Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishy story at LCS the other day

Was talking with some random guy at the LCS not long ago while stacking up on supplies and they had a fishy story..... or was it?

Guy claims that he is or was able to generate his own redemption code and claim cards.

Obviously I called BS but then he broke it down to me like this:
All you need is time and more time. He looked at redeemed codes and noticed that they are all 10 alpha numeric digits (bowman redemptions) and that a lot start off with the same characters. So all he said you have to do is sit down and take a good code and just change 1 or 2 characters and eventually you will land on a good code. sometime you need to change a 3rd character but after a whuile you will eventually land a good code or a few. he did not tell me what he has landed by doing this.

I still called BS but something tells me that it "might" be possible, no? What do you guys think about this?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Either way, that is one shady guy.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/teosdesserts/
teosdesserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know that you can only enter an incorrect code so many times to avoid this. Topps even locks your account if too many incorrect codes are entered. I wouldn't say it's not possible but I'd say it's highly unlikely he's actually successful doing this.

He probably got lucky once and exaggerated
King23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB81 View Post
Was talking with some random guy at the LCS not long ago while stacking up on supplies and they had a fishy story..... or was it?

Guy claims that he is or was able to generate his own redemption code and claim cards.

Obviously I called BS but then he broke it down to me like this:
All you need is time and more time. He looked at redeemed codes and noticed that they are all 10 alpha numeric digits (bowman redemptions) and that a lot start off with the same characters. So all he said you have to do is sit down and take a good code and just change 1 or 2 characters and eventually you will land on a good code. sometime you need to change a 3rd character but after a whuile you will eventually land a good code or a few. he did not tell me what he has landed by doing this.

I still called BS but something tells me that it "might" be possible, no? What do you guys think about this?

its possible but u just have to b lucky! lol that would suck for the person whos code got used!
og_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I am thinking he either got really lucky 1-2 times and is exaggerating his experience or he just pulled thast one out of thin air.

Interesting to hear about it either way.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm sure there are people with multiple accounts that do this... Not even close to impossible. I had like 10 redemption codes from the same product and they were all only like 1-3 characters different. Most being only 2 characters off
sucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB81 View Post
All you need is time and more time.
Which you don't have because 1) codes expire and 2) people who get them legitimately will redeem them and the code will no longer be valid.

Redemption codes are 10 characters long (8 if you don't count the first two characters which) with a 36 character charset size. That's 3,760,620,109,779,060 possibilities (2,901,713,047,668). Let's say there are 100,000 possible "correct" codes. That lowers your odds to around 37,606,201,097 of hitting one of the 100,000 valid codes. You are 700 times more likely to hit the Mega Millions jackpot.

So how much time do you need? If you could type 1,000 codes in to the redeem.topps.com site per second, it would take you, on average, 1.2 years to hit one code. I suspect they would lock the account long before that because that's 86 million codes per day.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

well, for 2012 Topps, 99% sure the first 3 characters is the product: BSB (Bowman Sterling Baseball), DPB (Draft Pick Baseball), SFB (Strata Football), BCB (Bowman Chrome Baseball), TTB (Triple Threads Baseball), TCF or CFB (Topps Chrome Football). So it eliminated 3 of the 10 character. Now if he has enough valid codes to figure out the rest............Nah, highly unlikely
hche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

The card companies will lock your account if you enter 5 consecutive codes incorrectly.

AND this is stealing. Do not do it, or you will burn in hell.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
The card companies will lock your account if you enter 5 consecutive codes incorrectly.

AND this is stealing. Do not do it, or you will burn in hell.
I could give a $hit less about someone someone stealing from Topps, but some little kid is getting robbed for the code he would have unlocked.

That is, if this isnt a load of crap, which it sounds like.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

This is the reason you surround yourself with smart people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Which you don't have because 1) codes expire and 2) people who get them legitimately will redeem them and the code will no longer be valid.

Redemption codes are 10 characters long (8 if you don't count the first two characters which) with a 36 character charset size. That's 3,760,620,109,779,060 possibilities (2,901,713,047,668). Let's say there are 100,000 possible "correct" codes. That lowers your odds to around 37,606,201,097 of hitting one of the 100,000 valid codes. You are 700 times more likely to hit the Mega Millions jackpot.

So how much time do you need? If you could type 1,000 codes in to the redeem.topps.com site per second, it would take you, on average, 1.2 years to hit one code. I suspect they would lock the account long before that because that's 86 million codes per day.
C&M Sports Memorabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's bunch of BS and that guy sounds shady as f**k
Mt death2redemption...you started this by your lies!!! A real stand up member!!! You have said lie after lie after lie about me...its funny whenever I used to say anything you would not use my quote but add or subtract to it....I guess you have to keep your fake world going....oh just if your members knew... your worse then a liar....your a created of lies.... - Jason Mars
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mathematically it is certainly possible. But given they lock you out after 5 incorrect tries changes everything. There are sorry M-F'ers everywhere that work hard at being criminals. If you scoured Ebay and bought a significant amount of redemptions from 1 product within the first week they came out then it is well within reason that if you had some knowledge of math sequences you could get some of them right. Then to add to the BS........just because they get locked out of an account doesn't mean anything........whats to stop them from creating multiple accounts? Its total fraud and it sucks but it is certainly possible.
Doublexthebeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Of course its possible, but not likely...

Topps locks your account after a few failed attempts
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think topps would be onto a person creating multiple accounts fairly quickly. Not to mention you have to put in a address and a person can only have so many addressees to send their stolen cards to.
saraceno21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

People who attempt (and possibly succeed) fancy their crimes as some sort of Oceans 13 heist. See it all the time on the news when some clown steals someones identity and the cops find him sitting at home with 10 big screens or something.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

i always figured that redemption codes can be guessed from legit ones but as stated, having your account locked out after a few false guesses would have to alert these guys that something is up. maybe he got lucky on a few, but I would hope that these companies are smart enough to not have sequential codes (ie changing the last letter or number in the code).
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

First few letters represent series, example BSB-Bowman Sterling Baseball
Thommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

This is the reason the codes don't work on some of the redemptions that are pulled, because of people like him
Mt death2redemption...you started this by your lies!!! A real stand up member!!! You have said lie after lie after lie about me...its funny whenever I used to say anything you would not use my quote but add or subtract to it....I guess you have to keep your fake world going....oh just if your members knew... your worse then a liar....your a created of lies.... - Jason Mars
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

Like mentioned above, would hate to see the kid who saves up to buy cards and lands a neat redemption and finds out he cant redeem it.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Even more reason the companies like Topps need to absolutely STOP THE REDEMPTIONS!!!! If that was done criminals would need to actually steal the cards from a store rather than sitting in front of a computer.

Also I am sure there are those out there that have created some type of computer program to get online and put in logical codes that would work. The problem is that they do not have anyway of knowing which codes have alrady been reddemed.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

You should have punched his face with a brick
either way.