Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Steve Garvey - Prostate Cancer and Auction

Since Garvey was my childhood baseball hero and my first ever PC as a kid, this one really hit home. Always wild to have to see these trophies go up on the auction block, but pretty cool that 70% of the proceeds go to prostate cancer research;

Former Los Angeles Dodgers first baseman Steve Garvey has undergone surgery in his battle against prostate cancer. The Major League Baseball great reveals his prostate was removed in October after a cancer diagnosis one month prior.

The announcement comes as the 1974 National League MVP and 10-time All-Star makes available for auction many items from his own collection, including his MVP trophy. The Los Angeles Times reports 70% of the proceeds form the auctioned items will be given toward prostate cancer awareness.

"I was thrown a pretty good curveball by God," Garvey says. "I felt I was being challenged to work for prostate awareness for men and the women who love them." Though he's not technically in the clear as far as his own cancer fight goes, gravy says he's "cautiously optimistic." He plans to devote much of his time now to prostate cancer awareness.

Along with the MVP trophy, Garvey will auction his 1981 World Series ring, three NL Championship rings, and his 1974 Gold Glove award. Should he miss the items once they're gone, Garvey says he's "making sure to take some beautiful pictures of each one."

SCP Auctions will make the items available beginning April 10
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

classy move. i'm sure he'll raise a nice amount for a good cause. its always nice to see former players auctioning off stuff like this for a cause instead of doing it to pay off their back taxes. good on him.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I met Garvey a few years back, very classy guy. Hope all goes well for him and wish him luck in his new ventures with cancer awareness.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

a very classy guy....
a quick garvey story, i live in nj and my brother in law and sister in law are in san diego, in 92 when the all star game was there , she put my name in the raffle and lo and behold i was selected to purchase tickets.
went to san diego with the family for the event, fan fest was great and the hr derby was not really a big event then, went to it with my wife and my son who was 5 at the time, we walk in o the stadium and we had a bottle of water with the big straw for my son and they wouldnt let us into the stadium with it.
my wife said she will bring it back to the car while me and my son went in and she woulkd meet us inside since she was not a big baseball fan to begin with.
weel she gets back to us and is all smiling, she see's a guy signing autographs for a bunch of peple and she is waiting her turn and when she gets to him she asks " if he is anyboby". well MR garvey answers her " well my mom thinks so".
fast foward to 95 and he is signing auto's at a show i am set up in, my wife was with me helping and walks up to him and asks if he remebers her and he said yes, the woman who asked if i was somebody.
after he acually was talking to wife for a good 15 minutes.
really classy guy. wish him the best
metsy617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I love me some Steve Garvey. Met him multiple times and he's always been great. I wish him the best.
SDcardguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I met him when I was 10 and he couldn't have been nicer. Talked to me and my dad at a little league event of mine for a good 10 minutes before saying "I know I'm not supposed sign anything, but...". I still have the bat and ball and won't ever rid myself of them. Class act, all the way, and I hope he has a successful recovery.

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote