Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsbaseball View Post
I agree completely with others and i call total bs, topps is not releasing uncut superfractor sheets
I suggest you look at this. See those superfractor sheets ?

(3) 2010-2011 Topps/Bowman Chrome & Tribute Uncut Superfractor, Refractor & Relic Uncut Sheets

While I have no clue how they GOT there one would think that if they are being backdoored out of Topps or backdoored out of the printer then Topps would put a stop to it.
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #102 (permalink)

And theres more ...

note the 2 trouts
Not too mention harper and strasburg "superfractor autos"
https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-...l?itemid=55342

"Hook Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and other mega-prospects with these (5) 2010-2011 Bowman Platinum superfractor, refractor and auto sheets. These overprints are absent of any serially numbered stampings or certified autographs but otherwise replicate the elusive parallel insert cards. Included are (3) 2010 Platinum Prospects: (one Superfractor, one Blue Refractor, one Green Refractor) with #5 Trout; 2010 Prospect Autograph Refractors: Trout; 2011 Prospect Autograph Superfractors: Harper, Machado and #BDP1 Strasburg. "

and this (fixed the link)
https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-...l?itemid=55345

"Included are (2) 2010 Topps Chrome Rookie Autographs: (one Gold, one Blue) with (4) #190 Stanton, (4) #195 S. Castro, (4) #212 Strasburg and (2) 2010 Topps Finest Rookie Redemption/2010 Bowman Chrome Draft USA: (one Gold/Orange refractor combo, one both Red refractors) with (12) Strasburg"

Last edited by MetDude; 04-01-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #103 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
I have no inside information about the origin of the superfractor sheets specifically, but its not much of a leap to assume Topps would send something like that when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they've used other rare 1/1 parallel sheets (unnumbered) to make things right with collectors. Should Topps be doing this? Hell no, IMO. But they are. And if a person receives an uncut sheet from Topps instead of something else of value they were supposed to receive, winning a contest, or whatever other reasons Topps sends these sheets out, its the owners right to do with them whatever they want.
Maybe, but below is much more likely IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetDude View Post
I suggest you look at this. See those superfractor sheets ?

(3) 2010-2011 Topps/Bowman Chrome & Tribute Uncut Superfractor, Refractor & Relic Uncut Sheets

While I have no clue how they GOT there one would think that if they are being backdoored out of Topps or backdoored out of the printer then Topps would put a stop to it.
During a press run, sheets are pulled from the front of the press to check for quality issues. These sheets are often tossed into bins for recycling after a job is completed. If someone from the recycling company wanted to just take those sheets, then I do not think they belong to the printing company or Topps at that point. Same thing as when you place your trash at the curb. Not sure there is anything stopping someone from taking whatever they want from the refuse.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
During a press run, sheets are pulled from the front of the press to check for quality issues. These sheets are often tossed into bins for recycling after a job is completed. If someone from the recycling company wanted to just take those sheets, then I do not think they belong to the printing company or Topps at that point. Same thing as when you place your trash at the curb. Not sure there is anything stopping someone from taking whatever they want from the refuse.
That is true and a good point.
Still, one would think there should be instruction to shred them.

Sickening.

Wondering if the calling/writing the auction house could at least clear up the provenance.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #105 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
That is true and a good point.
Still, one would think there should be instruction to shred them.

Sickening.

Wondering if the calling/writing the auction house could at least clear up the provenance.
You would think so but I have worked at a few printing companies and none have done that in-house. They have hired companies that take the bins away. Only printer that I know of that does that type of work with waste press sheets would be a mint.

Again, not sure there would be anything seen as being wrong as these sheets very well could be refuse that someone took.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
You would think so but I have worked at a few printing companies and none have done that in-house. They have hired companies that take the bins away. Only printer that I know of that does that type of work with waste press sheets would be a mint.

Again, not sure there would be anything seen as being wrong as these sheets very well could be refuse that someone took.
Interesting info. Thanks.
I agree, once an item trash its pretty much fair game
and undoubtedly theres nothing wrong with it in the eyes of law.

As far collectors are concerned,
it appears most think theres a whole lotta wrong in these being out there.
I sure do.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #107 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
As far collectors are concerned,
it appears most think theres a whole lotta wrong in these being out there.
I sure do.
I certainly agree with this POV. Press sheets have no value to me at all and I am surprised there is much of a market for them.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #108 (permalink)

I would love to have these framed and in my man-cave. I will be bidding on these auctions. (18.5 hammer fee - ouch!)

In the meantime, I've got these in hand...

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 04-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #109 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to autocut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD617 View Post
Pretty sure Topps is the one selling these...

Anyone with a Twitter account want to blow them up until they answer why they are doing this?
Just did. Wonder if they will respond.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #110 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to autocut

Topps sell uncut sheets on their website: Wall Art
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocut View Post
Topps sell uncut sheets on their website: Wall Art
Luckily just the base sets, those wouldn't have much value cut up.
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocut View Post
Just did. Wonder if they will respond.
Don't know if it's just me but I think this is a BIG deal an should be fixed by topps or atleast give us an answer about it. Imagine a guy who paid $5k for a Strasburg BC super since its a 1/1 and now sees another up for auction with possibly more to follow. Please Lmk what they say. If I had twitter I'd be asking them daily until they respond.
JoeD617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #113 (permalink)
Banned

Default My pops owns a commercial printing company

We shred $1 dollar coupons we manufacture for fortune 500 companies. We recycle all waste that does not need to be shredded. This is not rocket science TOPPS. Its printing
Eduardo Nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #114 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

You can chop waste sheets with a standard cutter. It doesn't even need to be shredded. Paper recycling companies usually will drop a compactor at no charge for the ability to take your paper away.

If topps is throwing away press sheets instead of either shredding or "chopping" on a cutter then they are asking for the guys who recycle their paper to pick thru it for $$$
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #115 (permalink)

I bought the SDJ Orange and Purple ($13 each, guy wants $499 for the Super? The actual Super is probably barely worth that)

Anyway, they are noticeably larger than the real thing, but the quality is surprisingly high. I only got them as a unique, fake, gimmicky piece to my collection but outside of the fact that they aren't serial numbered they are very convincing.

I don't think it would be too hard to replicate the 1/1 or any number Topps adds.

Seems pretty suspect, and I am already worried about people counterfeiting BGS cases (also would not be too hard for a motivated individual)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrett View Post
I bought the SDJ Orange and Purple ($13 each, guy wants $499 for the Super? The actual Super is probably barely worth that)

Anyway, they are noticeably larger than the real thing, but the quality is surprisingly high. I only got them as a unique, fake, gimmicky piece to my collection but outside of the fact that they aren't serial numbered they are very convincing.

I don't think it would be too hard to replicate the 1/1 or any number Topps adds.

Seems pretty suspect, and I am already worried about people counterfeiting BGS cases (also would not be too hard for a motivated individual)
I wouldn't be surprised since I saw my first FAKE 1/1 stamp last weekend at a flea market. Looked perfect too just wasn't indented like a real stamp.
JoeD617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #117 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Nunez View Post
We shred $1 dollar coupons we manufacture for fortune 500 companies. We recycle all waste that does not need to be shredded. This is not rocket science TOPPS. Its printing
Quote:
You can chop waste sheets with a standard cutter. It doesn't even need to be shredded. Paper recycling companies usually will drop a compactor at no charge for the ability to take your paper away.

If topps is throwing away press sheets instead of either shredding or "chopping" on a cutter then they are asking for the guys who recycle their paper to pick thru it for $$$
The type of printing that you are talking about is web based. This is newspapers, and other high volume cheap quality printing. Baseball cards are printed on high quality sheet fed presses. I have worked for close to two decades in commercial sheet fed printing, for some of the largest companies in the printing business. None of them, except one, even had a compactor for there press sheets. It just is not cost effective to have someone in bindery slice the waste.

I am sure that Topps outsources their print work and each of those companies has there own set of procedures of what they do with the waste. Again, I have never worked for a sheet fed company that shreds or chops the waste press sheets, nor have I ever heard of a company doing so.

The person that has these sheets either works for the printing company that Topps out sourced work to or works for the recycling company that was hired to remove the waste.

Someone here posted that Topps has contacted this person and a lawsuit is in the works. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
The type of printing that you are talking about is web based. This is newspapers, and other high volume cheap quality printing. Baseball cards are printed on high quality sheet fed presses. I have worked for close to two decades in commercial sheet fed printing, for some of the largest companies in the printing business. None of them, except one, even had a compactor for there press sheets. It just is not cost effective to have someone in bindery slice the waste.

I am sure that Topps outsources their print work and each of those companies has there own set of procedures of what they do with the waste. Again, I have never worked for a sheet fed company that shreds or chops the waste press sheets, nor have I ever heard of a company doing so.

The person that has these sheets either works for the printing company that Topps out sourced work to or works for the recycling company that was hired to remove the waste.

Someone here posted that Topps has contacted this person and a lawsuit is in the works. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Good for Topps, that is exactly what they should do.

Assuming that is the case these cards/sheets are stolen property.

There are a lot of other threads on this and there are folks who are blasting Topps for letting these get out, yet at the same time they are buying these cards on ebay. I don't understand how anyone can justify doing that.

I can't understand how anyone can justify buying these cards.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #119 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Actually no but its funny your going to tell me about my Print Shop. We are a sheetfed shop not a web shop. We run Komori L40 5 color 40inch with AQ coating tower. We do tearpads/coupons in the 5000-100,000 QTY range. We have a compactor that a paper recycle company gives us and then they profit from the recycled paper. I also could care less how Quad or RRD run their business if thats who you are ref. Both constantly lose money and then raise more and more capital by diluting common shareholders. We shred and chop valid coupons as instructed by our Fortune 500 clients. Bigger isn't better.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually no but its funny your going to tell me about my Print Shop. We are a sheetfed shop not a web shop. We run Komori L40 5 color 40inch with AQ coating tower. We do tearpads/coupons in the 5000-100,000 QTY range. We have a compactor that a paper recycle company gives us and then they profit from the recycled paper. I also could care less how Quad or RRD run their business if thats who you are ref. Both constantly lose money and then raise more and more capital by diluting common shareholders. We shred and chop valid coupons as instructed by our Fortune 500 clients. Bigger isn't better.
Somebody call the Wahhhembulance
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendrix1303 View Post
+1

ten characters
cnewby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #122 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendrix1303 View Post
More interwebz experts on everything. Just goes to show you that anyone with internet access can be a professional something or other.

I've had enough of this thread.

Cliffs.
The one guy in the thread that actually owns a printing company told you what topps should be doing. Is ridiculed for it and leaves.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #123 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Never seen a printer that does low end coupons on a sheet fed press. Seems this fortune 500 company that has sourced you guys has more money that brains. Komori is a nice press and I started my printing career on one, though after that I was strictly on Heidelberg presses. A compactor is one thing but you were stating that sheet fed companies shred or chop their press sheets, which is not the case at all. Now if you have a client that has specifically requested that the waste be destroyed in house and is willing to pay for that service, then that is a different issue all together. You might be right though, as maybe Topps and their customers should expect that to happen with their press sheets but it certainly does not seem to be the case.

No, I have not worked for Quad Graphics or Donnelly, they are printing company consolidators. I have worked in Chicago and here in Texas, on presses that you could only droll over.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #124 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Never seen a printer that does low end coupons on a sheet fed press. Seems this fortune 500 company that has sourced you guys has more money that brains. Komori is a nice press and I started my printing career on one, though after that I was strictly on Heidelberg presses. A compactor is one thing but you were stating that sheet fed companies shred or chop their press sheets, which is not the case at all. Now if you have a client that has specifically requested that the waste be destroyed in house and is willing to pay for that service, then that is a different issue all together. You might be right though, as maybe Topps and their customers should expect that to happen with their press sheets but it certainly does not seem to be the case.

No, I have not worked for Quad Graphics or Donnelly, they are printing company consolidators. I have worked in Chicago and here in Texas, on presses that you could only droll over.

Maybe our clients don't want their product to look like crap and are willing to pay a premium for it. We print for Unilever, Mastercard, Amex, and Philips. We are extremely competitive on runs up to 300k impressions on our sheetfed presses. You don't know our niche or our clients.

The way tear pads/coupons are handled is we warehouse them until they expire or we chop them up with our 2nd cutter.

Why would I drool over some perfector you worked on when I own my presses free and clear? Yes sir I have a few million dollars in iron sitting on my floor and I"m jealous of some guy on a message board that works on a nice press.
I'm so glad I met a expert in the print industry today even though my family has been doing our thing for 32 years. Now go take the red up a little bit buddy.

Regards
Ed Nunez
Old 04-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #125 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Maybe our clients don't want their product to look like crap and are willing to pay a premium for it. We print for Unilever, Mastercard, Amex, and Philips. We are extremely competitive on runs up to 300k impressions on our sheetfed presses. You don't know our niche or our clients.

The way tear pads/coupons are handled is we warehouse them until they expire or we chop them up with our 2nd cutter.

Why would I drool over some perfector you worked on when I own my presses free and clear? Yes sir I have a few million dollars in iron sitting on my floor and I"m jealous of some guy on a message board that works on a nice press.
I'm so glad I met a expert in the print industry today even though my family has been doing our thing for 32 years. Now go take the red up a little bit buddy.

Regards
Ed Nunez
You are right I do not know your daddy's business or your clients. I just simply stated that all of the sheet fed companies that I have worked at, never shredded or chopped the waste press sheets unless the client specifically requested to do so.

Your family built the business and you are the authority because you ride coat tails? Stop it, you wanted to make this personal so here it is. What exactly do you do for your daddy's company? Probably a CRS would be my guess. I like Komori presses, as stated above but what Heidelberg offers can not be touched in the high quality sheet fed market. I am guessing that your comment about taking the red up a bit just shows me that you do not actually do any of the work. It just makes you feel important that your daddy owns the company and makes you feel that your opinion matters. I have worked with people like you before that are above getting their hands dirty.

If it were not for people such as myself, your million dollar piece of iron on the floor would be just that. Wish your family continued success in the future and try not to run your daddy's company into the ground.