Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Now I know why people dont like Game-Used Jersey cards..

Hi everyone,

I am just getting back into the hobby and was looking at Felix Hernandez cards on eBay and came across this one

2012 Triple Threads Felix Hernandez All Star Laundry Tag Patch Book 1/1 MLB Holo
2012 Triple Threads Felix Hernandez All Star Laundry Tag Patch Book 1 1 MLB Holo | eBay

I was intrigued since it has an MLB Holo so I did some research and looked it up and I was suprised that it showed that this Game-Used Jersey was worn by Robinson Cano.

Hologram number FJ745227 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED JERSEY.
Session Name: 2011 ALL-STAR GAME
Session Date: July 12, 2011
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: BATTING PRACTICE, ALL STAR GAME, ROBINSON CANO

I understand that many people dont like game-used due to the unverifiable nature of them but come on if you are going to use someones jersey that has a holo on it atleast make it the right player. Is it really that hard to make it a Robinson Cano booklet instead of Felix.

I did think about the idea someone putting the holo on it but it just didnt seem to make sense since anybody could look it up.
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

thats retarded, another great move by topps
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

wow.....way to go topps
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
ND3

WoW if this happens you have to wonder how much of the GU stuff out there is really from the player on the card.

Well Topps is covered with their very very vague verbiage on the back of their GU cards.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
WoW if this happens you have to wonder how much of the GU stuff out there is really from the player on the card.

Well Topps is covered with their very very vague verbiage on the back of their GU cards.
Bingo. Nothing we can do except accept it and move on.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is the mother of all screw ups by Topps. This could bring the game used card market crashing to a halt.

Orrrrrr...... it will just be business as usual. Yeah, that seems more likely.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is why I don't touch any game used or jersey cards.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

op, you a phillies fan?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

No, haha.

I grew up in California and and became a M's fan because of Ken Griffey Jr and Randy Johnson and havent looked back.

Just live and work here
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

I remember a thread a while back about these, a lot of the jersey were mixed up according to the card and the MLB sticker.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Nice thread, carbon!

To those people that say/think nothing can be done about this, you are wrong. Threads like this shed light on the atrocities that have been happening in this hobby for a while now. There is a reason Topps, et al are so vague on the backs of their cards, and it isn't because they care too much about their customers.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and it's not just Topps. Does anyone really think upper deck would try to get away with knowingly counterfeiting over a half million cards, yet do right by all their memorabilia cards...something that's much harder to get caught doing wrong?

If you guys aren't happy about this, USE YOUR VOICE!!! Let Topps know about it. Let everyone in every forum know about it. Believe me, something will get done if there are enough squeaky wheels.

It's your hobby. Make it how YOU want. Otherwise, keep right on collecting the junk these guys put out. I'll continue heading in the other direction collecting unquestionably real, game-used memorabilia cards from a company that actually cares about their customers.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ive got a great idea, lets give Leaf and Panini a MLB license, which will hold Topps accountable for the cards they produce, and watch what happens...the entire hobby would change...
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Nice thread, carbon!

To those people that say/think nothing can be done about this, you are wrong. Threads like this shed light on the atrocities that have been happening in this hobby for a while now. There is a reason Topps, et al are so vague on the backs of their cards, and it isn't because they care too much about their customers.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and it's not just Topps. Does anyone really think upper deck would try to get away with knowingly counterfeiting over a half million cards, yet do right by all their memorabilia cards...something that's much harder to get caught doing wrong?

If you guys aren't happy about this, USE YOUR VOICE!!! Let Topps know about it. Let everyone in every forum know about it. Believe me, something will get done if there are enough squeaky wheels.

It's your hobby. Make it how YOU want. Otherwise, keep right on collecting the junk these guys put out. I'll continue heading in the other direction collecting unquestionably real, game-used memorabilia cards from a company that actually cares about their customers.
Fantastic post.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

how do we know that someone didn't just simply enter the wrong name in the database for the holo number? or someone accidentally put the wrong holo on the card? why do we automatically assume it was done purposely to defraud the collecting public?

did anyone check the holo for the Robinson card (if it has been pulled). what if the holo says that it's for Felix Hernandez?

with all-star patches being the same, i can easily see why there was a mistake.
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
why do we automatically assume it was done purposely to defraud the collecting public?
Who in this thread is automatically assuming this?

There's a big difference in doing it on purpose, (upper deck and that counterfeiting scandal), and doing it by mistake. However, how many mistakes are acceptable? If it just keeps happening, shouldn't something be done to either keep it from happening, or slow down how often it happens?

Is anyone naive enough to think that the only time this happens are the times that people find out about?

Quote:
If you care enough about your customers, 1/1 card mistakes like this shouldn't happen very often if ever.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
how do we know that someone didn't just simply enter the wrong name in the database for the holo number? or someone accidentally put the wrong holo on the card? why do we automatically assume it was done purposely to defraud the collecting public?

did anyone check the holo for the Robinson card (if it has been pulled). what if the holo says that it's for Felix Hernandez?

There are numerous players from this set that the holograms weren't of the player on the card , there was was thread about it a while back
USAFDODGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

When Topps finds out about this, hopefully they will do more than Panini did with all their incorrectly marked "game-used" Ernie Davis memorabilia cards. Otherwise, Topps' "guarantee" means as much as Panini's.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

I just don't understand the point in it; there's not really anything gained by purposefully replacing Hernandez with Cano. It'd be different if they used a Carlos Peguero jersey; I'm guessing someone screwed up here.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
I just don't understand the point in it; there's not really anything gained by purposefully replacing Hernandez with Cano. It'd be different if they used a Carlos Peguero jersey; I'm guessing someone screwed up here.
I believe the point is...screw ups like this shouldn't happen, at least not at the rate it appears to be happening.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I believe the point is...screw ups like this shouldn't happen, at least not at the rate it appears to be happening.
Oh, I completely understand; that's why I don't buy "game-used" cards anymore. I'm of the belief that all the Topps Hall of Fame relics (all the Mantles, Ruths, etc.) that are supposedly bats or something from them having nothing to do with the actual players.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWilliamsFan View Post
thats retarded, another great move by topps
Don't use that word.
I choose who I like and don't like.
CardsCardsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnysBench View Post
Ive got a great idea, lets give Leaf and Panini a MLB license, which will hold Topps accountable for the cards they produce, and watch what happens...the entire hobby would change...
Really? We are thinking that the bastions of honesty, customer service and integrity, Leaf and Panini are the answer? I agree that competition would motivate Topps but I don't think those companies are the answer. I think they are worse than Topps and would be the equivalent of three snakes in your bed vs one.

Remember 1989 UD before they too lost their way with backdooring, fraud and such? That is what we need. A new company with good ideas, intentions and service.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Sell this card to davepeters239 and let him duke it out with Topps. This is truly an "error " card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Hi everyone,

I am just getting back into the hobby and was looking at Felix Hernandez cards on eBay and came across this one

2012 Triple Threads Felix Hernandez All Star Laundry Tag Patch Book 1/1 MLB Holo
2012 Triple Threads Felix Hernandez All Star Laundry Tag Patch Book 1 1 MLB Holo | eBay

I was intrigued since it has an MLB Holo so I did some research and looked it up and I was suprised that it showed that this Game-Used Jersey was worn by Robinson Cano.

Hologram number FJ745227 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED JERSEY.
Session Name: 2011 ALL-STAR GAME
Session Date: July 12, 2011
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: BATTING PRACTICE, ALL STAR GAME, ROBINSON CANO

I understand that many people dont like game-used due to the unverifiable nature of them but come on if you are going to use someones jersey that has a holo on it atleast make it the right player. Is it really that hard to make it a Robinson Cano booklet instead of Felix.

I did think about the idea someone putting the holo on it but it just didnt seem to make sense since anybody could look it up.
Upper Deck seemingly lost their way out of the gate if rumors of a Monster Box of the 1989 Upper Deck Dale Murphy Error cards be walked around in Chicago were true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Remember 1989 UD before they too lost their way with backdooring, fraud and such? That is what we need. A new company with good ideas, intentions and service.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Upper Deck seemingly lost their way out of the gate if rumors of a Monster Box of the 1989 Upper Deck Dale Murphy Error cards be walked around in Chicago were true.

First I've heard of this but unfortunately doesn't surprise me.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Really? We are thinking that the bastions of honesty, customer service and integrity, Leaf and Panini are the answer? I agree that competition would motivate Topps but I don't think those companies are the answer. I think they are worse than Topps and would be the equivalent of three snakes in your bed vs one.

It's a shame that ITG isn't interested in becoming licensed or moving into other sports.