Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to free2131
Default Question about 1998 S.I. First Edition 1/1's (Possible Fake)?

A guy has a few listed, including this Glavine:

1998 Sports Illustrated First Edition Tom Glavine Only 1of1 Masterpiece 1 1 RARE | eBay

Looking at his other items, he has a lot of "proofs" and "blank back" cards. I was wondering maybe if these are either back doored or maybe even had the "The ONLY 1 of 1 Masterpiece" added to the back of back doored EI cards that were not serial numbered? I think the S.I. were Fleer cards and I know Fleer was known to have back doored a lot of cards during the bankruptcy.

Am I just being paranoid?

Last edited by free2131; 01-30-2013 at 10:46 PM.
free2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, they both sold for a lot less than I thought they would, so maybe others had the same reservations that I had. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting, but I am skeptical. Here is what I think the 1 of 1s looked like: 1998 Fleer Sports Illustrated World Series Fever First Edition - The card you link to looks identical to the extra edition parallels numbered to 250, - http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1..._Bonds/2188352 - the only difference being the 1 of 1 numbering on the back.

Last edited by njterp; 01-30-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: added another link, changed choice of words
njterp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmmmmm appears I was wrong according to this: zoom in on the first edition section, there is a blurb that explains that the 1 of 1s are identical except for the numbering.

2010 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards - Google Books
njterp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njterp View Post
Hmmmmm appears I was wrong according to this: zoom in on the first edition section, there is a blurb that explains that the 1 of 1s are identical except for the numbering.

To be honest, with all the other "proofs" and "promos" from Fleer he was selling and the fact he had several of these cards makes me think that these were backdoored.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by njterp View Post

Didn't look at this one but the one I have also states they are printed in Purple so should be legit. I have a couple of the one's to 98 from the world series edition that are of Braves players if you are looking let me know.
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

the simple fact that the same seller had numerous players from this is a bit of a red flag to me.. along with the fact he is selling all bankruptcy cards. I have also seen 2 completely different looking purple fonts on these cards which also added more suspicion. There was another seller who listed just one of these and the purple font was considerably more bold than the rest of these listings.

I believe this seller was the one who contacted me by direct email offering the Canseco. turns out he also contacted about 3 or 4 other Canseco collectors in hopes of starting a big bidding war for it. I'm sure he made out pretty well on it but I didn't offer much on it due to all the recent questions about these.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
A guy has a few listed, including this Glavine:

1998 Sports Illustrated First Edition Tom Glavine Only 1of1 Masterpiece 1 1 RARE | eBay

Looking at his other items, he has a lot of "proofs" and "blank back" cards. I was wondering maybe if these are either back doored or maybe even had the "The ONLY 1 of 1 Masterpiece" added to the back of back doored EI cards that were not serial numbered? I think the S.I. were Fleer cards and I know Fleer was known to have back doored a lot of cards during the bankruptcy.

Am I just being paranoid?
I have been skeptical of them as well. While they could be legit (they certainly appear to be), I wouldn't bid.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

I saw that he had the Frank Thomas up for sale, but I had never seen or heard of any SI 1/1's before. I stayed away...

ALSO BUYING LARGE LOTS FOR RESALE (90'S INSERTS PREFFERED) - ACCEPTING LOTS FOR CONSIGNMENT AS WELL
Brandt504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Bump.

I just noticed this post now. I, too, was suspicious of how many 1/1's this particular seller had for sale. But I put in some lowball bids and won three of them. I then sent them in to BGS.

The Tony Gwynn and Greg Maddux ones each graded a BGS 9, which I was thrilled with, since (a) they were confirmed to be real and (b) a lot of cards from this set have a fair amount of chipping.

Unfortunately, the Tom Glavine card came back as trimmed, but hey, two outta three ain't bad!

I wish I had picked up more of these. The Maddux went for $83, Gwynn for $66, and Glavine for $43. I may have missed out on a tremendous deal. I don't really care if these were backdoored so long as they're authentic one of ones!
ronaldkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

ronaldkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Didn't they have some kind of live auctions when fleer went belly up.I swore I heard people going to these auction back then and they where coming back with bulk items.
refuse24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldkosh View Post
Bump.

I just noticed this post now. I, too, was suspicious of how many 1/1's this particular seller had for sale. But I put in some lowball bids and won three of them. I then sent them in to BGS.

The Tony Gwynn and Greg Maddux ones each graded a BGS 9, which I was thrilled with, since (a) they were confirmed to be real and (b) a lot of cards from this set have a fair amount of chipping.

Unfortunately, the Tom Glavine card came back as trimmed, but hey, two outta three ain't bad!

I wish I had picked up more of these. The Maddux went for $83, Gwynn for $66, and Glavine for $43. I may have missed out on a tremendous deal. I don't really care if these were backdoored so long as they're authentic one of ones!
That's nice to know since I put a offer in on one this morning, although by the time I actually did it, there was another offer up. So I may miss out if the other person offered more, but oh well. I have this belief that most cards will show up again if you're patient enough :P
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote