Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Support your LCS??

So, I have just got back into the hobby after taking a break and not really buying much for about 5 years. I go to a couple of LCS just to look and see what they have available. Why is it that they charge so much for boxes that you can get on eBay or online for cheaper? I understand that they have a business to run but $200 for a box of 2013 Topps series 1 jumbos? That really surprised me and it also surprised me to hear them justify the price by saying they don't search their boxes coming from a case. They did have great prices on supplies, but that was about it. Just wondering how everyone else is doing with their LCS.
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, I too have the same predicament with my LCS. He's an awesome guy that I can consider a friend... but I can't let friendship deplete my bank account. So, I normally just buy single packs, or boxes that he actually has competitive prices on (+$25 is usually my limit)-from the prices I can get online. But NOT off of any random EBAY seller.. I wouldn't touch a "Factory Sealed" hobby box from anyone on Ebay. But, thats just me.
Back to the LCS, I do want to keep my money local is why I try and spend some $ there. But if I'm making a large purchase of boxes, I'm going to blowout.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

They need to make money. Say they buy a box for 70 dollars. They aren't going to sell it for 80 for only a 10 dollar profit. They have to make a living. People on eBay selling boxes usually are looking for just any profit and are doing it on their free time.

I usually stick to buying singles at my LCS (a little more expensive than eBay, but easier and there's no worry), sometimes spare packs. I understand why boxes are so expensive, but I'll stick to Blowout and eBay.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

The Fantastic Store, AJs in Vienna, Collectors Corner.

Last edited by ajscards101; 04-28-2013 at 11:38 PM.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

I go into my LCS every couple of months and will just look for wax that is reasonably priced. I do find some usually.
lisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Some LCS are close enough in price to justify the 10-20% extra you might be spending on the box.

But there is being helpful, and downright highway robbery. Someone selling jumbos for 200 isn't looking to make "enough to stay in business" that's gouging. I could buy Jumbos on BO for 100, mark them up 30%, and still sell them for 130. 200 is outraegous.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

I work for a private owned company which is a wholesale distributing business. This company strives by gross profit - if I buy product from a manufacturer, then I am paying at a net price. When I have the products on hand or in stock, then I need to sell with a gross profit percentage to make money for the company. The company needs that kind of money to pay for health benefits, insurance costs and more and more importantly, salaries...

I doubt any of LCS is a public owned company - if so, then we wouldn't be arguing over pricing!
excel_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

An LCS cannot make enough on wax alone to survive. Back in the dark ages (1991-1994) when I had a store, I would buy a box for $30 and sell for $35 if I was lucky. But there wasn't the crazy amount of product and I didn't specialize in wax.

If I owned a store, I would work close margins on wax for good customers that also bought supplies, singles, etc and then have regular prices for the general public.

It's the only way to survive and fight the internet.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

First, $200 for a box of Series 1 Jumbos is absurd... get to know the local shop owners and you will hopefully find that a good relationship will benefit you significantly, especially if you are a regular/semi-regular customer. I have been supporting my LCS for about 8 years since I got back into the hobby and am buying at prices that are equal to or +10/+20 blowout. I'm happy with that difference because I can always get it on release day too rather than waiting for the shipping time.

One local shop sells Series 1 Jumbos for $135 and another $155... I bought mine on release day for $97/box from my guy. I also always provide him with a forecast of what I will be buying so he can plan ahead.

Last edited by pokerbroker; 02-21-2013 at 01:02 PM.
pokerbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

99% of the time, we match Blowout on new releases. The only time we cannot is on restocks. We sold out of 2013 Jumbos at $100 and out of regular hobby boxes at $60. Now that we are sold out, we normally do not restock because of all the new products that come every single week.
Neuhart Cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Went to my LCS and was surprised to see how great the prices were. I know it's football, but I got Contenders for $5 more than what blowout sells it for and Magic for $11 more so I was very happy. My shop makes most of it's money on special promotions they run like the weekly auction and fantasy leagues they run for the community.
hitman1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerbroker View Post
First, $200 for a box of Series 1 Jumbos is absurd... get to know the local shop owners and you will hopefully find that a good relationship will benefit you significantly, especially if you are a regular/semi-regular customer. I have been supporting my LCS for about 8 years since I got back into the hobby and am buying at prices that are equal to or +10/+20 blowout. I'm happy with that difference because I can always get it on release day too rather than waiting for the shipping time.

One local shop sells Series 1 Jumbos for $135 and another $155... I bought mine on release day for $97/box from my guy. I also always provide him with a forecast of what I will be buying so he can plan ahead.
Getting a product on release day would be great. I want to support the LCSs in my area because I know it can be tough in our economy. I was actually shocked with the prices of the Jumbo, I had to look twice and put on my glasses!
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuhart Cards View Post
99% of the time, we match Blowout on new releases. The only time we cannot is on restocks. We sold out of 2013 Jumbos at $100 and out of regular hobby boxes at $60. Now that we are sold out, we normally do not restock because of all the new products that come every single week.
Question - what happens if your customer wants to continue buying that same products since you normally do not restock? How can you satisfy your customer's needs?
excel_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
That really surprised me and it also surprised me to hear them justify the price by saying they don't search their boxes coming from a case.
This made me chuckle. Any chance the store in question was Ron's Collector's World? I think I've had the exact same conversation.
mschub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

If my LCS wasn't such a pain in the neck to get to, I'd go there more often. His prices are great for an LCS, he has a TON of singles but NO Mets.. he's also a Met fan and either keeps them or holds them for a few high-end/bulk customers.
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

$200 for Series 1 Jumbos? No. I never understood why LCS's need to gouge so high. People talk about overhead, I know a local LCS who runs it himself, and pays about $750 a month in bills including rent. If you have emplyoees it gets expensive, but if you run it yourself, like a lot of people do, overhead isn't high. Be smart, preorder more of the hot products, etc etc. My LCS runs out of Topps Chrome and Bowman/Bowman Chrome in a week. And that is all he gets in. I never knew why he doesn't preorder multiple cases of it.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarjetasBéisbol View Post
So, I have just got back into the hobby after taking a break and not really buying much for about 5 years. I go to a couple of LCS just to look and see what they have available. Why is it that they charge so much for boxes that you can get on eBay or online for cheaper? I understand that they have a business to run but $200 for a box of 2013 Topps series 1 jumbos? That really surprised me and it also surprised me to hear them justify the price by saying they don't search their boxes coming from a case. They did have great prices on supplies, but that was about it. Just wondering how everyone else is doing with their LCS.
Just out of curiosity, which store was overcharging? I'm in Northern VA too.
My Pogoplug Bucket: http://ppl.ug/M_eeh-V4TY0/
pitterchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have had 0 problems buying factory sealed recent wax boxes from 100% feedback sellers on eBay.
I even hit a 1/1 Cuthbert from Bowman '12 jumbo boxes as well as some nice autos.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeHardcore View Post
If my LCS wasn't such a pain in the neck to get to, I'd go there more often. His prices are great for an LCS, he has a TON of singles but NO Mets.. he's also a Met fan and either keeps them or holds them for a few high-end/bulk customers.
Yeah, I can definitly relate to that. I don't know how LCS owners go about it, but what I'd do is if I get a case of, say, Bowman Draft, I'd open some boxes and those hits I wouls sell as singles (not kepp in my PC), then sell the other boxes as a whole.

And maybe keep a box or two for myself .
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
Yeah, I can definitly relate to that. I don't know how LCS owners go about it, but what I'd do is if I get a case of, say, Bowman Draft, I'd open some boxes and those hits I wouls sell as singles (not kepp in my PC), then sell the other boxes as a whole.

And maybe keep a box or two for myself .
Yeah, his showcases are filled.. I mean FILLED with cards, sometimes 50 in a pile. Lots and lots of super nice cards but you can only see 2% of them and I always ask about nice Wright or Piazza autos and it's always a "No".

I'm talking about East Coast Connection in Jersey if anyone is interested..
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Mike's in Aurora, CO and John's in Colorado Springs. Both great owners and shops.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to edmovieman

Don't forget about the 8-10% tax you will pay! On a $400 National Treasures box = $32-40!
edmovieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Some LCS are close enough in price to justify the 10-20% extra you might be spending on the box.
Agreed -- IMO, opening a box at the LCS, with the owners and other people watching and as excited as you are, is worth spending a little extra. I would much rather pay $375 for a box of National Treasures at my LCS and open it right there in the store, than pay $350 from an online distributor and open it all by myself at home.

That's just my take.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

I use my LCS for supplies, and try to pick up a few '12 EEE packs when I can, but their hobby boxes are way overpriced compared to what I can find online. 25-30% higher, if not more. I'd love to spend more to support them, but at a certain point it just makes more sense $-wise to go online.

Example: 2013 Topps Series 1 Jumbo Box - $100 online, $140 at my LCS.

Last edited by Ephland; 03-04-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Ephland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
understand that they have a business to run but $200 for a box of 2013 Topps series 1 jumbos? That really surprised me and it also surprised me to hear them justify the price by saying they don't search their boxes coming from a case.
$200 for jumbos is crazy. For perspective, my LCSs charges around $120 for 2013 S1 Jumbos. And I know for a fact that they don't search cases.

One charges $110 but with tax that comes out to be around $120.

The other charges $115 but includes tax in all his prices. He also just throws in extras so I got two jumbo boxes, a pack of hobby, a pair of eTopps for my PC, two packs of toploaders and 2 packs of sleeves for $220 out the door.

For A&G one charged $110 ($120 with tax) and the other is around $95.

I figure that any extra cost is worth it for the ability to go in there and shoot the #@#@#@#@ for an hour or hand him a list of wants and dupes that gets passed around to other customers. I do almost all my card trading locally.

Blowout is great for stuff my LCS is out of. I would never buy boxes or cases on eBay.

Last edited by XL5; 03-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote