legal here in NC. But It would be funny to watch people flock to the Pot Shop and come out blazed.
Open a pizza joint next door and it's like a liscense to print money!!!
texgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #34 (permalink)

Everyone Knows that I do collect and if they have cards they want me to sell or look at they always come to me first.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #35 (permalink)

I brag about collecting cards. I do however keep my heroin addiction and bulimia a secret.
mmbtvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
Hobbies are healthy for the mind, and I recommend everyone to have one of some kind. They provide a way for a person to relieve stresses from their every day lives IMO. I'm not at all embarrassed about it. I have more important things to worry about than what a person thinks of me collecting cards. It's me having all the fun and them missing out.
Extremely well stated! Any hobby is really about the relaxation and escaping from the day to day. Yes, I am embarrassed that I'm 37 and collect bubble gum cards. But my man cave/card room is really where I'm able to relax. Busting new wax, selling prospect lots, reorganizing my collection for the 10,000th time is my way of taking time for myself. Call it an addiction if you want, call it a kid's hobby if you need to, but like everything in life as long as it's done in moderation hobbies are a good good thing.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSC View Post
Hard to keep it a secret when your wife sells you out on Facebook.

"Watching Big Bang Theory and the guys are nerding out about a convention they are going to...much like my husband has been doing for weeks about a baseball card show later this month."
I looked at my wife when this episode was on and she said "Yes honey, this IS what I think of you and your cards too."
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #38 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

"Secretive" collecting is the reason I quit collecting.

It wasn't a secret from my wife, friends, etc...

It was because collecting, by myself essentially, was boring and not worth the coin. If I couldn't trade stuff in real life with at least a few local people then it just wasn't worth it.

I made trades on here, obviously, but the amount of trades/sales gets worse by the day and the scams get worse and worse - so I essentially use Blowout just for discussion now.

Without any local friends and collectors then "secretive" part, and by that I mean doing it alone, is what drove me away. No reason to have cards sitting in a box if there isn't anyone in real life to discuss them with - if that makes sense to anyone.

Probably just me. Haha
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #39 (permalink)

I do not care who knows that I collect. If they don't like it....F' EM!

I tell my friends all the time and they break my balls relentessly. But guess what... F' EM!

It is better than some what my other friends do...drink alot, smoke alot, drug alot...

Collecting helped me learn to read and understand math when I was young.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
Collecting helped me learn to read and understand math when I was young.
That's funny...I taught my son fractions and percentages using BAs from the back of his baseball cards.
texgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #41 (permalink)

Who cares who knows. My gf loves it, she's glad I have a hobby, and quite frankly she loves that I can sit at my desk and sell a box of cards and make a few hundred bucks. Too many people are worried about what other people think, just live your life and enjoy what you like.

I didn't tell my first gf that I collected cards, and I spent tons of time doing it. Always had to tell her that I was doing something else, it didn't feel right

Check out my eBay store for great cards at great prices! Everything set OBO!
HOFcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
"Secretive" collecting is the reason I quit collecting.

It wasn't a secret from my wife, friends, etc...

It was because collecting, by myself essentially, was boring and not worth the coin. If I couldn't trade stuff in real life with at least a few local people then it just wasn't worth it.

I made trades on here, obviously, but the amount of trades/sales gets worse by the day and the scams get worse and worse - so I essentially use Blowout just for discussion now.

Without any local friends and collectors then "secretive" part, and by that I mean doing it alone, is what drove me away. No reason to have cards sitting in a box if there isn't anyone in real life to discuss them with - if that makes sense to anyone.

Probably just me. Haha
Makes sense, but in reverse for me. I deal with people all day long in my job. I'm not a social person by nature so it's very tiring to me. I use cards as my escape to be by myself doing something I enjoy. Alone. Some days, most days, I would consider 24 hours alone in my man cave with my cards and a bottle of whiskey to be heaven on earth.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #43 (permalink)

I used to not talk about with friends and such, but then I started working at a card shop and naturally everyone found out. I don't have any friends that collect, but I came to realize that more people are interested in knowing about it than people who tell me its lame. But no one is laughing when you flip a card for 5x what you paid for it.

http://s1292.photobucket.com/albums/b576/boomersooner405/
boomersooner405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #44 (permalink)

Actually Cards are a great Hobby. But like anything else you have to stick with it. There are actually real life skills If you ask me. Getting to know how you handle a deal. Also Scouting players Isn't much different than understanding anybodys abilities at work and life.Yes there are shady guys in the hobby but thats like anything that has money. I think Cards are pretty clean and aren't getting any worse. About 99 percent of people are good in this hobby.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #45 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug46n2 View Post
Makes sense, but in reverse for me. I deal with people all day long in my job. I'm not a social person by nature so it's very tiring to me. I use cards as my escape to be by myself doing something I enjoy. Alone. Some days, most days, I would consider 24 hours alone in my man cave with my cards and a bottle of whiskey to be heaven on earth.
Haha fair enough - and in the old days I'd probably be the same way - I guess it's the combination of cost of new product, plus not having anyone local that collects (or at least anyone I know), that makes it not worth it. What's the point of having $5K in cards that just sit in a box?

If I was a set maker, or product was cheaper like back in the day, I could totally sit and enjoy collecting alone.

I guess it was just "what" I collected - which was just High End RC Autos - those ended up in a box. Seemed like alot of cash to have sitting in box collecting dust that made me decide it wasn't for me anymore.

I definitely see both sides though.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #46 (permalink)

The people I work with are big into sports,but not collecting. They laughed until I showed them some cards and the values. Now at least once a week they want to see scans of my new pulls. I could care less what people think about. Its something I enjoy to do. Some people waste money on drinkng and partying I spend my money on cards.
babyfaceposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #47 (permalink)

Actually I bought a Huge card a couple years ago. Its a real accomplishment and a great feeling to buy a card and working out a deal for something that is above the norm. But you don't just start out that way. So yes Its fun to show off but that accomplishment is so much better. I know I did it and I have only told one or two people I bought the card. And no I have no desire to tell the details. Just making a point. There are tons of good things about the hobby.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #48 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dallas88228

Hey i am 32 collected cards since i was 10 yrs old.......it was great when i was young to help me learn math skills, organization skills, how to invest in something you think may rise, how to budget my $$$.......i still collect and its fun its relaxing, but there isnt anything better then going throught a quater box or $1 bax and finding a card yu know sells for $30 or $40.......i dont make it known but my family and GF know i collect......as long as i can afford it i will keep collecting!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually I bought a Huge card a couple years ago. Its a real accomplishment and a great feeling to buy a card and working out a deal for something that is above the norm. But you don't just start out that way. So yes Its fun to show off but that accomplishment is so much better. I know I did it and I have only told one or two people I bought the card. And no I have no desire to tell the details. Just making a point. There are tons of good things about the hobby.
does anyone else wanna know what the "huge card" was? C'mon...you can't just lay that one out there and let it sit. '52 topps mantle??
Friarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #50 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
To be honest I feel that way sometimes. Whenever I go to target I always get that look of why is a damn near 40 year old black guy in the trading card section. Also my wife hates that I collect cards and wishes that I would stop. However as long as we are not hurting anyone else and are handling our business we need to do what we do to make ourselves happy and stop trying to impress people who don't like us anyway.
Wait your black??? My personal friend IMac says that only rural white males frequent the Blowout Forums.

Seriously.....why should anyone be embarassed?
I never knew my father and some of my greatest memories in life are of my mom and her uncle taking me to Red Sox games in 74 and 75.

I used to save my allowance and bought my 1st packs of cards in 1975. Topps baseball in all their rainbow glory. I would pull out my favorites. When I got Rico Petrocelli I ran home and showed my mom.

I was 10 then. I'm 47 now.
I'm the same person, older, bigger but the same person.

So again why be embarrassed? The world can be a cold harsh place and if collecting items with sports players brings you some joy and you have the discretionary income to do so then do it.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote