Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Card shows 32 41.03%
Internet buying (trades, eBay, etc.) 46 58.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The DE-evolution of the "card show"

Everyone lately is disappointed with card shows. I've only been back in the hobby for 6 months but I remember as a 14 year old kid I got disappointed over the years.

Example: when i was young in the mid 90s card shows were packed at many malls and now they are hard to find. I remember when beanie babies were big and I got mad of the idea that beanie babies were at a CARD SHOW.

I would like to hear of everyone's opinion of card shows but from the past and present. How were they in the 80s??
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm pissed just thinking about it. I've been in the card hobby for about 6 or 7 years now and I only know of 1 local card show. I remember not long before I started collecting there were monstrous shows that were held at the malls around here. I can remember 3 of them off te top of my head. Now, there's nothing. I have 1 mediocre show that goes off every first Thursday of the month. I've come to the conclusion that the hobby is basically dead to everybody else besides the few of is that are still out here grinding away
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan0134 View Post
I'm pissed just thinking about it. I've been in the card hobby for about 6 or 7 years now and I only know of 1 local card show. I remember not long before I started collecting there were monstrous shows that were held at the malls around here. I can remember 3 of them off te top of my head. Now, there's nothing. I have 1 mediocre show that goes off every first Thursday of the month. I've come to the conclusion that the hobby is basically dead to everybody else besides the few of is that are still out here grinding away
the hobby is not dead......... technology and the internet make it ten times as easy to find the card(s) you want now. shows were fine when i was 10-12 years old, but i'm glad i can have everything delivered to my doorstep.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm a show dealer and I can assure you neither the hobby or card shows are dead.
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME

nhsportsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
the hobby is not dead......... technology and the internet make it ten times as easy to find the card(s) you want now. shows were fine when i was 10-12 years old, but i'm glad i can have everything delivered to my doorstep.
Added a poll cause what you said is very very true
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not very social, so I never go to card shows. It would take a pretty special show very close to me for me to actually attend one.

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 01-26-2013 at 09:24 AM.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

The shows are a lot of fun. I live in Houston and we have the two Tri-Star shows every year that I go to. (The first show is this weekend)
Astronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

I like my card shows, but I've never been to a really big one. Card shows have a limited selection of cards, but eBay has much more to choose from. Shows are more fun, but eBay is more useful in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have two shows a year in CNY (one is tomorrow.)

I collect JP Arencibia, and at the last show, found NONE of his cards. Internet buying makes collecting him possible for me.

But they're still an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday.
rolewiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't been to a show in years. 10-12 years probably. I would love to go again, but there is nothing within 200 miles of me and probably won't ever be again.

If I had to choose between having local, regular, good shows to attend or having the internet (blowout, COMC, Ebay) I would choose the internet 100 times over.

It might be a de-evolution of the card show, but it's an evolution of the hobby and that's a good thing.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

As far as buying goes I voted for Internet but I love going to card shows. I love being able to see thing in person and just being able to chat or what not with others.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan0134 View Post
Is this the one in Cranston, RI at the VFW? There are far better ones out there if that is the one you are referring to.

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Shows are great but most dealers won't budge off their "book value" prices, which is why they do not sell much.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

I loved and still love card shows, but due to the internet, people talk bad about them. There is a once a month show put on by a lcs down here in Jacksonville and it's packed every time they have it. It's fairly small, maybe 30 tables at the most, but lots of nice cards and lots of traffic. I used to live in New Orleans and there would be a show down there once every couple of months and I set up one time and I bet there was 10-15 people show up the entire day. Not kidding either. It was terrible. I believe it has to do with the market the show is set up in.

I go to shows not expecting to find anything, but I just like looking around. Card shows aren't dead, but they're not like they used to be.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

I've only ever been to one card show (been in the hobby since July 2012). I'm not trying to be mean, but the last thing I want to do is spend a day in a place that smells like sweat and a** crack.

I know every hobby has "those people" (especially competitive video gaming) that lack a sense of hygiene, but seriously? I felt the same way when I went to MLG Columbus (Major League Gaming).

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

well this si a slippery slope as i sit set up at a show in wesminster maryland right this minute i buy alot at shows and on the internet i don't chose one over the other but the internet has sorta killed shows most collectors think that the only good deal to be had is online whereas i buy great stuff just to put online the mall shows are sort of a thing of the past at least around the northern md south central pa area the mall asks so much for rent promoters cannot qafford to run a show and keep the price of tables down and there is no personnel connect with dealers online it does not matter who they are but the hobby goes on
bbcardsrgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Online. Show dealers are usually (not always) dicks. I used to be one (dealer and dick...well still dick) so I have some experience there.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

There's a local show every 6 months or so that I enjoy attending. It's fun from a social aspect. There is still an element to a face to face conversation and browsing cards live "in hand" that technology can't replace.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711 Cards View Post
Shows are great but most dealers won't budge off their "book value" prices, which is why they do not sell much.
You mean $80 for a 2012 Gypsy Queen auto of Jose Bautista is too much?

Why I never!
rolewiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

I used to set up at shows all the time in the very late 80's up to the late 90's. We also we in charge of setting up a few shows in my hometown. There was nothing like a 50+ table card show! We were big into the Starting Lineup craze and we traded and sold hundreds. Saying that, trading was the main game at shows. Trading with others who were set up was the best. However, you always had 1 or 2 guys who came in with a monster box filled with nice stuff that they wanted to get rid of. My best show was when 93-04 Hoops just came out and the Isaiah Rider card was HUGE! Guys were ripping boxes of that stuff and so were we. The Rider was selling for $50 plus...a HUGE amount back in that day. Webber and Hardway were also in there and going for big bucks. I bet we opened 10+ boxes and sold hundreds of cards from those boxes. The best part was I would sell hundreds of dollars worth of cards, sometimes thousands, and would always use that money to buy more cards from the other dealers. I had a blast with my dad for many years doing this. Today, shows are pretty lame. Obviously, guys are there to make money, not collect. That is just the way it is. I still go from time to time, but most of my buying/selling is online...and there are only 1 or 2 shows a year around my area anymore. I have always loved the hobby and have passed that down to my 7 year old son. We are actually planning to go to the national in 2014 for his first show.
michaeltgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcardsrgreat View Post
well this si a slippery slope as i sit set up at a show in wesminster maryland right this minute i buy alot at shows and on the internet i don't chose one over the other but the internet has sorta killed shows most collectors think that the only good deal to be had is online whereas i buy great stuff just to put online the mall shows are sort of a thing of the past at least around the northern md south central pa area the mall asks so much for rent promoters cannot qafford to run a show and keep the price of tables down and there is no personnel connect with dealers online it does not matter who they are but the hobby goes on
Longest sentence ever on Blowout?
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #22 (permalink)

I like going to shows even though I can't find cards of my guy anymore unless I dig deep in bargain bins that haven't been heavily picked through already. With my guy being in all the new Leaf products I actually bought an auto out of a guys showcase at White Plains which was the first show card I've bought in over 2 years. Ebay has definately revolutionized the hobby but being one of the many pre Ebay collectors its not nearly as much fun as walking out of a show with a stack of your favorite cards like I used to do back in the late 80's and early 90's.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

Card shows are certainly fun to attend (we have 1 that is on twice a week), but my finds there have been very limited. They try to sell you on the idea that you are getting a great deal when they say this row is 70%, yet the book price they have is way high so it evens out. Ebay is still the easiest way to shop and doing research that you are not getting burned.
qbaf1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmtampa View Post
Longest sentence ever on Blowout?
Well there's no period at the end, so I'm assuming he just took a break.
mjbuchanan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab85 View Post
Is this the one in Cranston, RI at the VFW? There are far better ones out there if that is the one you are referring to.
Actually that is the one I'm referring to. I don't know of any other shows in my area without having to travel. There used to be WAY more around here, but the past 6 or 7 years, it just hasn't been the same