Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Storing, Organizing, Cataloging

Storing, Organizing, Cataloging

Just a little background - I originally collected cards like a lot of guys (some gals) my age as a kid and kept through my early college years. The drop in price (though I never sold anything) really discouraged me because all my 1988 Topps cards are worthless

After spending my disposable income on other vices - I got into coin collecting after auctioning and thought coin collecting feeds my need - plus in the end at least I have piles of silver. Then I got into MtG through another group of gamers, which you've guessed it has lead - you guessed it back to my original card and comic collections.

This board has been amazing so far and worked with a lot of good deals.

Now that I am starting to get my items in - I am at the realization that I need an efficient way to catalog, organize and store them. From the past I've used binders - but with my MtG I use penny sleeves for most everything. I like this way as it is easy to find something - not so good for displaying. I've also cataloged all of my cards using a pre-built database that I can just go check the cards I have.

This is the same way for the two coin collections that I manage.

However the drawback is that I have nothing on display. I can most generally find anything quickly...

So I am looking for some advice / this is what I do / a lot of people.... responses.

Organizing
I assume this is different depending on the type of "acquirer" you are - reseller, flipper, or collector. I assume the resellers are the most organized and have everything catalog under a bottom line of return they need. The flipper has two categories - good deal sales and their PC. The flipper doesn't really catalog what they have as they are looking to make an immediate profit and know what they have in their PC. The collector doesn't really care about all the cards they don't have in their PC or all of their cards are their PC so don't really track what they have in it - just have a list of PC cards they need.

So how do you organize? - I intend to be a flipper - but have really only sold my MtG items. I think this is because I was / am more familiar with what I want and can trade sale to get it as I play with those cards. I am leaning to sorting my personal collection by team and player and then all of my "trade" items by teams to quickly find if I have someone or be able to offer lot(s). Team seems the most logical until I build up a set of players.

Cataloging
How do you catalog your PC and trade items?

I see most people use the photobucket - why was this approach adopted? Given the multitude of social media types out there I am very hesitant about venturing into yet another to manage

What do you decide to scan and put on photobucket? Everything once you get it? Cards over $20...

Do most people use a spreadsheet to catalog as opposed to a database? I assume resellers use a database linked to both Ebay and their website.

Last - maybe the most important for me - where can you obtain a master list for PCs - i.e. how do I know what Barry Bonds cards were printed?

Storing
I guess shipping would be under this also. In the past I've used the plastic the snap protectors similar to:
Slider Boxes : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store
However what I've received is mostly top loaders - I would assume this is due to price. However if there are a lot of lowend cards to ship - over 20 - wouldn't one of those 25 cases dropped in an envelop work and be about the same as 20 rigid top loaders? And quicker?

Does anyone use albums? Seems like they can get damaged easier, especially thick cards.

Do you sleeve your cards immediately?

Is there a more space efficient way to store cards other than monster boxes?

Thanks for reading - if you have gotten this far

-JKP
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/spam-your-ebay-comc-listings-here-photobucket-sportslots-etc/484335-namttips-collection-threads.html --- Current Projects - Entertainment: Walking Dead and GoT - Baseball: Brian Wilson, Barry Bonds, SF Giants - Football: SF 49ers, Frank Gore, - Wrestling: Lanny Poffo, KoKo B. Ware
Namttip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Storing, organizing & Cataloging is something I need to do more of but often find myself browsing blowoutcards forums threads instead.

Probably should spend less time slacking off & watching youtube videos and more time doing that.

I have a photographic memory so I have a less organized system than most. I find that I should have a better organization system if I want to be more professional at it. Since my inventory is always changing, pretty much, I keep it in certain sections of my room in my parent's home (where I live). Ebay cards are next to the shipping table. Cards in other stores are on my video recording table & in boxes.

Consignments -- I have different spots in my room for all different consignments, and sometimes use the floor as sorting space -- Drives my parents buggy. I have 3 different big consignments going & one that is on hold at the present time. I keep track of all the sales in a month or so at a time & use Google Documents or Open Office.org Spreadsheet to calculate my percentage & their percentage. Turbolister keeps a log of every sale, so I know which ones go to which consignments.

My personal cards are stored under my table and underneath my bed in 3 row moving boxes. Not sorted of course. Most of the time I'm not sure what is in there, and wait till a rainy day to browse through the boxes & find more stuff to sell.

I do all my accounting through OpenOffice.org spreadsheetl on a monthly basis and calculate profit/loss in a cash flow basis. I went to school for accounting and know a lot of book keeping skills. Been trying to get better at keeping records as I've found it answers a lot of my questions like: Where is my money going? What am I doing with my time?

Also...Try to keep a budget and try to stick to it. I easily got carried away buying new investments & Flipping them and dug myself into a huge financial hole. Just digging myself out now. Finding some of the better deals that I have done, are the deals that I've said no to.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very true - something I haven't done so far... There's always a good deal.

-JKP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Also...Try to keep a budget and try to stick to it.

Finding some of the better deals that I have done, are the deals that I've said no to.

Hope this helps.
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/spam-your-ebay-comc-listings-here-photobucket-sportslots-etc/484335-namttips-collection-threads.html --- Current Projects - Entertainment: Walking Dead and GoT - Baseball: Brian Wilson, Barry Bonds, SF Giants - Football: SF 49ers, Frank Gore, - Wrestling: Lanny Poffo, KoKo B. Ware
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is the somewhere to get master's list of players - if one subscribes to Beckett can you search that way?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

""However what I've received is mostly top loaders - I would assume this is due to price.""

-I would think the top loader is for protection, not due to price. With a top loader, you use a penny sleeve, team bag. This protects the surfaces of the card from any scratching or abrasion that you don't get with one touch or placing a card in a semi-rigid holder. Particularly important with autos, there are some card brands and sets more susceptible to damaging/defacing if not using penny sleeve, chrome in particular can show surface issues if in direct contact with harder plastics.

When compared to boxes, it's normally about what folks have on hand. I'd rather receive cards in top loaders than boxes unless a soft foam insert or dummies are used in the box to prevent shifting/movement. Again, depends on card type as to your choice.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I do put my hits in penny sleeves immediately and prefer card savers. They can flex and not break. Card savers do cost a little more than top loaders I think but you get the added bonus of having the card ready to send for grading.

I've got metal shelving in my room and use a combination of shoe boxes, cardboard boxes, and even metal security boxes for the more scarce cards.
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
Particularly important with autos, there are some card brands and sets more susceptible to damaging/defacing if not using penny sleeve, chrome in particular can show surface issues if in direct contact with harder plastics.
Thanks for the info... I am so terrified to put an auto in a slider due to it being scratched. I assumed a penny sleeve then into whatever protection was best. Most of what I've received was in hard top loaders...
Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

did not know that semi-rigid holders like card savers can scratch the surface. Wonder why the grading services make us put them in semi-rigids? So they wont grade as well?
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd1234 View Post
did not know that semi-rigid holders like card savers can scratch the surface. Wonder why the grading services make us put them in semi-rigids? So they wont grade as well?
When I send off coins - I don't put them in rigid holders, just flips - not the cardboard with the staples.

I assume the semi-rigid is so they don't get bent?

The refractors cards - can't think of them at the moment - the ones with the peel off surface would be highly susceptible at being damaged put into a top loader only. But again I don't have much experience.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
XL5

Short version:

Organizing

PC stuff sorted by player, or team if there aren't many for a player.

PC base/inserts/parallel by year and set.

Stuff for sale sorted by year, set, subset.

Cataloging

PC stuff in custom database.

PC base on Zistle.

Stuff for sale in custom database.

Storage

PC in toploaders stored in 1600 count shoeboxes.

PC base/inserts/etc in binder pages in binder boxes and 3200 monster boxes.

Stuff for sale in toploaders in 1600 count shoeboxes.

I sleeve everything immediately, except low end base. I feel naked if I don't have at least spare 4 packs of penny sleeves lying around.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Short version:

PC base on Zistle.

Storage

I sleeve everything immediately, except low end base. I feel naked if I don't have at least spare 4 packs of penny sleeves lying around.
Right on - I would have never found Zistle.... looks promising.

I agree about sleeving - I've learned this by leaving some stuff on a table unsleeved for the magic cards and my parottlett deciding they were toys. Penny sleeve wouldn't have stopped it but at least maybe he would have chewed on the sleeve instead..

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd1234 View Post
-The semi-rigid holders do the absolute-best job of preventing card movement during shipment. And for the most part,t hey do a fine job of protecting the card. I never use them personally anymore, but i would think if you could, i would recommend seeing if you can penny sleeve the card then place int he semi-rigid.

I am sure others who use them have better suggestions/input.

lobo_hacker, who is just immature enough to almost chuckle each time he types 'semi-rigid'
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Zistle is awesome for having a mobile version of your collection.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

It definitely seems like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyni View Post
Zistle is awesome for having a mobile version of your collection.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

This is a great thread, especially for someone like myself with no organization skills.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

I use these for my base sets and inserts that I don't have in top loaders:

I have about 3 dozen stacked on shelves in my sitting room closet. A little more expensive, but I like them better than shoe or monster boxes as you can see them on display
Srodeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Those are nice where do you find them?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Something has come up now that I am in possession of more graded cards - how does everyone store them to make them easily accessible so that you can flip through them?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namttip View Post
Something has come up now that I am in possession of more graded cards - how does everyone store them to make them easily accessible so that you can flip through them?
I use these boxes for graded cards:

Graded Sports Card Storage Box Heavy Duty Holds 195 Cards | eBay
iam12fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawger13 View Post
Those are nice where do you find them?
they used to sell them in retail stores like Toys R Us, but I haven't seen them there in years.

The company that makes them is Plano Molding out of Texas. They don't list it on their website, but I've called them and they still make them and can ship to you directly by the case.....which is I believe 6 boxes for about $25. Just ask for them by the stock... #5325

they are pretty sturdy and stackable.

Plano Molding | Storage and Protective Cases | Home
Srodeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

I made these ... use cedar because I don't like cardboard either.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
I made these ... use cedar because I don't like cardboard either.

I have access to a CNC router - so I could make these out of MDF fairly easily... do you have any specs, sketches, or if I am really lucky CAD files on these
Old 02-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

Those boxes are sweet for a PC.
I would think that if you wanted you could find quite a market for those.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namttip View Post
I have access to a CNC router - so I could make these out of MDF fairly easily... do you have any specs, sketches, or if I am really lucky CAD files on these
If going through all that trouble why use mdf? Furniture grade birch plywood would be much better if not real wood.
Aleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister View Post
If going through all that trouble why use mdf? Furniture grade birch plywood would be much better if not real wood.
I have MDF laying around... I don't have any uber expensive chinese made furniture grade birch that is warped in the middle laying round.

Real wood would be too much waste to lay out in the CNC and take too long to plane down to a consistent thickness.