Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo27 View Post
trust me, the stereotypical fat single man is not the truth.... id say at least third of the members here are teenagers, myself included (im 18).
If I knew how to construct a poll from my mobile device, I would make one of age of members, a bit fascinating!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #52 (permalink)

I have actually done it twice. I don't regret it for the most part, but there are 2-3 cards that I wish I still had.
hearseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppsfan View Post
Is he a member on here?
I'm 99% positive he is on SCF. I know he'll sign anything you ask him to, whether it be one base card or 10 OMLB. Really a great guy.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppsfan View Post
If I knew how to construct a poll from my mobile device, I would make one of age of members, a bit fascinating!
Been done. Many times.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #55 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Im branching away from collecting and more into "investing", or prospecting.

I have a few select guys I collect that I know or have met personally but other then that I don't really collect. A lot of breaking.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsWS View Post
Im branching away from collecting and more into "investing", or prospecting.

I have a few select guys I collect that I know or have met personally but other then that I don't really collect. A lot of breaking.
I think this is what really makes people want to just give up. The stress that can be involved with it.

"Sweet, I just sold my Dahl auto for 45 bucks! Wait, what if he turns out to be a superstar? I'd lose so much money!"
Old 02-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #57 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
I think this is what really makes people want to just give up. The stress that can be involved with it.

"Sweet, I just sold my Dahl auto for 45 bucks! Wait, what if he turns out to be a superstar? I'd lose so much money!"
It seems you have to learn early how to spend your money. I just go to a lot of MILB games and pick out favorites.

Note most of my first buys were autographs of the players I thought were nice or knew me. Which doesn't mean they will be the next Pujols lol.

Now I buy better guys and make $ doing it so it is fun for me.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
I'm 99% positive he is on SCF. I know he'll sign anything you ask him to, whether it be one base card or 10 OMLB. Really a great guy.
Has his own forums pneshek.proboards.com am a member on there and he does a lot of trading
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #59 (permalink)

I sold a lot of the stuff I had collected and just stick to PC'ing Colts stuff only. I have fun prospecting and I don't have to worry about accumulating too much because I know I'm going to sell though it anyway. Plus prospects help me afford all of those expensive Andrew Luck autos now.

The though of quitting has crossed my mind but I love the Colts too much to get rid of that stuff and prospects have made me a nice chunk of change the past couple of years. I certainly don't make it my life either. I train four days a week at the boxing gym and spend time with my gf and friends in my spare time as well so I don't feel like this hobby is drain on my time.
shayscards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #60 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet

Last edited by SportCardBuffet; 02-24-2013 at 12:18 PM.
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #61 (permalink)

I have sold off my collection 3-4 times, took a beating, then came back for more, haha
billmendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #62 (permalink)

I've been in a collecting rut recently. One thing is that in the past year I focused so much on Denard Span that I ended up selling or trading off other PC items so I could fund my player collection of a lesser known player. I love my Span collection, but I've thought about selling it except for a few quality pieces and focusing on Twins Bowman Chrome autos and HOT autos. One reason I don't sell it off is because if the time and money I put into it, nobody is going to pay what I did for some of the cards. Another reason is that there probably isn't even a buyer for these cards. Being serious 19 year old who is in his sophomore year of college does make collecting tough, especially since I've always enjoyed busting boxes. I honestly don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep going for now
Old 02-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #63 (permalink)

I feel this way every other day. I think it is a natural part of the hobby
ballahollic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #64 (permalink)

I had a moment a while back where I realized how much I had spent over 10 years keeping most of my collection and how much money I had blown on this hobby. It was more of a realization that at my age, I had more important things to worry about than collecting cardboard. now I've cut my collection down to mostly just pc, but i would like to sell whatever excess. the pc is just cards that i'm attached to and would sell though if i were in dire financial straits. like, if i lost my job and couldn't find another or something. as much fun as it is to bust boxes, it's just not financially smart over the long run.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #65 (permalink)

Here is some great advice for you. If you feel like quitting, then quit. If you want to take a break, then take a break. Whatever you do, do not get rid of the cards that you have now. You will regret it later when you decide you want to get back into this hobby after your new adventure has gotten boring. I am proof. Luckily I collected a lot of cards from the late 80's so I didn't lose that much. I collected for about 10 years in the 80's and 90's. I quit and got rid of all my cards except for my Nolan Ryans (thank God) and some other stuff like Monster in my Pocket, GI Joe, and Desert Storm sets (not sure why). After I became a father, I decided I wanted to get back into collecting so that I could have something to pass down to my kids in the future and also so that maybe it could get them interested in it too and maybe they would collect cards instead of felonies or something else. I still regret getting rid of everything earlier. You never know if your kids or grandkids will go up in the attic after you have passed on and find some 100 year old cards in the future that are worth a small fortune. That's something nice to leave your family.

Last edited by tmoore_25; 02-23-2013 at 03:25 AM.
tmoore_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #66 (permalink)

The last few weeks I've been selling a lot. Its not that I'm quitting the hobby as that I saw the opportunity to pay off my car and the remainder of my debts and I am almost there now.

I'd rather be debt free than have a 3 row box of baseball cards.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
I'd rather be debt free than have a 3 row box of baseball cards.
A lot to be said for that. Since signing up to COMC last August I've not bought a single card from elsewhere and I only allow myself to purchase the odd (usually cheap) PC card with profits made from flipping. Keeps it self-funding. With two young kids, I simply can't justify spending 'real' money on cardboard.

As far as packing it all in goes, I echo what others have said in that it happens periodically.
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #68 (permalink)

at times like these people always get moody about things, should i stay or go, should i quit and move on, is my girl the right one for me, is this house too big, is this house to small... my favorite is, is this glass half full or half empty?
sometimes your mind can play tricks on you, people do stupid things all the time, sometimes they do something smart for the first time in their life

i quit this hobby once, many years ago, let me tell you i regret it every time i go to a card show, go to ebay, check this forum, etc... i kick myself for getting rid of some great cards, remember why you started, do cards make you feel special is some way? do they provide you joy or comfort in some way?

the other day i bought i card i owned more than 25 years ago, i actually has 3 of them, today i could not afford three of them without sacrificing a lot

i have a strong feeling something else is going on with you and you are looking for a solution, what will giving up this hobby improve for you? if you want, box everything up, and store it away in a safe place, then next year, or 2 years, or even 4, re-evaluate the situation

you can put them all away for 10 year, or 20 years, or even 30 years

BUT I PROMISE YOU, after that time when you open up those boxes, you will be GLAD you did!

for me right now, it is a buyers market, any card you ever wanted is cheaper now than a few years ago, it is a great time to buy right now, not so good to sell, i am not doing many group breaks now, i am not buying boxes much at all now, i am buying THE CARDS I WANT AT A VERY GOOD PRICE, but that is just me, in the last year, i believe i finished over a dozen sets, and start 7 new ones, more than i have ever done at the same time before

but again, that is just me

what do you want to do? that is what is important

http://www.youtube.com/JOEMLM
JOEMLM is offline   Reply With Quote