Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Des Moines, IA

Hey everyone,

On a very sudden and rapid move to Des Moines for work, so I'm leaving behind my beloved Twins and Twins Territory for... corn?

Anyways, was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for reputable LCS's down in Des Moines and what kind of activities they offer (trade days, card shows, etc) I would greatly appreciate any gouge! Going to miss my two here in the Twin Cities!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I live about an hour from Des Moines and have been trying out different shops when I have time. I have only been able to hit up a few but I will try to help you out as best I can.

Who's on First (520 SW 3rd St # 1C Ankeny, IA 50023) - The owner is a real nice guy and willing to b.s. with me (a requirement in my book). The shop very well organized. His wax prices are a little high in my opinion but I might pick up a pack or two when I stop in. He has a lot of singles of star players but not too much high end. He also sells stuff on ebay

Chuck's Sports Cards Plus (3834 Douglas Ave. Des Moines, IA 50310) - I stopped in here once around Thanksgiving. The shop is small and to me it seemed like a mess. There were singles everywhere, which drove me insane because I didn't know where to look for what I was looking for. I tried talking to the guy working, but he just kind of blew me off. I don't know if he is the owner or not. I did find a few reviews online of people who liked it, so maybe I will try it again sometime.

The Rookie (7204 University Ave. Windsor Heights, IA 50324) - Next time I head up to Des Moines, I want to stop here. I have not yet but I am usually in this area of town at some point. It is right by a Sam's Club and Walmart, in a strip mall.

Ryanscardz (8451 Hickman Road, Urbandale, Iowa 50322) - I found an article about this but have not made it here yet. There is an article about him opening a shop but don't know anything else about it. He also has a facebook page.

L & K Sportscards (1537 E Euclid Ave Des Moines, IA 50313) - Just found this place on Google, haven't been there.

Jay's CD & Hobby (3315 SE 14th St. Des Moines, IA 50320) - They have a website that says they have cards, but I have never been there so I don't know. I think it is more of a comic book store.

I hope this helped a little. I have only been to two of these. I plan on going to all of them eventually. Just moved to there area a few years ago and just got back into the hobby about year and a half or so ago. If you find one you really like, let me know too.
bsheston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

First of all, welcome to Des Moines. I was born and raised in the Des Moines area and just moved back a little over a year ago after living in KC for 8 years. I have visited both Chuck's and The Rookie. I would agree with the previous post that Chuck's is quite small and not organized at all. The Rookie is small as well but much more organized and they have some really cool promos. You can check out their website here:

Home Page

I have not seen/heard of these other places yet but I also just got back into collecting about 6 months ago or so. So thanks to Bsheston, I will have to check them out!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I go to school at ISU GO CLONES!! There is a card shop in Ames called Main Street Sportscards that has a good selection of stuff
howethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

First of all, welcome to Iowa! You're not really leaving Twins Territory - Iowa is basically disputed between the Cubs, Cardinals and Twins (with some White Sox thrown in) - it's just a longer drive to get to Target Field. (4 hours, in case you're wondering).

As for card shops, I've only dealt with a few: The Rookie and Who's On First - both were perfectly good card shops. Prices vary, sometimes they're a little high, most of the time they seem on par. Both owners were friendly and selection was solid. There are a few card shows around the area too, but the sellers there seem to operate on Beckett BV and the prices are typically unrealistic.

BTW, if you want to watch the Twins on Fox Sports North, you have to get Direct TV (with the sports pack). Mediacom cable doesn't carry FSN (only Fox Sports Midwest - and that's just Cardinals games...yuck).