Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Upton rejects trade to Seattle

Justin Upton vetos possible trade to Mariners - MLB - SI.com

It's amazing that a 25 year old player can reject a trade to a team. When these players hold out for a ton of money they say it's business, but when a team wants to trade a player some have the right to say no. Being traded to any team should also be part of the business no matter how long you're in the league. It's crazy that these guys make millions AND can decide where they do/don't want to go.
jayjay0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

They're not objects, they obviously have rights too? You think the league just owns them like a slab of meat? I would reject the hell out of that trade too, that organization is a black hole. You see why Ichiro got out.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay0122 View Post

It's amazing that a 25 year old player can reject a trade to a team. When these players hold out for a ton of money they say it's business, but when a team wants to trade a player some have the right to say no. Being traded to any team should also be part of the business no matter how long you're in the league. It's crazy that these guys make millions AND can decide where they do/don't want to go.
How dare they have the right to say no!!!! It's just like team a offering 5 yr/$50 million and team b offering the same deal. It's a choice the player has to make. Also, some players only want to play for a "contender".
Copeskey45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bowman Scout

According to Jon Heyman, the Mariners would have given up Taijuan Walker and Nick Franklin, among others, in this trade.

If you want to make your message board experience a lot more enjoyable, simply block those who constantly lie, deflect and troll others. You'll be glad you did.
Jaypers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckilgor5 View Post
They're not objects, they obviously have rights too? You think the league just owns them like a slab of meat? I would reject the hell out of that trade too, that organization is a black hole. You see why Ichiro got out.
He plays for MLB and is property of the Diamondbacks. If they want to trade him they should be able to trade him where ever they want. Nobody's forcing him to play for MLB. I'm just saying it should be part of the "business" just like the players call it when they hold out for every dollar they can get.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

as much as I like his upside, I feel like Seattle was just giving up too much. Would have been exciting to have him, but not at that price
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

I understand he is a member of the DBacks, but its not as though he is owned by them. He isn't a slave, he's not a pawn bereft of any personal rights. He's an investment, an asset of the DBacks. They know that, and so does he. He obviously has leverage in his contract so he used it to avoid a crappy situation as a 25 year old baseball player. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
He plays for MLB and is property of the Diamondbacks. If they want to trade him they should be able to trade him where ever they want. Nobody's forcing him to play for MLB. I'm just saying it should be part of the "business" just like the players call it when they hold out for every dollar they can get.
The DBacks were not forced to give him a partial no trade clause in his contract, and even if they were it would have been collectively bargained. So what if he makes alot of money, if he and the team agreed to the no trade clause then what is the problem if he decides to exercise it? Obviously it may seem odd that a 25 year old already has a partial no trade claude as usually that happens with players when they are in their 30s, but again that is on the team if they gave it to him. Just as he had the right to ask for alot of money on his contract the team could have refused his request for a partial no trade clause and not resigned him.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Could you imagine if you could be traded from your job? You walk in to McDonald's one day in Miami and your boss tells you to pack your crap because you got traded to a McDonald's in Boise, Idaho. He negotiated this in to his contact. What is he doing wrong?
JoshEngleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEngleman View Post
Could you imagine if you could be traded from your job? You walk in to McDonald's one day in Miami and your boss tells you to pack your crap because you got traded to a McDonald's in Boise, Idaho. He negotiated this in to his contact. What is he doing wrong?
Because it's exactly the same...
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Trade??

Could the Rangers be sitting in the background??
3cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Greedy A-hole, I'll take 1/4th of his pay and play anywhere.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckilgor5 View Post
Lol beautifully stated.. When the player and team negotiates, the player wins the right if no trade clause. The team had the choice to give him that rigjt or not. And plus i would be pissed at dbacks for tryin to trade me to last place team that will not taste playoffs for yrs to come
Joshua961203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua961203 View Post
Lol beautifully stated.. When the player and team negotiates, the player wins the right if no trade clause. The team had the choice to give him that rigjt or not. And plus i would be pissed at dbacks for tryin to trade me to last place team that will not taste playoffs for yrs to come
Proof? I want to know how you can predict the future
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
The DBacks were not forced to give him a partial no trade clause in his contract, and even if they were it would have been collectively bargained. So what if he makes alot of money, if he and the team agreed to the no trade clause then what is the problem if he decides to exercise it? Obviously it may seem odd that a 25 year old already has a partial no trade claude as usually that happens with players when they are in their 30s, but again that is on the team if they gave it to him. Just as he had the right to ask for alot of money on his contract the team could have refused his request for a partial no trade clause and not resigned him.
I blame MLB, not necessarily Upton. I just feel like it shouldn't be in any players contract. MLB should scrap the whole no trade clause idea, but I realize that will likely never happen because the MLBPA would never have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEngleman View Post
Are you really comparing a Mcdonald's job to a MLB job?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't think you understand the business of sports. The no trade clause is part of the business. I don't know if you're a Mariners fan or just don't like the situation, but your statement seems idealistic almost naive. Players don't come in to the leauge looking to make friends and have a good time. They want to win and make as much money as they can. Owners don't become owners to meet new friends and get free seats to games. They become owners to make money. Just like the D'Backs have made money off of Upton, the Mariners wanted to as well. It's not like the owners don't get anything out of it. D'Backs messed up for giving him a partial no trade clause but that was part of the deal.

I don't know if you had your hopes up that players were different but most owners/players are greedy. The rest just play the business game of it to get what they're worth. If not, more players would play for the league minimum and sign 10 year contracts with their home team. But it's a business and both sides are trying to get more from the other. There is no loyalty sadly.

Last edited by Nodie27; 01-11-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Nodie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Not sure what you are upset about. He has a partial no trade clause, he used it, end of story. Not really much more to talk about here.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua961203 View Post
Astros? Methinks they will be claiming that title.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

He is holding out until Atlanta and Arizona get together on a trade package. The Braves need another outfielder, and he wants to play with his brother. Get it done Wren! Get rid of the over-valued talent while there is still value. Start with Teheran and Delgado.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
It's amazing that a 25 year old player can reject a trade to a team. When these players hold out for a ton of money they say it's business, but when a team wants to trade a player some have the right to say no.
That "right to say no" is a contract clause. Don't like it? Don't give it to him in the freaking contract.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I will be a teacher....I will sign a contract.. I get paid off a contract that I agreed to. Upton and the snacks (haha auto correct, I'll leave that) agreed on a contract.

I do like the 10 years, 5 years rule because look at players that may not have it in their contract but maybe they have kids and a family....hard to pick up and just move
stera8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
That "right to say no" is a contract clause. Don't like it? Don't give it to him in the freaking contract.
^^^^^^^ That! It's in his contract that he can veto trades. So what's wrong with it?

I can see a problem if the clause is not in the contact, then he gets traded and then he refuses to report. That's a problem.

The currenet situation is a non-issue.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Heyward BJ Upton and either Bourn (if we resign) Hinske or an external addition? We might not need an additional OFer. We also might REALLY need an external OFer.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

It's a lot of fun being a Mariners fan. A LOT OF FUN!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I blame MLB, not necessarily Upton. I just feel like it shouldn't be in any players contract. MLB should scrap the whole no trade clause idea, but I realize that will likely never happen because the MLBPA would never have it.

really?? You don't think that any players have a right to veto being forced to move to another team and relocate their families, change up the surroundings of their every day life??

Would you take a job where that particular company had the right to move you to where they chose to anywhere in the U.S. (or Toronto)?? I know that if my job told me that they needed me to move I would gladly hand in my resignation and join a different law firm.
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote