Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Former MLB Commish suggests proposal

Fay Vincent is in favor of lifetime ban from baseball if caught using PEDs. I'm not sure if I agree but either way this will be a good discussion.

MLB steroids: Former commissioner Fay Vincent favors lifetime ban - MLB - Sporting News

Let's go Orioles
DarkTiger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think that's logical. I think at least half the users would stop. Another idea is voiding of contracts and a fine that's 50% your salary you've earned so far.
Metsfan1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think the current game bans are okay, but I think teams should have the option to void any remaining time on the players contract if they get caught.

I'm sure that would be a massive fight with the union, but it would get the players' attention.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I want to agree and think that when guys start getting banned others would wise up. More than likely it won't happen but the current guidelines aren't working

Let's go Orioles
DarkTiger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree as well. They need a policy similar to the NFL. Don't put it in your body unless you check with team/league physicians. No more "I didn't know what was in it..I just took it" crap. And make it clear like the don't bet on baseball or associate with illegal gamblers. You know the rule and the results.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think they should impose stiff fines for players caught cheating and longer bans. 1st time failing a test you are banned 162 games and your fine would be at least 50% of what you would have made. Those fees could be used to fund testing each month of every player.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lifetime ban.....Does anybody have any research on peds and their ability to make you hit homeruns and what not? Just wonder about the homerun race of the 90s......it does seem a little apparent that something may have been in the Kool-Aid...

A part of me wants to see players perform sub-par and I don't care how they do it yet if there is long term damaging effects to the athlete....we should definitely enforce penalties...not bans. Let the players learn right from wrong.
abcd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

can't say i would be opposed to this at all.

frankly, MLB really needs to enforce these rules to the enth degree.

i wouldn't be opposed to stiffening fines either, but i'd bet my last $ the MLBPA would.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodie27 View Post
I think they should impose stiff fines for players caught cheating and longer bans. 1st time failing a test you are banned 162 games and your fine would be at least 50% of what you would have made. Those fees could be used to fund testing each month of every player.

So if they failed a test they would be out for the year but still get half their paycheck?
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm at first=100 games or a season.
Second=life.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd1234 View Post
Let the players learn right from wrong.
Doesn't this happen by age 7? As long as the know the consequences then there should be no problem. I speed...I know I may get a ticket. I can't be mad if I get caught.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

hahaha.... you would think. I tend to believe that people should experiment with good and what is perceived as bad.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

can peds add 30 homeruns to a normal person's year?

What kind of slanted enhancement do peds really provide?

Food itself should be considered a ped.

Some food makes you perform better than others, its just not as potent as what we find in the category of peds.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

While I agree that a harsher punishment is in order, I don't think a lifetime ban is the answer. Mainly because it'll be hard to draw a line as to who gets a "pass" (for lack of a better word) for using PEDs, and by this I mean both the current players who use their craftyness to become evil geniuses (whoever they are) and the players of the late 80's/90's. It's going to be hard to justify a lifetime ban given to a player like say Yasmani Grandal when Barry Bonds & co. get to slide just because using PEDs "was the norm" back when they were playing.

Personally I think players who get caught have to face a 75 game suspension without pay and are only allowed to sign 1-year contracts that'll pay them (at most) the minor league minimum for the rest of their career. Most of the time players juice to cash in when they reach free-agency, you warn them that they'll be stripped of ever earning even what a benchplayer gets and I presume that a lot of people will stop.

Of course even if the MLB did something like step up their drug testing system or implicate harsher punishments, I doubt that people insecure about their body & talent/dumb enough to try juicing will go away completely.
Remember that we are dealing with humans, they passed a law saying that murdering other humans is illegal and yet people still get murdered everyday.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hahahahahahaha to people who think the NFL is clean.

Lifetime bans for first offense? Nope. Stupid. Too many anomalies that one can consume in protein shakes and other stuff.
Zoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Everybody makes mistakes. I see someone getting busted for being prescribed ped's for injuries and getting a ban..

I do think the voided contract will be awesome
stera8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Second=life.
This......
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Banning is not the answer as a lot of players already do it...However I think if a player is caught cheating than his contract with the team can be voided, or the salary is deeply discounted. You can't ban players because yes it's cheating, but the MLB is also for entertainment, and you can't have the players that people love to watch, or love to hate on kicked out of the league, it would diminish ticket sales. Im sure there are superstars in the game that use steroids.

Would anyone be surprised if Mike trout uses them? I wouldn't be
A one year ban would be nice, that would give the player one year to get clean and practice without the use of roids.
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
So if they failed a test they would be out for the year but still get half their paycheck?
See here's what I was thinking. I don't know how contracts work. If let's say player A signs a 1 year contract for $2 million a year, I didn't know if his contract would still award him $2million even if he was out a year for the suspension. If it did award him the money, then he would pay at least $1 million to the league. But if he doesn't get paid for the games he misses, he would still have to pay a million. So he would be screwed out of $3million in that situation.

I assume more clubs will start voiding contracts in the event of positive tests, so I was just leaving it open.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs_rock21 View Post
Would anyone be surprised if Mike trout uses them? I wouldn't be
He gets like 80 kills per game in Call of Duty. I think he's just naturally great at everything, which makes me hate him.

Unless...

But...

Zoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
Personally I think players who get caught have to face a 75 game suspension without pay and are only allowed to sign 1-year contracts that'll pay them (at most) the minor league minimum for the rest of their career. Most of the time players juice to cash in when they reach free-agency, you warn them that they'll be stripped of ever earning even what a benchplayer gets and I presume that a lot of people will stop.
I like this. I don't know about the rest of their career or the league minimum but some kind of limitations on length and amount would be great.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodie27 View Post
I like this. I don't know about the rest of their career or the league minimum but some kind of limitations on length and amount would be great.
Well I just wrote those two because IMO that's how harsh the punishment needs to be. A month and a half away from the field while still earning half of the money owed to them will not provoke anyone desparate enough for a big contract. The MLB needs to make it clear that using PEDs is a serious crime (within the sport) and start making the punishments more severe so that players actually think the punishments matter, just like they made (or started to make) the All-Star Game something that matters.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Well wonder what happens if a Rockies player gets caught smoking pot since its legal in CO...double edge sword when compared to Singleton...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Second=life.
i would agree with this ban system
howethegreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

I think they should just let players use PED's. They've been doing it literally for 40 years or longer, so why not. Besides, the NFL is rampant with PED use and there is zero outrage at all. Why the double standard?

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote