Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
You might want to be careful showing certain sportkings cards, and potentially bringing this to the attention of someone who might care. SK could EASILY be sued (and successfully) by MLB for stuff like that. Upper Deck's 2010 baseball product had the same kind of language listed at the bottom, had no mention of team names, and had all logos at least partially obscured, and MLB was successful in their lawsuit against them. That card shows full team nicknames and I've seen at least one card you've shown of Jeter where the Yankee logo is completely visible on the card. Artist renderings don't get around copyright infringement. I love the sportkings line for their base cards, and I'd hate to see anything happen that would further restrict their use of baseball players.
Thank you for your concern, but I don't need to be careful. I did not create the brand. I won't be in trouble for any wrong doings, and I highly doubt MLB, or any other sports entity for that matter, would be successful in a lawsuit against them. Of course, this is a matter of opinion, but you say it would be "easy", and I say it would be a lot more difficult than that.

That card, among many, many others, was printed and released in 2007. Is anyone naive enough to think MLB knows nothing regarding SK? Does anyone think they've been building a case for over 5 years?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

In addition...

I couldn't stop the posting of these cards if I tried. There are all kinds of cards posted on COMC right now that clearly show city, team and MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL names on the back. Here are some examples that you'll have to click to see the backs. (I couldn't make the backs appear here).

From COMC, (NOT MY CARDS), and all from over 5 years ago:

Courtesy of CheckOutMyCards.com

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #28 (permalink)

This will be my last post on the subject, because I truly am concerned about shining too bright of a spotlight on the issue.

But using team nicknames in full without the permission of MLB properties is blatant trademark infringement. Its the reason that Panini won't do it, despite having an MLBPA license. They've seen the precedent set in the Upper Deck case.

Now whose to say that SK didn't get permission from MLB to do what they are doing. The owner seems from all accounts to be a super nice guy that is looking out for the best interests of the hobby. So I'm guessing he probably just asked nicely and was given permission for the good of the hobby. But on the slight chance that isn't the case... well, I won't even go there. To be honest, I don't care (just as I didn't care about Upper Deck's 2010 release). I just hope MLB continues to either not care or give their permission for free.

Trust me, there is nothing more I'd like to see then for some day for one of my personal sports kings, Jim Thome, to have a sports kings base card with reference to the Cleveland Indians on the back (or heck, the front). But as Dr. Price doesn't seem interested in obtaining licensing, my only hope is that MLB continues to allow sports kings to use team names for free... or don't discover whats going on... whichever is happening. I look forward to adding that card to my collection someday. Their base cards are so nice looking!

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #29 (permalink)

Beckett News Pete Rose’s exclusion in MLB products is nothing new — and it’s MLB’s call that he’s out

Here ya go

Let's go Orioles
DarkTiger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Then how did they make the card of his son - who has the same name? I understand that he is a "Jr.", but if you tell me that I can't say "bottle" it stands to reason that I can't say "bottle opener".
ScooterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #31 (permalink)

Oh dear God...of course this thread turns into a "Wheeler make it about/spam your Sportskings cards" thread...

How predictable.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Oh dear God...of course this thread turns into a "Wheeler make it about/spam your Sportskings cards" thread...

How predictable.
I can't help it that Sportkings includes almost every sport touching on almost every subject in the hobby.

That sure is a nice pack-pulled, painted Pete Rose card, isn't it?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #33 (permalink)

This thread has instilled in me a desire to see MLB sue the pants off of Sports Kings
tom505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom505 View Post
This thread has instilled in me a desire to see MLB sue the pants off of Sports Kings
As much as a sorry few would like to see, it's just not gonna happen.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #35 (permalink)

Just an fyi.. Rose is being somewhat featured in a special on the MLB network now.

Hypocrites..
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote