Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #76 (permalink)

I don't know what it is about the West Coast Whiners. Chicago is centrally located, probably the best location in the country for this event.

I'll be there again this year.
hoopster3977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3977 View Post
I don't know what it is about the West Coast Whiners. Chicago is centrally located, probably the best location in the country for this event.
Chicago is certainly centrally located, but it's still a long way from LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, etc.

Not too many collectors can afford to drop $500-1000 on hotel/airfare before even spending a single penny at the show itself.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #78 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-I would think it's basic convention planning at work. Milwaukee, Chicago, Dallas, etc are hubs for many flights, especially if you want to go anywhere in the midwest. I don't know about flight prices, but for both convenience and appealing to the most attendees, i would think it better to have shorter flights for the majority of attendees versus short ones for one coast and long-ass ones for the other.

Further, Baltimore notwithstanding, common convention planning usually wants there to be 'stuff' to do around the convention but not too much 'stuff'. That's why it's not actually in Chicago, a town more than capable of handling a show in the shadows of the city proper. It also typically accounts for more reasonably-priced accommodations, general access, cost savings on the lesser-visited area restaurants, etc.

I'm sure someone in the hospitality industry could explain most of this better than I. Plus, if they have had bad experiences on the west coast in the past, why the heck would they return?

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #79 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
Chicago is certainly centrally located, but it's still a long way from LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, etc.

Not too many collectors can afford to drop $500-1000 on hotel/airfare before even spending a single penny at the show itself.
-That works both ways, though. If you moved a convention to the coasts, more people would be paying that higher rate, assuming a reasonably-even distribution of attendance from all parts of the country. It's a lot cheaper for folks in the midwest to fly to ORD than it is LAX, over $500 cheaper in most instances. Same with flying to ORD from Tulsa, Boston, Atlanta, etc. Without attendee origination numbers, we don't know what region of the country attends more than others, but the central location seems to catch the widest area for flight prices.

lobo_hacker, not going to the National again, but did have fun
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #80 (permalink)

I know this may be off topic, but isn't this thing in Cleveland next year? I wonder if that will hurt/help/have no effect on the convention? I know I'd be there, I live 20 minutes from the convention center.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
I know this may be off topic, but isn't this thing in Cleveland next year? I wonder if that will hurt/help/have no effect on the convention? I know I'd be there, I live 20 minutes from the convention center.
It's been there several times so the dealers must do well. It's a ways from donwntown. I've only done 1 day trips but plan on doing several days next year. Anybody know if shuttles run from the hotels here? Would hate to pay daily parking.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #82 (permalink)

I'm going to Chicago from California. I got a really good hotel rate at the Hyatt, so that's where I'll be.
lisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
It's been there several times so the dealers must do well. It's a ways from donwntown. I've only done 1 day trips but plan on doing several days next year. Anybody know if shuttles run from the hotels here? Would hate to pay daily parking.
I think I stayed at the hotel at the airport last time, and yes there was a shuttle. It was nice and easy!
lisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #84 (permalink)

I have been living in California the past two years, but this year I moved back to Indiana for graduate school. My parents live about 45 minutes from the convention so I am definitely going! I am excited for my first National Convention!!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #85 (permalink)

Hellz yes, I have never been to Chicago and I went to my first National in B-more last year by mysefl and it was still awesome. So many nice cards, so many cool dealers, I was getting Brad Miller Wrapper Redemption Auto for liek 15 bucks (not lying!) and CJ Cron Plate Autos for like $75 and the dealer would just "throw in" a Geroge Springer/Matt Barnes Dual for $10, lol. It is definitely cool if you haven't been just to see the shear size of the venues and how many people love cards!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-I would think it's basic convention planning at work. Milwaukee, Chicago, Dallas, etc are hubs for many flights, especially if you want to go anywhere in the midwest. I don't know about flight prices, but for both convenience and appealing to the most attendees, i would think it better to have shorter flights for the majority of attendees versus short ones for one coast and long-ass ones for the other.

Further, Baltimore notwithstanding, common convention planning usually wants there to be 'stuff' to do around the convention but not too much 'stuff'. That's why it's not actually in Chicago, a town more than capable of handling a show in the shadows of the city proper. It also typically accounts for more reasonably-priced accommodations, general access, cost savings on the lesser-visited area restaurants, etc.

I'm sure someone in the hospitality industry could explain most of this better than I. Plus, if they have had bad experiences on the west coast in the past, why the heck would they return?

lobo_hacker

this is the most reasonable explanation of convention planning i've ever read on a card board
thenwhatjk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #87 (permalink)

I hope to go, it'll be my first. Just have to convince the wife to make a drive out to Indianapolis to visit family and then I would make the 3 hour drive from there to the National.

I would only be able to make it to one of the days. Do companies do giveaways or specials on different days? Will there be a schedule of giveaways/specials? Would be good to know so I pick the right day to go.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #88 (permalink)

I love that it is here every other year. Ill be there.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #89 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post

lobo_hacker
Just wanted to add that I heard from a few different people that I know that live on the east coast said that they did horrible (for a National) at the Baltimore National. They all pretty much said it was because the east coast is used to having huge shows multiple times a year. Move it to the Midwest and you are pulling large sections of the US that are not "used" to large shows multiple times a year.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #90 (permalink)

Flying in Friday and leaving Monday
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #91 (permalink)

I just don't get why they do it in Cleveland. The city is not the most pleasing. I would love it if they did it in Milwaukee. Milwaukee has a bad reputation but is not that bad. Only problem would be finding a place large enough.
Some other options could be
Boston
Louisville KY
Indianapolis
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #92 (permalink)

Have they released anything about who will be signing. Picked up Kessinger and Smith 2 years ago, so I hope it to be someone I dont already have in my Cubs collection.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
Just wanted to add that I heard from a few different people that I know that live on the east coast said that they did horrible (for a National) at the Baltimore National. They all pretty much said it was because the east coast is used to having huge shows multiple times a year. Move it to the Midwest and you are pulling large sections of the US that are not "used" to large shows multiple times a year.
Were they dealers setting up that only do the Baltimore National? A few of the dealers I talked to were having a good show as of Friday. The ones I recall were from Michigan, Ohio, Florida & St. Louis.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #94 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
Were they dealers setting up that only do the Baltimore National? A few of the dealers I talked to were having a good show as of Friday. The ones I recall were from Michigan, Ohio, Florida & St. Louis.
they are east coast dealers that do the shows all the time.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #95 (permalink)

Another reaosn for the locations is because of how huge the National is. If you have ever been, not too many convention centers could properly house the event with a good setup. BTW I thought the National was awesome in Baltimore but I don't have another to compare it to. I know a lot of sellers who were really happy too.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #96 (permalink)

Im going this year. I was at the last national in chicago and had a good time. Worth going to if your gonna open wax in front of a company rep. I ripped a lot of national treasures and made out on the mystery packs. Excited for the vintage, just started collecting.
Onlythefinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
I think this is an important point. There are tons of shows every year in the Upper Midwest/Northeast. Chicago itself has several shows each year that are of comparable quality to the National.

If the National is held occasionally in other parts of the country it will bring in a huge number of collectors who have never been to a show like the National before.

I've lived in Seattle since 2000, for example. In all that time, there hasn't been a single card show with more than 50 tables.

I grew up in San Francisco. Even though the Bay Area is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country, there are only two major shows a year there (TriStar at the Cow Palace, and one in the South Bay).

Not sure what the situation is in Southern California, so I'll let someone else speak to that.

My point is that there is a huge segment of collectors who are not being served by the National, and never will be if it is always held in Chicago/Cleveland/Baltimore.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #98 (permalink)
Banned

Waiting for it come back to Cleveland in 2014..
True_MaizeNBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
I just don't get why they do it in Cleveland. The city is not the most pleasing. I would love it if they did it in Milwaukee. Milwaukee has a bad reputation but is not that bad. Only problem would be finding a place large enough.
Some other options could be
Boston
Louisville KY
Indianapolis
This is why they go to Cleveland. The I-X Center is a big building. Im guessing they used about half of the available space when I went in '07. Plus there is a lot to do sports wise in NE Ohio cause it's usually the same weekend as the WGC event at Firestone in Akron and the HOF induction in Canton. It actually kind of sucks knowing all the potential signers in the area already who cant go.
rtcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #100 (permalink)

I also agree that the I-X Center is a fairly large place to have something like this. It's also really nice being right next door to the tarmac as you land at Cleveland Hopkins Airport. They also have a fair amount of hotels in the area and I'm sure they will be offering some kind of taxi service to and from the hotel to the I-X Center.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote