Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #101 (permalink)

I still think this team needs more energy. Younger guys would have been great on this team. Did guys like Harper and Trout, not want to play? Pitching was fine, but the offense was just terrible.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #102 (permalink)

lol..... the first guy she interviewed wasnt figueroa... god what an idiot.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
If the likes of Verlander and Kershaw would pitch as well, (even tho Vogelsong pitched a good game today)
Dodgers only would allow Kershaw to pitch 3 innings the entire classic, that's why he didn't pitch for the US. I wouldn't put this on the SPs, Kimbrel choked, but there are a few better pitchers that could've pitched.
DCN12586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #104 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricksb4 View Post
I still think this team needs more energy. Younger guys would have been great on this team. Did guys like Harper and Trout, not want to play? Pitching was fine, but the offense was just terrible.
Most don't want to play. It's just not important. They're already playing 162 plus playoffs, and could probably care less about this when their main goal is the WS, and to protect themselves to not lose out on making the most $$$ possible.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #105 (permalink)

Yea who was that first guy? He was still chewing tobacco and got pulled in to do an interview.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #106 (permalink)

Didn't Rosenthal have an article recently with Harper saying he wants to play?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Harper said he would take Wright's spot if they wanted him. Talent in OF wasn't a problem; it's the performance.

From the original lineup, I'd change 2-3 guys with guys willing to play. Need results, it's a small sample, but some had horrific plate appearances.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #108 (permalink)

Torre made some weird bullpen changes tonight. Watching the Giants, Affeldt is great against righties and lefties. He should have came in for Vogey.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #109 (permalink)

I'm NOT saying that Hosmer was the best choice but he did have the second most RBI's (5) on the team behind David Wright. That's as many as Stanton, Braun, Victorino, Zobrist, Bloomquist, and Lucroy had combined.

Last edited by KC35; 03-15-2013 at 11:47 PM.
KC35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC35 View Post
I'm NOT saying that Hosmer was the best choice but he did the second most RBI's (5) on the team behind David Wright. That's as many as Stanton, Braun, Victorino, Zobrist, Bloomquist, and Lucroy had combined.
Agreed 100%. Adam Jones had a terrible WBC, at least his at-bats look like it did.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #111 (permalink)

Puerto Rico is technically kind of a part of the U.S.....so....we still won! They could have avoided this by making them a state. Ha.
ArsonCuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed 100%. Adam Jones had a terrible WBC, at least his at-bats look like it did.
Stanton and Braun are supposed to be these big time superstars that the USA requires to win games yet they only got an RBI each... I feel like Bryce Harper would have done better in either of their spots just because of the way he plays the game. Although I did like seeing Stanton going into that all out dive to stop a ball from rolling to the wall against the DR.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsonCuff View Post
Puerto Rico is technically kind of a part of the U.S.....so....we still won! They could have avoided this by making them a state. Ha.
Plus Figueroa is from Brooklyn, so...
centereacan06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #114 (permalink)

IMO spring training is mostly for pitchers. The excuse of not having many ABs doesn't fly for hitters, they already say ST is too long.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #115 (permalink)

It's just pathetic. Lost to a country with 1.2% of the population in the US. 3.7 million vs 315 million
azviking101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
Plus Figueroa is from Brooklyn, so...
i hate when players do that. also i noticed alot of people who were born in america root for other teams just because of there ethnicity sort of annoys me
S.Gallagherfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #117 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azviking101 View Post
It's just pathetic. Lost to our own unincorporated territory with 1.2% of the population in the US. 3.7 million vs 315 million
Fixed it. Also don't know if the 315 million includes the 3.7 or not from Puerto Rico. Doesn't change the % by much, 1.16% vs. 1.17%.

Also, why does Puerto Rico get a team in this? They're all US citizens. With US Passports. 61% of them want to become a US state. I feel as though this game should be stricken from the recordbooks with Puerto Rico conceeding to the US. Not that us going on to embarass ourselves against the Netherlands or Japan is a particularily awesome plan...

Also, I didn't watch the game. I just like commenting on things I find funny, like this quasi-paradox.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
I can name 5 other U.S 1b I'd rather have on the team than Hosmer... Wow

yes, well only problem is they are currently with their REAL teams
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #119 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by azviking101 View Post
It's just pathetic. Lost to a country with 1.2% of the population in the US. 3.7 million vs 315 million
Again, it doesnt really matter because we didnt have our best players playing, unlike every other country in the tourney. Do you really think Japan has better talent than the US over the last 6 years? I mean they won 2 WBC. The tournament is meaningless in the US, and to the US UNTIL they actually take it seriously and have the best of the country.

IMO this should just be a college tourney for the US, at least those guys will be eager to play.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #120 (permalink)

There really isn't a reason for fans of the US to care. The journalists like Rosenthal, Heyman etc can complain about the lack of caring (which they did plenty of), but why should any of us really care until the players start to care?

I'd prefer the best pitchers like Verlander, Kershaw, Price etc to not participate if they aren't ready. Too much at stake to pitch in the event if you aren't ready.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Again, it doesnt really matter because we didnt have our best players playing, unlike every other country in the tourney. Do you really think Japan has better talent than the US over the last 6 years? I mean they won 2 WBC. The tournament is meaningless in the US, and to the US UNTIL they actually take it seriously and have the best of the country.

IMO this should just be a college tourney for the US, at least those guys will be eager to play.
Other teams are lacking their country's best players as well. DR in example.