Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 250 Bucks +/- to Spend

Hey guys,

I've got around $250 to spend. Not sure whether to buy a single or boxes. So I've got a couple of questions.

First, if I'm buying single(s), what should I get? Doesn't have to be PC. If there are any prospects worth buying, I'd definitely be interested.

Second, if I'm buying boxes, what should I get? Not neccesarily looking to get a return on investment, but more looking for a good looking set that holds some value (in case of resale). Please go by Blowout prices, as that's probably where I'll end up buying from.

I always like the look of Bowman Draft, but haven't bought any of this years set. Is it worth buying a box, or should I get singles?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

My cards
Thommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

2013 Topps Series 1
Mt death2redemption...you started this by your lies!!! A real stand up member!!! You have said lie after lie after lie about me...its funny whenever I used to say anything you would not use my quote but add or subtract to it....I guess you have to keep your fake world going....oh just if your members knew... your worse then a liar....your a created of lies.... - Jason Mars
death2redemptions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy! View Post
My cards
Any Konerko?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Any Konerko?
I have a 2011 topps base card, $40!
Thommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy! View Post
I have a 2011 topps base card, $40!
I have one also but I'll sell it to you for $39.25 FREE shipping!
Mt death2redemption...you started this by your lies!!! A real stand up member!!! You have said lie after lie after lie about me...its funny whenever I used to say anything you would not use my quote but add or subtract to it....I guess you have to keep your fake world going....oh just if your members knew... your worse then a liar....your a created of lies.... - Jason Mars
death2redemptions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
2013 Topps Series 1
After the initial rush dies down, is there much value in the set? Post-week one, does the value not drop drastically?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

always singles bc ur guaranteeing yourself the quality card you hope you'd find in a box.

Don't be so hard on me, I'm already a Knick fan!
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would go with singles. The hottest prospects are probably the newest draft autos but when you consider the fact that you can buy some higher ranked more established prospects at the same price, it may be worth looking into older sets or guys who don't have quite as much hype around them. Bundy blue autos sell for just a tick more than Addison Russell. Or look at a guy like Max Fried who is a Top 3 LHP prospect in the game whose blue autos are pretty steady under 50 bucks. Just my .02
aaron41984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you want to bust wax...I have had outstanding luck with Donruss EEE and almost all the busts I've seen have been nice too. I think it's a great value for the money.
RipitRipken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipitRipken View Post
If you want to bust wax...I have had outstanding luck with Donruss EEE and almost all the busts I've seen have been nice too. I think it's a great value for the money.
depends what u want to do with your cards. i pulled a green auto and gold auto but i have never heard of the players and it will take waiting to see if they pan out. plus they are not mlb licensed cards. so basically, its a good buy if you are a collector or are patient but richie shaffer on card sells for about 6 bucks now, lol. so not the time to flip if u pull a solid auto if thats your deal. i got my box for about 85, i think box price matters too.

Don't be so hard on me, I'm already a Knick fan!
dasiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Do you collect any sort of base/inserts or cheaper value cards? If so is put some (maybe $150) into COMC. I did that and I had a blast. Over a month I added nearly 250 cards to my cart, and made offers and ended up with 80 neat cards for my PC for $100 total. Pretty neat
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm sorry to see you're in Canada Postage wise for us trying to send you anything.
motu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys. It sounds as though singles are the way to go, although I'll check my LCS tomorrow to see if he has any EEE or Bowman Draft. I know he had draft at $65.

When it comes to prospects, who would be the one to buy? I'd look at both buying singles in bulk or buying one high end card. Who would be the prospect to buy?