Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #51 (permalink)

The only time I told my GF was when I brought home a box of '12 A&G and told her I bought the box from a gas station for $20. She enjoyed opening the packs with me but as soon as the last pack was opened the interest vanished. I've since gone back to opening packs in the car and hiding them in my closet. I haven't told any of my friends that I collect and I'm not really sure why but I assume it's because I think I would be laughed at.
lennyforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #52 (permalink)

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
No, it's those 30+ year olds at the LCS buying up Magic cards that are the real weirdos .

Seriously, though, it's a hobby. There are a lot worse hobbies out there if you ask me.
Lol, no. There are weirdos everywhere but because you are 30+ and playing MTG (or collecting sports cards) does not mean you are weird or uncool anymore. For instance I picked MTG back up (I'm 31) after not playing since High School to find 2 Doctors (both very professional and "popular"), and a variety of other "cool" people playing in the area.

In today's world of Superheroes and everyone being "tolerant" the only people who are "weird" are those calling others "weird."
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #54 (permalink)

40 year old virgin is a great ending. Ppl think the guy is a d
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #55 (permalink)

40 year old virgin is a great ending. Ppl think the guy is a dork for collecting action figures and he ends up selling them all and is rich. I don't care whether people think it's dorky to collect cards or not, it's fun and sometimes you can make some money so whoever looks down in it I don't want in my life anyways there's nothing wrong with collecting something.

Last edited by BLawson87; 01-11-2013 at 01:40 PM.
BLawson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #56 (permalink)
XL5

Dude, there are proud Bronies out there. Why the hell would I feel embarassed about collecting baseball cardboard?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSC View Post
Hard to keep it a secret when your wife sells you out on Facebook.

"Watching Big Bang Theory and the guys are nerding out about a convention they are going to...much like my husband has been doing for weeks about a baseball card show later this month."
WOW....that is PRICELESS because I just watched that episode with my GF last night and there were LOTS of jokes directed at me because I was sniping people for some Jesus Montero cards during the episode.

Too funny.
RipitRipken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I was 10 then. I'm 47 now.
I'm the same person, older, bigger but the same person.
For some reason I found this very funny. If you were this witty as a 10 year old...Wow. But I do see for some reason you did omit smarter in your description!!
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #59 (permalink)

When I used to collect cards, I kept everything a secret cause my parents looked down on it, which is why I only prospect. Now I am into memorabilia and mainly game worn jerseys and I do not hide anything.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #60 (permalink)

I always loved baseball when I was a little kid . One day last feb , I was on Youtube and I just typed in Baseball cards . Low and Behold, I seen video after video of people pulling awesome cards . I was hooked. I can proudly say I have a pretty sweet collection for now.

Just being able to come on here and know some people out there in this world love baseball just like me is a great feeling .
RayMelendez83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayMelendez83 View Post
I always loved baseball when I was a little kid . One day last feb , I was on Youtube and I just typed in Baseball cards . Low and Behold, I seen video after video of people pulling awesome cards . I was hooked. I can proudly say I have a pretty sweet collection for now.

Just being able to come on here and know some people out there in this world love baseball just like me is a great feeling .
You might want to keep some of it secretive with your feedback.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #62 (permalink)

I don't keep it secretive, but it's not something I broadcast. Not really something that gets talked about a lot. Most of my friends know that I collect autographs though and usually have fun helping me 'graph at baseball or basketball games.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #63 (permalink)

You should probably keep your signature a secret. Absolutely brutal beating the Illini took on Wednesday. Never seen anyone go that cold on threes and play such nonexistent transition D. If that was at home, can't wait until Feb 10 in the Barn, might be even worse.
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #64 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
You might want to keep some of it secretive with your feedback.
Did you actually read his feedback, or only see that it's a -2? Looks like someone was retaliating against him.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #65 (permalink)

I don't secretively collect - my friends and family and coworker know I do it - but I do feel like I keep some of it from my gf. She knows I collect, but she tends to make me feel guilty about what I spend, whether she means to or not. And half the time I already feel guilty about it, so that just makes it worse. So now when I order boxes I just open them by myself, and if I hit something nice I'll tell her.

Wish it didn't have to be that way. I keep my mouth shut when she goes shopping and spends money she doesn't have on clothes. I used to go out and spend hundreds of dollars a month on drinking and that was fun too, but I feel like it's better to spend it on something where you might be able to get the money back in the future if you have to. I HAVE overspent at times, and I'll admit to it, but meh.

I've been cutting down on opening packs and focusing on singles lately. I graded some cards to sell and was really excited about selling one of them and told her, and then mentioned I was trying to load up on Plawecki with profits while he's cheap. I felt proud that I was grading things for profit instead of opening packs and wanted to express that to her, but she mentioned something about how maybe I should be saving for moving, and talk to my roommate about paying what he owes me again. So yeah...back to just keeping my mouth shut about my cards.

Don't get me wrong, I know she loves me and doesn't hate my hobby. She loves watching me get excited because I don't do it very often. She just doesn't want me to stress out about money.

I do wish I knew people in real life that collected though. I was at a conference for work this past spring and found out some random guy at bar next to me collected, and it was awesome to just be able to talk about it to someone in person. I love you guys, but it's not the same as real life conversation :P.

I also hate people watching me when I'm at Target or Walmart looking at cards. But I hate it when people are watching me when I'm shopping period. I want to go to the pawn store in town to see if they have some NES games, but I feel like they'd be watching me the whole time so I've never gone in.

My friends though, do tend to laugh at me about it. But they always have about my hobbies so it doesn't bother me haha.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #66 (permalink)

It's unfortunate to read responses from people here who lack self confidence so much so that they hide their hobby for fear of embarrassment. I just got back in 2.5 years ago and I am not the least bit shy about it. Most people I've talked to about it are fascinated actually. I've even had Walmart and Target employees hold me up at the register longer so they could ask questions about the hobby, business, eBay, card values etc. My uncle (finance professor and former VP of a big bank) has inquired about my business from an investment standpoint and my dad brags to his friends at work every time I call him about a big pull I had from a box. I'd have to say being a card collector has made me more popular with people...not less popular.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #67 (permalink)

What confuses me is the OP had a username change so it's not his full name, yet he keeps it in his sig still.....

The worst that can happen is you tell some of your friends and they think you're odd for collecting cards with pictures of professional athletes on them or they think it is "cool" and maybe you can persuade them to get into the hobby.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #68 (permalink)

I'm 30 years old and proudly boast that i collect. Most people probably laugh behind my back and you even get the occasional person that does it to your face. But by gosh when i pull that sweet chrome refractor auto from a foil pack its all worth it.
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #69 (permalink)

I don't announce it to the world but I'm not afraid to tell anyone about it. Some fellow service members in my company somehow stumbled on my YouTube page and started asking questions and "making fun of me" well I then showed them some majors hits and what I sold them for and they quickly changed their tone....

Now a lot of the people I work with are starting to get back into the collecting so its actually nice to beable to talk to people about it while at work (closest LCS is 2 hours away)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
What confuses me is the OP had a username change so it's not his full name, yet he keeps it in his sig still.....

The worst that can happen is you tell some of your friends and they think you're odd for collecting cards with pictures of professional athletes on them or they think it is "cool" and maybe you can persuade them to get into the hobby.
I just didn't want it to come up In a google search
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #71 (permalink)

It's no secret but I don't talk about my collection to people. I figure it would be boring to someone who isn't a collector. Sure, maybe a little lame and sort of embarrassing when I'm in the trading card section at Target. I refer to it as "memorabilia".
Mt death2redemption...you started this by your lies!!! A real stand up member!!! You have said lie after lie after lie about me...its funny whenever I used to say anything you would not use my quote but add or subtract to it....I guess you have to keep your fake world going....oh just if your members knew... your worse then a liar....your a created of lies.... - Jason Mars
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #72 (permalink)

haha this is great. i was just thinking about this. i dont really tell people i collect and when i try to talk about it with friends when they find out i do, they dont want to hear it BUT they want me to sell all of their 90's donruss's haha. my girlfriend makes fun of me but the strange thing is, other girls think its charming and endearing. how weird is that. maybe thats because they dont have to live with it.
foreverLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #73 (permalink)

I flaunt it. Although it's a little embarrassing to tell someone I've spent a lot of money on a card. But overall, I'm proud of my collection, and don't mind telling people about it.
rickeywinsagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #74 (permalink)

My wife is completely cool with me collecting. She understands how much I work and that the card "obsession" is my way of getting away from things. I like collecting and I don't have a problem telling anyone that I enjoy it. She even agreed to let me start doing MASSIVE case breaks, last year i busted 5 jumbo cases of Bowman and she didn't complain. This year she agreed to let me bust 15-20 Jumbo cases!!!! Unfortunately har family doesn't understand the collecting and they look at me pretty weird if I talk about any of my collecting habits.
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #75 (permalink)

My wife knows all about my hobby habits. Ive even given her instuctions on how to get rid of it in case something happens cause I know she's not going to want it all. And my friends and family know I collect but I really doubt that they know the extent of it. If I told them I have 35K+ cards they'd be amazed while I look at it as ONLY 35K. If someone asks if I have a hobby or somehow it gets brought I'll admit it but I'm not going to bring it up on my own. Unless one of my neighbors asks then I'll deny it til Im blue in the face cause I dont need them breaking into my house thinking I got $$$ in their when 99% of it aint worth the paper it was printed on.
rtcrules is offline   Reply With Quote