Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller45452003 View Post
**Fixed
Forget about Heyward & Castro?
joey81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #27 (permalink)

I've looked at buying some several times just because the price is so cheap and there are some solid players. I wonder how many of the big time Super's are left?
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

DO they bow/warped worst then 2010 TOPPS chrome?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
DO they bow/warped worst then 2010 TOPPS chrome?
same, almost as if they came from the same damn printing company
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #30 (permalink)

I busted 2 cases when it was $540 and was not overly impressed. If you are just looking to break wax I guess it is pretty cheap, but I will not be opening anymore ever.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublexthebeast View Post
I've looked at buying some several times just because the price is so cheap and there are some solid players. I wonder how many of the big time Super's are left?
I have yet to see either Sano's/Altuve's/Starling's/Lindor's/G. Sanchez's/Vizcaino (auto)/Seager's/Kepler's/W. Myers (non auto). But then again, I dont pay to close attention on the bay for them.

Last edited by miller45452003; 02-19-2013 at 11:20 AM.
miller45452003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrett View Post
I busted 2 cases when it was $540 and was not overly impressed. If you are just looking to break wax I guess it is pretty cheap, but I will not be opening anymore ever.

Were did you get it for $540?
halusen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halusen8 View Post
Were did you get it for $540?
I just looked to be sure, they were $560 in November from Blowout. Sorry I had misleading info, $1120 for 2 cases on November 3
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Anyone know the avg ratio of Base to Color cards in this product? Thanks.
You get like 1 color non-auto per box, maybe.

Last case I broke (in August 2012) had this:

Color:
Jerry Sands Orange /25
Scott Rolen Gold /50
Alex Liddi blue /150
Jose Altuve blue /150
Henry Owens blue /150
Jeff Francoeur blue /150
Josh Donaldson blue /150

Other:
Jesus Montero Topps 100 gold refractor /50

Auto "color": 2 Ref and 1 blue auto.

I think BO has this priced just about right, it's not a steal but it's cheap enough to get people to buy. These were way overproduced. There are some decent prospects but no color and no auto boxes aren't that uncommon.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
**Fixed
You mean Kipnis' base chrome, which can currently be had for a whopping .34 cents on COMC? If you want to pay $5 per piece, I have about a dozen to sell you then
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey81 View Post
Forget about Heyward & Castro?
You'll get a whole $1 after fees on COMC per chrome and probably get ~2 of each per case.

There are some decent names I omitted (guys who might sell at .50 per chrome), but it is certainly going to be a battle to make money on 2010 chrome at $580 per case. I might buy this stuff again if it gets down to the $430-$450 range (which is where it was close to BEFORE the wrapper redemption ended)

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab85 View Post
You mean Kipnis' base chrome, which can currently be had for a whopping .34 cents on COMC? If you want to pay $5 per piece, I have about a dozen to sell you then

You'll get a whole $1 after fees on COMC per chrome and probably get ~2 of each per case.

There are some decent names I omitted (guys who might sell at .50 per chrome), but it is certainly going to be a battle to make money on 2010 chrome at $580 per case. I might buy this stuff again if it gets down to the $430-$450 range (which is where it was close to BEFORE the wrapper redemption ended)
I don't know a single guy in 2010 that is selling for $5 a crack for a base chrome. Starling was at draft time when he was selected. I was simply stating a hot prospect that you had not mentioned.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know a single guy in 2010 that is selling for $5 a crack for a base chrome. Starling was at draft time when he was selected. I was simply stating a hot prospect that you had not mentioned.
I was simply giving an estimate that even at $5 per chrome of the top priced guys, making money from base chromes to justify a $580 case, as stated earlier, is not going to happen. Strasburg or a crazy hot case will be needed to get the job done.

And while Kipnis may be a great young player, I wouldn't expect him to carry my case break unless I hit orange or better.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I was simply giving an estimate that even at $5 per chrome of the top priced guys, making money from base chromes to justify a $580 case, as stated earlier, is not going to happen. Strasburg or a crazy hot case will be needed to get the job done.

And while Kipnis may be a great young player, I wouldn't expect him to carry my case break unless I hit orange or better.
I would say it is NOT a great buy. Fun, yeah for $50 a box, it's a fun gamble - as others have mentioned, I have busted at all different prices - the base cards are a steady sale - only way to "make money" is to buy 10 cases and get lucky or buy 1 box and get lucky.

Because of the production #'s, those base cards are easier to find, they do sell well at times, but dropping 6 bills with a 1 in 20 case shot at a $600 card = not that great.....
billmendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:

If you want to chase non-auto color, just wait until the redemptions expire in September. Price should drop big time.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #40 (permalink)

Still, there has to be some kind of value in it for BO to sit on it for three years instead of dumping it, Right?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
If you want to chase non-auto color, just wait until the redemptions expire in September. Price should drop big time.
who were redemptions that expire of note other than STRAS? think there was very little non on card autos.
pricing on this case will go North of $580 until they do expire OCT 1 (lot's of ROOKIE talent arriving soon from this set)
lot's of cases will be broken between then and now and even if it was over produced there isn't a ton of it floating around anymore. lot's of the bigger wholesalers are buying 2010 chrome cases at pretty strong prices.

Last edited by BOOMER7; 02-19-2013 at 09:37 PM.
BOOMER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Still, there has to be some kind of value in it for BO to sit on it for three years instead of dumping it, Right?
yep... they know
chris and fish ain't no dummies!
BOOMER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #43 (permalink)

So really the question becomes a value proposition. Banking on the 2010 crop to make the teams and have a good year this year, I would say is a better bet at the current price. Buying today's product high and waiting a few years for them to hit the majors is also an inherit gamble.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #44 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMER7 View Post
who were redemptions that expire of note other than STRAS? think there was very little non on card autos.
pricing on this case will go North of $580 until they do expire OCT 1 (lot's of ROOKIE talent arriving soon from this set)
lot's of cases will be broken between then and now and even if it was over produced there isn't a ton of it floating around anymore. lot's of the bigger wholesalers are buying 2010 chrome cases at pretty strong prices.
Pretty much Stras. But that's who everyone is chasing. I'll believe it's dried up when I see it.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Pretty much Stras. But that's who everyone is chasing. I'll believe it's dried up when I see it.
+1

2010 BC is similar to 06 Draft in that we're just chasing a few names (Longo, Kershaw in 06). Once Stras redemption expires, that product is a $400 product at best.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatjk View Post
I have busted one box of this in my life and hit a sanchez blue auto and an owens usa orange auto. I dont think that box waa very representative
Nice box!!

I opened around 5 hobby boxes and 2-3 blasters of this in early 2011 and actually had some fairly good luck with this product. Heres basically everything significant that I pulled...

Base: 4 Middlebrooks, 4 Myers, 3 Salvador Perez, and a pair of most of the other key prospects like Sano, Sanchez, Kepler etc...

Refractors: Gold USA non autos of Christian Lopes and Sean Brady, and Corban Joseph gold ref non-auto but thats it just a couple other prospect base refractors and a bunch of random purples from the retail.

Autos: Sanchez base, Gibson base, Familia base, Wilin Rosario base, Tuttle ref, best box had a Davidson gold + Lindor base USA....

Sooo basically like most people said this product is very top heavy and when it rains it pours....best bet at this point is almost buying retail for the base + purple refractors although you won't pull much else! I can see why people would consider taking a chance on the hobby though at that case price...
StraWMyerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #47 (permalink)

Just got done busting my case I bought from BO, was so excited to bust my first case in a while.

The excitement quickly turned to boredom.

The best card I pulled was a Shelby Miller Base auto - yup, out of the whole case. I know the money is in the base cards, but the collation is so strange, I think there were a few base rookies I got 15 of and others only 2-3

Here is a general breakdown of what I got

4 blue refractors - all veterans
1 Gold Ref - Jose Lopez
1 Gold ref Top 100 - don't even remember who
7 non auto rookie refractors
some of the amazing auto's - Scooter, Arodys Vizcaino, everett williams, elvin soto, tyler chatwood, adeinis hechavarria, ehire adrianza (refractor, wow) robinson chirinos, kyle gibson

Not a single rookie orange/blue/gold

Not a single auto with color

Only 1 auto refractor in the whole case

The added bonus is that every Will Middlebrooks has a white powder substance all over it, seemed like 2-3 packs in each box had baby powder in it and one box had 7 packs with 3 cards, one box had 2 packs with big pieces of plastic and foil that seemed welded together - completely random objects IN the packs.

When Strasburg expires, this stuff will drop like a rock - no color = no fun
billmendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

does 2010 Bowman draft have warping issues and all the same issues?

I thought about picking up a case around 900.00
srslychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #49 (permalink)

so is 2010 going to be the new 2008? I know 2008 was brutal and the auto cl is horrible. I think I only got a couple of blasters of 2010 chrome after going all in on 2010 bowman and topps chrome and some draft. I just didn't find it fun to break even the blaster
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srslychris View Post
does 2010 Bowman draft have warping issues and all the same issues?

I thought about picking up a case around 900.00
No, 2010 Draft doesn't have those issues and is a great product. Machado and others are currently carrying that one. Harper Aflacs as well. (rare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
so is 2010 going to be the new 2008? I know 2008 was brutal and the auto cl is horrible. I think I only got a couple of blasters of 2010 chrome after going all in on 2010 bowman and topps chrome and some draft. I just didn't find it fun to break even the blaster
I don't know if the auto checklist will ever be as bad a 2008 was. But I can tell you that 2008 is currently overpriced. I've busted a few cases of 2008 for various promos, and I think the best auto in 3 cases has been an Austin Jackson refractor. 2010, with printing issues, may approach the level of 2008 once Strasburg expires.