Blowout Cards Forums
Top Shelf

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #126 (permalink)

I don't go out of my way to tell people because they either look at me weird or they tell me about their old 1987 baseball cards and how much money they must be worth now. Most of my friends think I'm weird for collecting cards but I could careless. They are still my friends and I don't think they really care.
teebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #127 (permalink)
zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
^^^^ Don't listed to this guy. He collects nude oil paintings of Bea Arthur
last 3 I purchased came from you
zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofreason13 View Post
I am 30 and I have no problem with people knowing I collect cards. I could care less if people don't approve of me collecting cards.
I like your attitude. I'm 29 and have been collecting on and off since I was in my early twenties. There were a couple gaps in my collecting due to switching from cardboard to drugs, over that now. I like your "care less if people don't approve" comment (Don't give a f*ck attitude). However I sort of feel embarrassed when I'm looking at packs of cards at Target when good looking women walk by, I don't know why, but I usually don't buy retail anymore.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #129 (permalink)

I'm 38 and I've pretty much seen/done it all.

I don't share a lot at work just because I like to keep it professional but I don't care about talking about my hobbies and interests with people I'm getting to know. Maybe they share that same hobby or maybe they don't. But, if they judge me for collecting card that tells me all I need to know and I don't need to waste anymore time with that person.

We've got a pretty wide range of folks on this board, I think that as you get older you don't want to waste your time with people who you don't like or whole are fake a**es. Life is to damn short for all that nonsense.

There's people I can or do tell them pretty much everything. By far some of the funniest stories I have ever heard or told involve something that is beyond embarrassing. I'll be honest, we laugh a lot.

To each their own, but you never know you may miss out on meeting some cool people if you're embarrassed or insecure with what you are about.

I'm not saying tell someone you just met that you crapped your pants the other day, but, you should be ok with telling them you collect cards.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
I like your attitude. I'm 29 and have been collecting on and off since I was in my early twenties. There were a couple gaps in my collecting due to switching from cardboard to drugs, over that now. I like your "care less if people don't approve" comment (Don't give a f*ck attitude). However I sort of feel embarrassed when I'm looking at packs of cards at Target when good looking women walk by, I don't know why, but I usually don't buy retail anymore.
You could always use the "Yeah, my kid keeps asking me to buy some" card.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #131 (permalink)

Getting close to 50 and I collect Comics as well. So, I am really screwed.
almoe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by almoe66 View Post
Getting close to 50 and I collect Comics as well. So, I am really screwed.
Did you buy all of the Spiderman 700 variations?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
I forgot what it's like to be a pre-teen. Embarrassed about baseball cards? WHY??!?? It's not like you pick your nose or have a crush on Hasselhoff....

Who the hell cares what other people think?
Actually, about Hasslehoff....hahaha

And I'm not a pre-teen. I'm just a teen
Old 01-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #134 (permalink)

I dont make it a point to tell people that i collect but because Im a dealer also then it gets brought up when you talk about jobs and stuff like that. Most of my close friends and all my family know and I have an amazing gf who thinks its cool that I do it for fun and that its a form of paying some bills (she calls it my addiction). But when i tell most people they think its pretty neat and always have alot of questions and some want me to take a look at there collections from being kids. (mostley 80'-90's stuff haha)
I DO NOT trade by BV
WSCards5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #135 (permalink)
Banned

All you have to do whenever someone makes a face like you're a dork or whatever is calmly ask them if they heard about the people who found 3 million (or whatever it was) worth of cards in the attic a few months ago.

Then again I live in Ohio, they were found here, and everyone heard about it so I don't get a whole lot of flack.

Years ago when I first met my wife, I asked her to go with me to a show. She had that "what the hell?" look on her face but agreed. Little did she know I had already made arrangements to sell some hockey cards to a guy set up there for $500. We walked in and I found the guy I was dealing with. I walked up, set the cards on the table, he looked real quick, then handed me five $100 bills. We left.

She's never complained about cards to thus day.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 AM   #136 (permalink)

I don't tell ANYONE because I'm so afraid that people might not like me if they know I collect. I'd recommend everyone else do the same.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #137 (permalink)

I'm 44 and collect both comics and cards. I don't shout it from the rooftops but all my friends know and my wife loves that I collect and supports it.

Others people's knowledge that I collect has paid off big time with comics as I picked up a sweet silver age collection a few years back from an aquaintance at work. Still waiting for that vintage 50's baseball find to come my way.....
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
However I sort of feel embarrassed when I'm looking at packs of cards at Target when good looking women walk by, I don't know why, but I usually don't buy retail anymore.
Just wear a suit and tie when you go. The response will be much better. Trust me. I usually buy retail on my lunch break or on the way home from work when I can hit a few stores and you actually feel a lot more powerful carrying a Target basket with $200 worth of retail when you are dressed up.

It also works when you want to buy a product a day early. Just politely walk up to a Target employee in your business attire and ask if they can open the Excel boxes a bit early so you can get the product first. It always works.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Just wear a suit and tie when you go. The response will be much better. Trust me. I usually buy retail on my lunch break or on the way home from work when I can hit a few stores and you actually feel a lot more powerful carrying a Target basket with $200 worth of retail when you are dressed up.

It also works when you want to buy a product a day early. Just politely walk up to a Target employee in your business attire and ask if they can open the Excel boxes a bit early so you can get the product first. It always works.
That actually does sound like a good idea, I always feel more confident when I'm dressed in a suit and tie. Thanks for the advice
Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertr1105 View Post
Whenever I talk about it at school the other kids give me a swirly and call me mean names. And I've also never told anyone until now that I have the 2006 Bowman Draft Longoria Superfractor Auto
i dont know much about baseball, but that'd be a sweet card to have! also, your signature is wicked (not referrin to yankees, giants, or devils)

as for the OP, i feel just like many others in here... i dont bring it up with any of my friends. my last couple GFs knew about it and didnt care or bother them, but i do feel a slight sense of embarrassment so i never bring it up with anyone a lot of you mentioned that when people joke or laugh about it, then you bring up how much one card you own is worth or how much you've sold cards for... what if your collection consists of mostly low-end? or you're just a casual collector? then the numbers wouldnt be as significant to others. (furthermore, even with a high-priced card/collection, others outside the hobby may not understand why that potential cash isnt used towards something more useful, such as a car, mortgage, charity, stocks, etc). maybe i simply care too much about what other ppl think
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #141 (permalink)

I have to be honest here..if people like you, they don't give a crap if you collect or not. As long as you have other hobbies, it just make you a more well rounded individual. In fact, every woman I've told has at least pretended for a little while that they think it's cool and they're really interested. As far as going to Target to buy retail, not to be rude, but why would anyone give a damn what the Target employees think. This is just my two cents. I hope I haven't offended anyone.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
i feel it there proberly like eewww still buying pokemon or yugioh ha but i rarely get retail now because i never get s#it!!! HAS ANYONE PULLED ANTHING GREAT FROM RETAIL THO??? just want to know proberly start a trend about that or somone should becasue i would like to hear if someone gotten a big hit!
og_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by og_monster View Post
i feel it there proberly like eewww still buying pokemon or yugioh ha but i rarely get retail now because i never get s#it!!! HAS ANYONE PULLED ANTHING GREAT FROM RETAIL THO??? just want to know proberly start a trend about that or somone should becasue i would like to hear if someone gotten a big hit!
The odds of pulling anything from retail are so low, that you are basically throwing away your money. The only reason to get it is if you really can't wait to bust open some wax.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by og_monster View Post
My best hit in any base Topps product last year was a Mike Schmidt autograph from a Series 2 rack box, so yes big hits are in retail! To put that in perspective, I opened a total of 12 hobby/jumbo cases of S1, S2, and Update and the Schmidt retail was STILL my best pull.

Back on topic...unless you are a teenager, why do so many people in this thread have such large insecurities about card collecting? Everyone has hobbies...bowling, golf, softball, sight-seeing, reading, sailing, darts, gardening, fantasy sports etc. Why would any grown adult be completely comfortable with all other hobbies EXCEPT sports cards? Makes no sense to me. To each his own. I rarely go bowling but I wouldn't think any differently of a man who spent $50 a week at the lanes for his league. Why would they care if I spent $50 at the LCS in lieu of bowling? I don't think they would care. It's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #145 (permalink)

Other than my family, anyone who would give me a hard time for enjoying a hobby I love would not be in my circle.
AdamMcDermott88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #146 (permalink)

I'm not really secretive about it. People my age (29) are usually interested to know why I collect; they seem to appreciate the historical angle to card collecting, particularly when it comes to vintage cards. My fiancee is also remarkably understanding
I collect Ryan Zimmerman, Cal Ripken Jr., Stephen Strasburg, Anthony Rendon, Steve Lombardozzi, Dick Groat, Drew Storen, Brett Hayes, Bryce Harper, other Nationals and Orioles, and Duke basketball players.
thisisradioclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisradioclas View Post
I'm not really secretive about it. People my age (29) are usually interested to know why I collect; they seem to appreciate the historical angle to card collecting, particularly when it comes to vintage cards. My fiancee is also remarkably understanding
I appreciate your comment. Honestly, I've told a lot of women about my collecting habit, and they have shown interest. In fact, one of them is here right now. If you're too embarrassed about collecting to tell others, then don't do it; or think about why you're thinking like that to try to get others to like you.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #148 (permalink)

I'm still in college but a lot of people know that I collect baseball cards.
My family knows and somewhat supports it since they'd prefer that I have a addiction (for lack of a better word) to baseball cards instead of weed, cocaine and alcohol like most college students.
My friends know as well and they have no problem with it since I have to put up with their various hobbies as well (all-nighters, massive hangovers, bad trips etc...).
In the end I'm not ashamed to say I collect baseball cards, this hobby's kept me happy and that's all that matters.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #149 (permalink)

It's not like your pulling a Marv Albert haha.. I don't get what's to be embarassed about. Maybe 15 years ago before they're were tons of auto's and memorabilia but what's the difference in owning a framed autographed photo on your wall (which 99.99% people have in some form) and an autographed card in a display case?

Most people collect something as a hobby.. just be glad u didn't get the itch for stamps or pez lol
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #150 (permalink)

Maybe it is because I've been married for over a decade, and have a kid that is 10 as well, but I don't know - I kind of like to think that there is some charm related to a grown man collecting baseball cards. There is a hint of innocence that goes along with it, I think. I've never been embarrassed to tell others, though, I do play the card up by attaching the comment "yes, I know - I'm 12." to it every time it comes up!
mouschi is offline   Reply With Quote