Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone ever feel like selling everything and moving on?

Sometimes I really think this becomes more than a hobby, and I often consider just selling everything I own and puttin it all in my past.

Anyone else ever feel this way?

This hobby sprung back to life a couple years ago when Strasburg burst on the scene, and I always feel like it could disappear tomorrow.

I have a few high end cards that I can sell and make a profit on, and who knows if that will stay the same, double, or be worth 10% in three years.

IDK, just a random question I suppose.

I run the catering in a deli in Freehold where they have a card show once a month. All I see is grown ass men, not married, and still reveling in this #@#@#@#@. Maybe that's kinda what did it for me. I'm not even 30 so it's not like I feel any of that, just sometimes I wonder if this takes up too much of my time.

Feel free to drop in on this, thanks yo.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Think that every day. I'll get bored in a year or 2 and switch to another hobby. That's my cycle. I figure you can't take it with you so why not experience as many different things/collections as you can before you die.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

This happens to me every year around October and then I get the itch back come spring training. This year wont happen though because I am broke as a joke. I am actually about to have to sell my chipper PC so i can buy a car.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feel the same way, 100%. As soon as I move somewhere with a warm climate (hopefully within the year), I'll put down the cards for my golf clubs, fishing pole and duck blind. While I agree it's fun, takes up way too much of my time.

Instagram: WallStreetCards
Dbott1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am 44 amd married. I have been collecting off and on for close to 30 years.
I have gotten that feeling several times and when I do I just take a break from collecting.
Now I only collect cards that are 5+ years old as the price is pretty steady on them. I consider new cards as garbage. They sell for crazy money at first and most are worth little to nothing real fast.
itradeerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Never... I'm having a blast. I've met some great friends through here and love running breaks. It's a great hobby, and doesn't have to become uber-expensive if you manage everything properly

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had the feeling many times. I would utimately just love to keep my Tigers collection and sell everything else. It can be quite overwhelming at times looking at all the boxes and boxes of cards just sitting in the closet.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have and have in the past as well. I'm actually trying to do that right now but selling everything isn't that easy even if selling for a reasonable price.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I used to but now i dont. After 10 years of collecting my favorite player has autos in products it just becomes a lifestyle for me. I have met people in this hobby that im happy to call friends.
Truemountaineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is more to life than collecting cardboard. This should never be a priority. Live your life and collecting will fall into the right place.

With that said, take a break for awhile. Come back to it in a year or two. If you don't come back, then you haven't lost anything of importance.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

I sold my entire Reds collection a couple years ago and took a lot of time off because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I dabbled in vintage and enjoyed it for a while but I found out I don't care for putting sets together. I then decided I wanted to do a player PC of a Reds minor leaguer so that's what I did and I have enjoyed it more then I ever did with the others.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have done it before but I just switched to different cards.

For example I started out with baseball and hockey around 1997.

I got out of hockey a year later and switched to baseball and football.

Then for a couple years I was big into Pokemon and Magic the Gathering (hey, I was young.. and the others kids were into it too).

Then I sold the baseball, football, Pokemon and Magic and got into wrestling cards.

I sold the wrestling and got back into baseball and football.

I sold the football and most of the baseball recently and now I just mainly do a couple PC players and a few wrestling, non-sports.
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have thought about it before. I collect coins and baseball cards. And I'm always tempted to sell coins to buy baseball cards and vice versa.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am finding myself with that feeling as of now. Instead of selling everything, I'm selling what I truly do not want, and focusing only on my wantlist. I don't buy wax. I have 5 game-used sets I'm piecing together along with a master set of Topps Heritage from 2001-now.

That keeps it exciting, and keeps me busy with only the cards I enjoy.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I am finding myself with that feeling as of now. Instead of selling everything, I'm selling what I truly do not want, and focusing only on my wantlist. I don't buy wax. I have 5 game-used sets I'm piecing together along with a master set of Topps Heritage from 2001-now.

That keeps it exciting, and keeps me busy with only the cards I enjoy.
That was sort of my idea with a quality or quantity PC. I had binders full of cards I didn't REALLY care about. So I sold almost everything and just decided to focus on cards I would really love in my PC.

I don't need to have everything.. I'm VERY picky now..
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

all the time , i actually took 3 years off and rekindled the love
superjames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Let me clarify it has nothing to do with MONEY, but time - which is more valuable.

What I will probably do over the next few months is sell off all the low end stuff of minimal importance - at the risk that a handful out of 100 guys become mega stars and offset and potential profit I lose.

I will then hold onto some Mets guys, and a Stanton and a Harper, just in case they become HOFers and end up with $500 base autos someday.

The clutter can definitely contribute, and is cumbersome in itself to sell off at a reasonable price.

I may just auction off all the things I don't want to keep, and deal with the fees. Way easier than research and pricing. Also I find auctions just attract a ton more action. Case in point my Delgado letter patch...listed it for 10 days total and got one offer for $60. Put it to auction, and within two days it was at $100.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quit the hobby, no, not really. I do often consider selling everything but the top ten percent of my collection. I wouldn't mind cutting down on the 8 3200 count boxes of cards in top loaders. 100+ graded cards. 200+ one touch with PC items. 100+ sets. It's gotten out of control.

I collected 87 to 92. Missed out on Jeter and ARod SP RC's the following year. Picked up again in 1997-2000 and bought a TON of Bowman chrome. Again, missed out on Pujols 2001. Came back again in 2008 through today. I just know the next time I stop I'll miss out on something big. So... I keep bustin'.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have quit and sold everything twice before. About a 10 year gap in between picking back up each time. First time I quit was in the early 90's when the market was going kaput. Second time I was trying to buy my 1st house and that was more important. I've only been back into it about 8 months but no end in sight so far. Married with two kids and two dogs so I don't exactly fit what you are seeing but they are out there. This hobby is what you make of it both timewise and moneywise. Gives me something to do and be entertained by while still being home and spending time with the family.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to JORDANForever

Wow guys you sound kind of sad .....This hobby has grown into a very complex machine and it does take alot of time but its all in how you let it .Dont go for the big things if you have no money find happiness in smaller or younger players.I did this from 8 years old till 25 then had kids locked it all up and searched for myself .Im 37 now got back in at 35 an what a change from inserts to autos being the big thing .Anyway I learned that when I was searching for myself i missed this an its a part of me .To see a guy do good and say wait i think i have his rookie ,or buying just 3 packs and have that itch to what your going to get or now my son is 10 and he is starting to enjoy this as well makes it fun all over again ........Sort out what you dont want and trade that toward your pc ........good luck an keep your head up theres a great group of guys here man
JORDANForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

im still enjoying it . i think it's easy to feel that way if your in it to make money . it's a gamble . but i guess i still enjoy it so much simply becasue i love sports, and it takes me back to my childhood .

i do make some money on the hobby , but i collect mostly for the fun of it . people can say i spend too much money on cards, but theres a million other things far worse i can spend my money on .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
ND3

Wait they do a show in Freehold inside a deli? And Ronlabo hasn't been there
Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #23 (permalink)

I collected from '87 until about '92(ish), and got back into all of this in September. I rushed in and busted way too many boxes/retail. I took a step back when everything started to pile up and I couldn't even remember what I had pulled. I have since started to focus on PC singles for trading/buying. I don't think it's so much giving up and moving on; it's more about prioritizing.

I understand what you mean about the stereotypes at shows. I went to my first show a few weeks ago, and it seemed like I was an outcast (appearance wise). However, all of the guys I talked to seemed down to earth and hygienic. Whatever, I don't mind since I've been in the military for almost 16 years at this point and have to work with a "variety" of people.

Change up your focus, and you'll be happier with the hobby aspect.
We live in a country where Rosa Parks had the courage and conviction to sit down long enough to start a revolution that lead to Al Sharpton screaming racism every time Barry Bonds gets indicted for taking performance enhancing drugs in order to break a home run record set by a black man who didn't even have the benefit of Advil.
66_Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

trust me, the stereotypical fat single man is not the truth.... id say at least third of the members here are teenagers, myself included (im 18).
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo27 View Post
trust me, the stereotypical fat single man is not the truth.... id say at least third of the members here are teenagers, myself included (im 18).
This reminds me, I forgot to add that I am 33, married with a daughter and am in better physical shape than most of the teenagers on this board.
We live in a country where Rosa Parks had the courage and conviction to sit down long enough to start a revolution that lead to Al Sharpton screaming racism every time Barry Bonds gets indicted for taking performance enhancing drugs in order to break a home run record set by a black man who didn't even have the benefit of Advil.
66_Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote