Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does EEE hold value?

Never bought any in the past but am thinking about picking up some of the low numbered stuff. I know chrome is king but does it hold value?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

It will hold a small amount, but being unlicensed hurts it. Hopefully that changes next year.
stormshadow815 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Stars hold value. I bought a Will Myers at 17 and sold at 40. However, They never come close to the highest Chrome values. I amigine the people with Trout did really well also.
StlScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

It doesn't hold the value of Chrome but it's also much cheaper to get being unlicensed. You can do just as well flipping EEE as Chrome it's just on a cheaper level.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

if the player does not have a chrome auto ...yes
but once they get a chrome all bets are off

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'll pick up a little bit of it. They really are nice looking cards, hopefully they get the license soon.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I disagree with most opinions here ... the question asked is whether or not EEE holds value ... and it does. That value may not be as large as other sets (like Bowman or Bowman Chrome) but the autos go up and down in value the same as they do in other sets / based on performance, quality and rareness.

A 2010 Bowman Chrome Aroldis Chapman auto goes for $25, whereas a 2009 Elite auto goes for $35. I'm sure there are other examples like this but Panini has done an excellent job in delivering a quality, stuffed product that overdelivers this year (IMHO)
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

the answer is not really, like i bought 3 tyler austin eee's when they came out for near 100 bucks so 33 each, now that he has chrome autos they are what $20 bucks? But they could just as easily go up to $40-45 if he has a good stretch. I think because you get 6-10 autos per box EEE is still a good buy. I pulled a Bubba Starling on card bf I knew who he was and got a 9.5 BGS grade which could pay for the box if he continues to play well, also got some other names in the box last year so its solid value for a non licensed product.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
if the player does not have a chrome auto ...yes
but once they get a chrome all bets are off

Not entirely true, look at Matt Moore last year.
mwash1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

It holds it value a little but not as well as Chrome
Old 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

One thing that EEE has going for it is that it usually delivers a greater range of prospects. There are a variety of included prospects every year that don't have the notoriety yet or just plain haven't signed a chrome auto yet. This can lead to very high prices and high demand. Off the top of my head I recall Brandon Belt Elite Autos selling huge before his chromes came out. Arolids and Matt Moore also fit into the same category.
rarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarthur View Post
One thing that EEE has going for it is that it usually delivers a greater range of prospects. There are a variety of included prospects every year that don't have the notoriety yet or just plain haven't signed a chrome auto yet. This can lead to very high prices and high demand. Off the top of my head I recall Brandon Belt Elite Autos selling huge before his chromes came out. Arolids and Matt Moore also fit into the same category.

great point
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think you can still do well picking up singles and flipping once they get hot- like others said the value is just less than Bowman.

If you're looking to buy wax I would definitely wait- usually a few months after release the $2000 MSRP goes down to something like $1300. I think Bowman Sterling is a better value buy (wax wise) at the current prices.

I bought a case of 2011 EEE back in the summer (ugliest cards ever but much stronger checklist of course compared to this year). I only received 2 of the 4 or 5 hot boxes that I was supposed to get and Panini didnt do anything about it.

The design of 2012 is much, much better (2011 was bizarre and ugly- look at the Chris Perez and Blake Swihart cards) but I doubt Ill pick up any wax even when it gets cheaper. I actually liked 2012 Leaf Metal Draft- did really well ripping and flipping because it came out before all of the Bowman products- all the cards came in toploaders too and no junk worthless base. I think Leaf Metal Draft will be my annual non-Bowman prospect going forward.

I believe that Addison Russell only has "insert autos" in 2012 EEE- what's up with that?
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would say in the long run, yes - but a yes to only those super hot prospects/players. EEE is a clear example of when someone is hot, their prices skyrocket. If they do not, they bottom out fairly quickly imo.

I've only picked up a few boxes of EEE and upon release, prices are good and the stuff moves; after a few months, the prices then begin to separate, climbing high for the stars, while the question mark players take a steep drop.

Stick with chrome.
wickedliquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwash1983 View Post
Not entirely true, look at Matt Moore last year.

EEE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matt-Moore-2...5d38dad43811BC

Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

If you are going to buy any wax definately wait for the MAPP to drop off as someone earlier had said. Stuff will go down to like 70 a box rather than the 100 it's at now. It will usually stay pretty low for a couple years. However, once some of the guys start to come to the majors and get hot the product will go back up. Could actually be a good idea to buy up cases once the MAPP drops off and hold them for awhile, unfortunately I dont have that kind of cash lol

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
If you are going to buy any wax definately wait for the MAPP to drop off as someone earlier had said. Stuff will go down to like 70 a box rather than the 100 it's at now. It will usually stay pretty low for a couple years. However, once some of the guys start to come to the majors and get hot the product will go back up. Could actually be a good idea to buy up cases once the MAPP drops off and hold them for awhile, unfortunately I dont have that kind of cash lol
I don't think you can do that this year ... product is short printed (just 1,000 cases) and it's more "loaded" then in years past.

But we'll see ...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
I don't think you can do that this year ... product is short printed (just 1,000 cases) and it's more "loaded" then in years past.

But we'll see ...
do you have a source telling you this year is SP?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

But we'll see ...
are there any autos in the 900-1100 print run range

if yes they just made less than they hoped to
just because they made less cases does not mean they made less autos

Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
are there any autos in the 900-1100 print run range

if yes they just made less than they hoped to
just because they made less cases does not mean they made less autos
1,000 cases this year. This number is guaranteed ... opened 10 cases of EEE, pulled 1 Carlos Correa Jersey card #/999 in each case (have 10 more to open, will pull 10 more I guarantee you). The largest print run of any auto is 799 for the base (you add on variations for said autos, you get as high as 1,025 for select players), however the better autos all have much less print runs.

Almora, Russel, Correa, Wacha all short printed. Guys like Pat Light and Brian Johnson have base autos #ed /110 and more than half of the autos in the set have full print runs less than 750. I think it may have been by accident, considering that Panini delayed the launch a week and intended to produce more cases and autos but in a few months when the smoke clears, you won't have nearly as many autos and cases available on the market as you did last year.

Plus, they added a few new variations to help with value (Orange, green ink and red ink) ... I think the product does very well long term; especially for guys like Beras, Coulter, Berrios, Ruf etc. etc.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Does EEE hold value?????????????????????

Mike Trout 2009 Donruss Elite Auto Autograph Rookie RC 111 495 Mint | eBay

HELL YEAH!!!

Actually, it is really just all relative like chapmans said earlier. It is cheaper to acquire but it seems it fluctuates the same as other products, if a players chrome goes up 20%, typically you see a 20% increase in their EEE auto, it's just usually a much less expensive card. The great thing about EEE is their extensive auto list can mean first time auto's for many players that won't have chrome auto's for 2-3 more years in some cases.
TOMBB25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
Does EEE hold value?????????????????????

Mike Trout 2009 Donruss Elite Auto Autograph Rookie RC 111 495 Mint | eBay

HELL YEAH!!!

Actually, it is really just all relative like chapmans said earlier. It is cheaper to acquire but it seems it fluctuates the same as other products, if a players chrome goes up 20%, typically you see a 20% increase in their EEE auto, it's just usually a much less expensive card. The great thing about EEE is their extensive auto list can mean first time auto's for many players that won't have chrome auto's for 2-3 more years in some cases.
unfair to use trout as an example his stuff is like lebron in basketball once every long while.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
1,000 cases this year. This number is guaranteed ... opened 10 cases of EEE, pulled 1 Carlos Correa Jersey card #/999 in each case (have 10 more to open, will pull 10 more I guarantee you). The largest print run of any auto is 799 for the base (you add on variations for said autos, you get as high as 1,025 for select players), however the better autos all have much less print runs.

Almora, Russel, Correa, Wacha all short printed. Guys like Pat Light and Brian Johnson have base autos #ed /110 and more than half of the autos in the set have full print runs less than 750. I think it may have been by accident, considering that Panini delayed the launch a week and intended to produce more cases and autos but in a few months when the smoke clears, you won't have nearly as many autos and cases available on the market as you did last year.

Plus, they added a few new variations to help with value (Orange, green ink and red ink) ... I think the product does very well long term; especially for guys like Beras, Coulter, Berrios, Ruf etc. etc.
not being a dic* but where did you get this number? All you are saying is what you will likely pull. Did the manufacturer say 1,000? If so where.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
not being a dic* but where did you get this number? All you are saying is what you will likely pull. Did the manufacturer say 1,000? If so where.
The manufacturer has not said anything but I dare you to find a case of Panini EEE 2012 Baseball that does not have a Carlos Correa relic.

As they all do, there can only be 1,000 cases created. Plus, as I sit in front of more than 3,000 autos from various players, I can tell you that 2% of the entire print run is in my living room based on how many I have of each player.

The math does not lie ...
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

1,000 cases seems too low...