Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

I love breaking boxes. I love going through sets and organizing my collection. But when it comes to things like "Oh man, I wonder if the card I need is selling on eBay right now," and "I can't get to the PO today, what if I can't get there tomorrow and I get a negative for late shipping," and "I need to send TTM's to everyone, but it's going to cost a fortune to ship," that's when I sit back and say "Why can't it be such a simple hobby, anymore?"

Especially since I'm still in high school and have a chance to go somewhere with both baseball and school, I feel like I'm wasting way too much time and energy. But then when I wake up next morning, I check blowout and see Boomo did something again and read a 10 page tread and really enjoy it.

Last edited by centereacan06; 02-21-2013 at 11:18 PM.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo27 View Post
trust me, the stereotypical fat single man is not the truth.... id say at least third of the members here are teenagers, myself included (im 18).
Yeah, look at Pat Neshek. Guy is playing at the highest level you can in baseball and he's a big collector.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have been thinking of selling and upgrading and keeping my collection to just 50 cards, which I would rotate out over time, but not completely getting rid of everything.

Internet tough guy Will Watson is my #1 fan!!
THE(NEXT)LEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
Wait they do a show in Freehold inside a deli? And Ronlabo hasn't been there
It's not what u think. They make u buy food there just to get tickets to win a sports prize
metsplaya123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsplaya123 View Post
It's not what u think. They make u buy food there just to get tickets to win a sports prize
Or....you can show up and not buy a thing, we'd never know. Once the room is paid for, any food on top is just gravy. Some people like a hot dog and soda, some guys spend $15, and some don't buy anything. What the guy does with giveaways is all on his own.

To the rest, im probably heading towards that "Top 10%" keep of my collection. Strasburg, Harper, Stanton, and a couple other sluggers.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo27 View Post
trust me, the stereotypical fat single man is not the truth.... id say at least third of the members here are teenagers, myself included (im 18).
You carry yourself well. We have had quite a few conversations and I would not have guessed that. I am 38 since we are all throwing that out there. Seems to be about in the average range here.

Datkiem was a mad genius and way ahead of his time.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
You carry yourself well. We have had quite a few conversations and I would not have guessed that. I am 38 since we are all throwing that out there. Seems to be about in the average range here.
yeah, we arent all so dumb at this age haha....
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #33 (permalink)

I have found what works for me is finding a player or two (I have three) to PC. There are so many different sets, players, inserts etc that it can get overwhelming to collect generally. If you narrow your focus it becomes much more manageable. I don't focus on the high end either as I get a thrill getting a base of my PC guys if I didn't have it before. Plus, it makes it fun to root for just a couple of guys with a more vested interest.

It's kind of why I quit playing fantasy baseball. It ruined the game for me. I couldn't root for my team (Angels) or a handful of players. If I had a pitcher on one team facing a hitter on the other it was stressing me out and taking away the fun.

Datkiem was a mad genius and way ahead of his time.

Last edited by jmscoggin; 02-21-2013 at 11:48 PM.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeHardcore View Post
That was sort of my idea with a quality or quantity PC. I had binders full of cards I didn't REALLY care about. So I sold almost everything and just decided to focus on cards I would really love in my PC.

I don't need to have everything.. I'm VERY picky now..
^^^ this ...
FINDER'S FEE FOR ANY DUCHSCHERER CARD REMAINING ON MY LIST! (SEE WEBSITE)
alwayson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #35 (permalink)

I'm 23, and I haven't lost the "fun" factor of it. I actually love all the parts of it: My Longo PC, busting, case breaking, flipping, and just seeing all different kinds of cards. Maybe will eventually run group breaks. It's just a fun hobby to me, no matter what. Maybe in 10 years ill switch, but as of now, can't see an end in the near future.

When it stops becoming fun and more of a hassle, I will most certainly switch to something else.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itradeerrors View Post
I am 44 amd married. I have been collecting off and on for close to 30 years.
I have gotten that feeling several times and when I do I just take a break from collecting.
Now I only collect cards that are 5+ years old as the price is pretty steady on them. I consider new cards as garbage. They sell for crazy money at first and most are worth little to nothing real fast.
This is pretty close to how I feel.

I've been collecting now for 36 years, and although I am quite disappointed and frustrated with the state of the hobby today, I have yet to run out of collecting projects...there's still always something that I want to add to my collection.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #37 (permalink)

Honestly , I started collecting so I can share the love of baseball / card collecting with my kids when I have some. I mainly focus on game used ( Stieners , MLB Auctions ) . I shyed away from the whole card craze . Now I put together what I think is a cool project .

My new project is a Black personalized bat from Louisville Slugger to be signed w/ a silver paint pen which would make the autos stand out. It is inscribed MLB Hall of Fame Hitters . So far I am in line to get it signed by Andre Dawson , Ozzie Smith , Eddie Murray and Jim Rice .
MetsFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #38 (permalink)

I've done the sell it all route a few times. Well close to at least. I collected as a kid. then i quit as life changed. in high school i met a girl. She was a collector so i picked it back up. I collected Frank Thomas for years. I took time off again as real life came about. A full time job etc. Then when I met my wife she convinced me to start again. I argued it, telling her this is a hobby that can consume my life. It does too. I have given up player collecting as much. I do a few smaller players for my kids but not a big one like Thomas. I've turned more to autos.
Last fall I sold most and stepped away for about 2 months only due to finances but when I came back I started a new project. I have gotten very far in a short time. I'm learning I like to build sets here and there but hate the space it apt akes up.

I do think about selling it all again and quitting but not because its not fun for me. It's mainly because of the time I put in.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #39 (permalink)

I had posted a thread about selling my collection for a Rolex in the B/S/T section. Apparently I broke the bumping rules so it got deleted *sniffle sniffle*. Anyway, I have made the decision to sell everything and start with a clean slate.

There is a watch I have wanted for a long time. I spend too much time on card collecting. My wife gets annoyed seeing them around the house. I could never justify the expense of the watch to myself. This way, I can get a clean slate with the collection and clean out the clutter (like boxes of 83 Topps commons from trying to put together my Red Sox 83 PSA 10 set) and also maybe generate enough money for the watch.

I'll probably come back to card collecting since I have never fully left since 1986. But being married with two small kids means I need to break less wax

I also get frustrated by the fake scarcity and game-used stuff. I am selling a 2009 Tribute Jackie Robinson jersey patch auto. The patch is grey and it is incredibly sad that they chopped up a grey Jackie Dodgers jersey to glue to some cardboard. But oh it is black and so there are only 50 of them. Omigod!! Anyway, yeah, I think I need a break from the hobby and will start my collection with more focus.

-PP
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #40 (permalink)

I think about that all the time... I've actually done it. Twice. But then I have all that money, so I buy something I would have considered too high end. And then I'm back in.

Photo Bucket: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j338/SteveSweren/
SaveMeTheGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #41 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

I just did it. Started a new job 4 months ago and decided I wasn't into it anymore. I barely could trade on here and I was tired of trying to sell and buy - and I don't know anyone "in real life" that collects - just the Blowout community.

So I quit. Sold everything I had. Only stuff I kept was Cleveland Browns/Indians/Cavs stuff so my kids could have it someday as I will force them to root for my teams

I did decide however to "come back" but not in a standard way.

I still wanted to collect - but I wanted to collect for me - not what I could sell or trade. I always wanted to do a PSA 10 "PC" where I would have a "perfect" card (or so PSA says) that I'd stash and give to my kids in 20 years.

So I've been buying PSA 10 RC's - which has been a blast to buy stuff like an 89 Omar Vizquel UD PSA 10 - brings back the old days. I own zero tradebait. I have nothing to sell. I only have things I'll stash away for my kids.

So is that still collecting? on some level it is obviously.

But I quit cold turkey 4 months ago - just wasn't into it - and haven't regretted it since.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #42 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

I dunno... it's crossed my mind a few times with my PC. It's amazing the prices some of the cards I want go for. Plus if I could sell it all I could definitely use the money elsewhere in life right now. I also see a lot of fake patches out there for my guy which makes it uneasy for me to buy a lot. I haven't bought/traded for my PC at all this month. Recently lost the day job and might need to sell, trying to hold off but I just don't know right now.

I'll never leave the hobby as a whole, but might need to take a break from collecting, might even need to start over.
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #43 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

I have considered liquidating my collection. For a few years now, after the season ends and I'm bored with the update series, I swear off buying anything new until I get rid of ALL the white boxes of commons/inserts/junk. The process of building base sets inevitably bores me to death, so I still have tons of stuff I don't want.

I've gotten a little wiser- organizing cards immediately after opening a box and trimming the fat on my pc; opting for a small collection of cards I REALLY like opposed to an aggregate of cards that are just "ok."

But yeah, this thing of ours can be a total time warp.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #44 (permalink)

I've been saying it for abot 5 years that I would LOVE to get rid of all of my cards and put that into my newest hobby - autographed baseballs. I have been pretty good about not buying much, but I don't want to just give away all of the stuff that I have.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #45 (permalink)

I hit a rough patch financially back in August, and not only did I have to sell everything, I had to sell it at about 35% of what I could've gotten had I pieced it all out. I didn't have anything mindblowing, but there were definitely some pieces that I would like to have back.

I haven't purchased a card in almost 6 months, yet I check these boards everyday. I'm in a weird spot of whether or not to jump back into the hobby. I was pretty irresponsible with a credit card over the past few years, so that is keeping me from getting back in fully.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #46 (permalink)

I just turned 32 (today!) and mainly stick to PCing my team, the Nationals. It gives me a fun way to follow my team off-season and in-season. I try to shy away from hardcore prospecting or trying to rip and flip other teams/players, it can become too much to think about and maybe make me feel the way the OP feels.

That said I still want to bust wax from time-to-time and sell any good hits so I can buy Nationals cards, but it's not my focus.

Just keep it simple!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #47 (permalink)

Try collecting something new, like golf, poker, or non sports cards.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #48 (permalink)

Ive thought about selling off my whole card collection but since it was my first hobby i cant ever see myself ever getting rid of everything....so, to support my habit or addiction to Prospect Bowman Chrome cards ive decided I'm selling off my wine collection to support my card hobby and modifying my cars. They are going up on Winebid.com(on Sunday) and my wine collection was once over 100 bottles I drank some really great ones but drinking my money away seems to be a hobby that's a money pit that often results in expensive hangovers. I have about 70 left. I kept a few if my favorites for some celebrations and I Just got my appraisal back for the lot of 59 bottles and its just under $10,000. Lets hope they sell bc I'm trying to buy some 2013 Bowman jumbo cases and both of my cars need some TLC....so this auction of my wine collection is long over due. Wish me luck bc they get a 19% cut of final sale price and that's a hell of chunk off of 10g's...if anyone on here has a BMW 135i/335i/535i or a 2000-2002 s4(b5) I will gladly trade you some of my PC Cards for your mods and vice versa, I've got a ton invested in the 335 and I'm going all out for the big single turbo so I'm in big time saving mode and I'm looking for any stage 3 mods for aforementioned s4. It's stage 2 but its my Daily Driver so I've gotta be a little less aggressive than my 335(which I track). I know its a shot in the dark but hey, I like a lot of you collect a lot of different things so maybe I can get some car parts for my cards...

I'm a big golfer too...played a little on the mini tours but I'm having less time to play now that I'm married and workin 60hrs a week. I actually have a set of Mizuno Mp-69 (3-pw) w/ custom KBS tour stiff shafts factory installed my Mizuno with brand new Dual compound Cord grips used less than 10 rounds for sale since I saw some of you mentioned golf. I found a set that better suits me, my good ole 7 year old Titleist 735cm's. I will sell the Mizuno's for 500obo which is steal considering they retail new with this setup for 1,000+. I'm open for card trades or parts for my cars as well...

Here's a link to my YouTube page about my car and my mods. No videos of the s4 yet but I will make some when the weather gets warmer and I get a few more mods... HPF exhaust on stage 3 335i - YouTube

I live in Waynesboro, VA(near Charlottesville) if anyone wants to go for a spirited drive up good ole Skyline Drive in my 335 making about 500hp/525tq. It's always cool meeting fellow collectors that are near by and if you have a nice ride maybe we can put together a meet as we do every so often in our car club.

Last edited by Rookiesonly999; 02-22-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Rookiesonly999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #49 (permalink)

i've never really thought about selling everything. i have seriously considered stopping buying packs and boxes and only picking up singles. i go on very long runs of bad luck, then hit something huge and keep on buying.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
Yeah, look at Pat Neshek. Guy is playing at the highest level you can in baseball and he's a big collector.
Is he a member on here?