Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Topps - Hobby vs Jumbo HTA

Hey guys! Got a couple of questions about the Jumbo and Hobby boxes of Topps Baseball, as I'll be picking a box up when it hits. Which box is better for (taking account of price):
1. Set Building
2. Resale Value
3. Parallels
4. Giveaway Cards

And are the auto's that come in HTA boxes generally complete scrubs?
Thanks guys!
Jack
Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Jack ... here is my experience:

(1) Jumbos are much better for set building. You are almost guaranteed a complete base set. Hobby boxes, while typically very well-collated, will only give you about 280 out of the 330 cards you need to complete your set.

(2) For resale value, jumbos win again. You get 3 hits (and a guaranteed auto), while hobby boxes only yield 1 hit (and there's only about a 15% chance it will be an auto). Also, I believe jumbo boxes guarantee a manufactured relic as one of the 3 hits, and those typically sell very well out right after release. I also know you will have 10 giveaway codes in a jumbo box, as opposed to maybe 2-3 in a hobby box.

I'm partial to jumbos, even just from an aesthetic perspective, but I do think they yield a better return even at the higher price.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post

(1) Jumbos are much better for set building. You are almost guaranteed a complete base set. Hobby boxes, while typically very well-collated, will only give you about 280 out of the 330 cards you need to complete your set.

(2) For resale value, jumbos win again. You get 3 hits (and a guaranteed auto), while hobby boxes only yield 1 hit (and there's only about a 15% chance it will be an auto). Also, I believe jumbo boxes guarantee a manufactured relic as one of the 3 hits, and those typically sell very well out right after release. I also know you will have 10 giveaway codes in a jumbo box, as opposed to maybe 2-3 in a hobby box.

I'm partial to jumbos, even just from an aesthetic perspective, but I do think they yield a better return even at the higher price.
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it. Are the manufactured relics those coin cards and that sort of thing? Are they numbered? Just wondering as I'm not a huge fan of relics that have nothing to do with the player in them, just seem a bit pointless unless they are numbered.
Thanks!
Jack
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRage View Post
Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it. Are the manufactured relics those coin cards and that sort of thing? Are they numbered? Just wondering as I'm not a huge fan of relics that have nothing to do with the player in them, just seem a bit pointless unless they are numbered.
Thanks!
Jack
Sometimes they're numbered, sometimes they aren't. It seems Topps just randomly decides on that one. But yeah, for 2013 they are "commemorative relic" cards. MVP Award, Cy Young Award, and coin cards.

Also, giveaway codes have been 6 per hobby box in the past few years. 1:6 packs hobby, 1 per pack in jumbo. And the autos in jumbo boxes are more scrubs than good players, BUT the auto checklist for 2013 actually looks really strong.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

I agree with what everyone has said so far. Jumbo for me.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
Sometimes they're numbered, sometimes they aren't. It seems Topps just randomly decides on that one. But yeah, for 2013 they are "commemorative relic" cards. MVP Award, Cy Young Award, and coin cards.

Also, giveaway codes have been 6 per hobby box in the past few years. 1:6 packs hobby, 1 per pack in jumbo. And the autos in jumbo boxes are more scrubs than good players, BUT the auto checklist for 2013 actually looks really strong.
Ah ... didn't realize the giveaway codes were that frequent in hobby. Good to know.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jumbos are the way to go IMHO.
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post

Can the 'commemorative relics' be your one and only hit in hobby? Would be annoying if that was the case.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRage View Post
Can the 'commemorative relics' be your one and only hit in hobby? Would be annoying if that was the case.
Yes, but it's rare to get one in hobby though. They actually sell better than the normal relic card you'd get in hobby so it's not bad when you get one. Unless you do no selling, and then yeah it might suck lol.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you're only opening 1 box, go Jumbo.

If you're doing a small amount of cases (say 1-3), Hobby or Jumbo are going to give you about the same profit potential ON AVERAGE. Hobby will be more reliable in terms of profit if you sell smartly, but its also a whole lot more work and a lot less fun. How profitable a case will be will depend on any big hits, but opening a small amount of boxes/cases you can't rely on any HUGE hits in either, because odds are against you either way.

If you're doing a large number of cases, Jumbo is the only way to go (as you'll end up with more sets than you can sell through at a good price with Hobby on a large volume case break).

So I'd say if your main motivation is to have fun or you're buying less than a case, Jumbo is the way to go no matter what.

If guaranteed profit is your motivation, and you're willing to put in the work on a relatively boring break, Hobby will give you better results on 1-2 cases.

And of course if you're doing a large case break, Jumbo is the way to go for logistics alone.

But with all that said, if you're still debating about which to do 2 weeks out, I wouldn't recommend doing cases of either. The price you'll have to pay now will eliminate most profit potential on either type of case.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hobby is more profitable but takes a LOOOONG time to break. The "hits" are going to be garbage most of the time, you make your money on base topps with inserts, sets, sps, etc...

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

I agree and disagree lol. Yes, a single jumbo box provides much more value than a single hobby box, but one is $53 and one is $95 (average). If you are looking at price per card plus content, I would say Hobby wins, AND over the past 2 years pack odds have shifted in favor of Hobby for the bigger hits. It has been easier to get a big hit in hobby than jumbo if you compare both products by cost and the odds on major hits.

Hobby is annoying to sort and open though. Many choose jumbo for it's simplicity but if the decision was strictly financial I do think hobby is a better buy.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Hobby is annoying to sort and open though. Many choose jumbo for it's simplicity but if the decision was strictly financial I do think hobby is a better buy.
Agreed. And I just checked current prices, and man, I don't see much profit potential in Jumbo at nearly $600/case. With a big hit, you could still make something... but it would be pretty risky IMO if breaking for strictly financial reasons. On the other hand, Hobby right now is only $30/case more expensive than Jumbo. In terms of cost, Hobby is about $85 more expensive a case than Jumbo. So thats a RELATIVELY good deal. Both still above where I'd want to be at if I were opening for profit, but I believe thats where the current market is right now. S1 seems to stay strong, and Jumbos are allocated everywhere now, making them a little harder to come by.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

What's the best case for a master set?
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edclay View Post
What's the best case for a master set?
You should make 1 and be very close to a 2nd in Hobby.

You should be very close to 1 in Jumbo, if not complete it.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post

Absolutely true. Hobby will give you about 1.7 of each insert set, meaning it just takes a little trading to get a second one. Insert set collation is not as good in jumbos in my experience, netting on average about 0.75-0.8 of each insert set per jumbo case with significant duplication of inserts.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Originally Posted by ohiomike

Quote:
Absolutely true. Hobby will give you about 1.7 of each insert set, meaning it just takes a little trading to get a second one. Insert set collation is not as good in jumbos in my experience, netting on average about 0.75-0.8 of each insert set per jumbo case with significant duplication of inserts.
Good to know, thanks.
edclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

How many parallels do you pull in a box of Hobby vs Jumbo?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

has topps begun posting pics of the cards on facebook yet ? i cant tell , everytime i go on facebook now it says internet explorer has stopped working
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
has topps begun posting pics of the cards on facebook yet ? i cant tell , everytime i go on facebook now it says internet explorer has stopped working
They tweeted pictures 2 days ago of one card from every team. Pictures actually look pretty good this year, lots of action shots.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have another question if you guys don't mind. I'm interested in just putting together a set. Not looking at selling off hits or anything. I see Jumbos are up around $100 right now. How long until those prices start dropping?
ryansalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansalvatore View Post
I have another question if you guys don't mind. I'm interested in just putting together a set. Not looking at selling off hits or anything. I see Jumbos are up around $100 right now. How long until those prices start dropping?
If the product turns out to not be that good, you might see it around 80 in a month or two, but with the auto checklist looking promising and the new insert sets looking good, you probably aren't looking at too much of a drop.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansalvatore View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Series 1 typically holds its value (if not goes up even more) after release. And this year especially, Jumbos will be harder to come by. For several years now, LCS's have had to buy a hobby case for every Jumbo case they bought. So if they wanted 3 Jumbos, they had to buy 3 Hobbys. Before this year, that was never the case for 'distributors', but now it is. So since Jumbos are so much more popular than Hobby, they are going to become more scarce than usual, as all the big rip and flip guys prefer Jumbos and won't want to buy Hobby on a 1:1 ratio. I can't predict the future obviously, but if I had to guess, I could see Jumbos maintaining or going up, with Hobby falling after release.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
They tweeted pictures 2 days ago of one card from every team. Pictures actually look pretty good this year, lots of action shots.
cool man , thanks
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

one this to point out is that topps allocated jumbo cases. I had to buy 1 hobby case for every jumbo case that I ordered from my distributor.
bmuelle21 is offline   Reply With Quote