Blowout Cards Forums
Blowout Remix

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #51 (permalink)

My point is that the National is irrelevant for many collectors because it is always held in the same part of the country, regardless of whether you consider Chicago & Cleveland to be in the Midwest or Northeast.

From where I live in Seattle, the difference is irrelevant. There hasn't been a decent show in Seattle in close to 15 years. San Francisco is down to 1-2 decent shows a year. Not sure about LA...

Much like the Final Four & Super Bowl, the National should be rotated among the different regions of the country.

Year 1: West Coast (Seattle/SF/LA)
Year 2: Midwest (Chicago)
Year 3: South (Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/Miami)
Year 4: East Coast (Baltimore)

No need to always have it in the same part of the country....
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #52 (permalink)

Been looking at hotel prices close to the national. There seems to be a wide range of prices. Any suggestions on where to stay or where not to stay??
hargy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdavidjones View Post
I will be going. It will also be my first card show ever. Looking to spend some serious dough! Will be driving though. Who needs a ride?!
You're in the wrong Charleston
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #54 (permalink)

You both are in the wrong Charleston!!
hargy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #55 (permalink)

Absolutely planning on making the drive from Michigan to attend this year. Have friends and family in the area to stay with.
Castellanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
Maybe on August 1st. Doing the Kane County Cougars game, and then the Chicago Cubs game on the 31st (noon and 7:00) IF I can get a cheap hotel I will stay overnight, otherwise I will probably just make the 2 hour drive the next morning.
Is it on the first this year!?! OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT'S MY BIRTHDAY
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
My point is that the National is irrelevant for many collectors because it is always held in the same part of the country, regardless of whether you consider Chicago & Cleveland to be in the Midwest or Northeast.

From where I live in Seattle, the difference is irrelevant. There hasn't been a decent show in Seattle in close to 15 years. San Francisco is down to 1-2 decent shows a year. Not sure about LA...
They have it where they'll get the traffic (and good enough deals with the convention centers) to make it profitable. That isn't the west coast. You explained why in your post - those areas can't support bigger shows anymore. It's a business.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Much like the Final Four & Super Bowl, the National should be rotated among the different regions of the country.

West Coast National shows are awful. I've been to the last 12 in a row, including Anaheim in 2006. Awful, awful show. Personally, I think it should be in Cleveland every year.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #59 (permalink)

I'll take the 3 minute car ride to make it to the show this year...... I'll probably buy the VIP Package knowing that I'll be there at least 3 of the days..... This year I have a plan...... Bust a case or two at the Panini setup so I can claim my free packs..... Grab an auto or two at the pavilion ...... And catch up with a couple friends that live out of town that are fellow collectors ......
Old 01-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #60 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If you could only go for 2 days which 2 would you say were the best times from previous experience?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportCardBuffet View Post
If you could only go for 2 days which 2 would you say were the best times from previous experience?
If you are selling I would tell you that you HAVE to go on the first day.... Dealers are walking around buying up cards in hopes of flipping quick and finding good deals...... If you are buying, I would say you HAVE to go on the final day.... Dealers are trying to liquidate their stock and catch up on $$$$ spent that week...... Hope that helps a bit
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #62 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Wrightfan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
I'll be taking the short 7500 mile round-trip. Can't wait!
Wow! Some journey. I salute you!

I PC Mets cards, especially THOR, GOD OF THUNDER!
Wrightfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #63 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
They call it the National, but it's not. Every year it is held in either Baltimore, Cleveland, or Chicago, all in the Northeastern part of the country.

Until they hold it west of the Mississippi or south of the Mason-Dixon line on regular basis, they should really just call it the "Northeastern Regional Card Show".

For collectors in other parts of the country like me, the Tri-Star Houston and San Francisco shows are a much bigger deal.
Yeah, and the "World Series" isn't the World Series because it doesn't rotate through Europe, Asia, and Africa. I get it.

But the fact is that dealers, card companies, collectors, and buyers do consider it The National convention. Where it is held is dependent on venue and financial considerations, not on hitting every state in the Union.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #64 (permalink)

went last year but illinois is to0 far
Cardcollector07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #65 (permalink)

Sweet, I'll be going for sure.

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #66 (permalink)

I live in Oklahoma and it's always a long way(cause theres nothing close to Oklahoma) unless they had it in Dallas or Houston. I like the Rosemont area in Chicago because the convention center was very nice. Cleveland had its perks also, but i preferred Chicago. I think it would be neat to have a National out west somewhere but if its a terrible show then whats the point. I would like to see it in St. Louis or Pittsburgh sometime.
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hargy12 View Post
Been looking at hotel prices close to the national. There seems to be a wide range of prices. Any suggestions on where to stay or where not to stay??
If you stay in Rosemont the prices are a little higher. You can get a hotel a few blocks away for quite a bit cheaper. If you don't mind driving to the show each day stay a few blocks away. If you wanna walk to the show the stay right across from the convention center and pay a little more money. Last year we walked everywhere and it wasn't bad.......we didn't even get a rental car. This year we are driving up so we are going to stay a couple blocks away and drive to the show each morning.
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #68 (permalink)

I'm excited to be going. Going to make a mini vacation of it and I'm only 4 hours away and have tons of family in Chicago. I'll probably stay at the Holiday Inn again. Clean, cheap and convenient.
cyberpvnk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #69 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublexthebeast View Post
This year we are driving up so we are going to stay a couple blocks away and drive to the show each morning.
I think I paid around $20 for parking when I went to the Sun-Times show there last year. But that wasn't the problem. It was the long ass walk from garage, around the Hilton, through a bridge, and into the convention center. Definitely scope out parking.

I'm taking the train this year.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #70 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-on the parking thing, many area hotels have shuttle service for free, right to the front door. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express when i went a couple years ago, worked out great.

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:

there are a lot of people that travel to the National. But, I do see your point. Although, the promoters have been trying for different locations for a while. Baltimore was only 2 years apart because the dealers demanded it, and the convention center won't book dates farther out. So a deal was cut with Cleveland to switch years if they booked additional dates. Anaheim has help firm like Baltimore. They will not book the show far enough out. It must not be good for business, but the collectors suffer. It's hard for them to find certain places big enough that will allow several years booking.

I went to the Anaheim madhouse in 1991. I would love to go back. The area was nice and it seemed like a lot of hotels and area attractions were close.

Arlington and Atlanta were fun as well, but I don't think the dealers have done well there.

Have National VIP auto tix FS for Wed/Thr/Sun-ASK!
Gmrson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #72 (permalink)

yes that is my stomping ground
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #73 (permalink)

I'm in, went to Chicago two years ago and Baltimore last year, looking forward to my third time!
dodgerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
But the fact is that dealers, card companies, collectors, and buyers do consider it The National convention. Where it is held is dependent on venue and financial considerations, not on hitting every state in the Union.
Nobody is asking for it to hit every state of the union....just to be held west of the Rockies once every 3-4 years.

I, like many other collectors, cannot afford to go to a show which requires me to not only buy airfare and pay for a hotel, but also to take a day or two off work (since if I've gotta fly to the show, I'm not going to go for just one day).
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #75 (permalink)

Live in the NW burbs and I will be going. I cannot wait!!!
vollybal is offline   Reply With Quote