Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Awful news! Another company needs a license because there needs to be competition.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #27 (permalink)

I love topps , besides the redemptions and horrible customer service. I will always be a fan of topps
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

I love Topps, too.....but both MLB and the fanbase would be better served without an exclusivity agreement.

I wonder who holds the cards in this agreement....is Topps powerful enough that they can force MLB to keep them exclusive or does the MLB just not want to bother with multiple card producers.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

I'm all for competition, would love EEE to show logos/teams. But topps can never lose their license, no shock here. Just wish it wasn't exclusive

Last edited by nuccionino; 03-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
I like Topps. Wouldn't have minded the competition though, could have helped Customer service. The cards look great this year, the customer service is the problem.
This.......
babybull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #31 (permalink)

Topps has done a decent job...

No competion is always really bad....

Makes no sense...

But maybe after NT panini has turned the corner...
Ginter Rip cards...
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
Axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab85 View Post
If Topps lost the license, you could kiss this hobby as we know it goodbye.

No more Topps = No more Bowman Chrome.

This is great news, IMO
no one wants Topps to lose the license, just lose the monopoly over baseball.

though i will say as long as the other brands do not have much for low end products for kids, they are just hurting themselves. kids do NOT cater to $4 per pack cards that take 4-5 boxes to maybe complete 1 set, lol. as it seems MLB is constantly stressing youth.

Last edited by Axe; 03-18-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #33 (permalink)

This is a sad day for baseball collectors in general.

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
no one wants Topps to lose the license, just lose the monopoly over baseball.

though i will say as long as the other brands do not have much for low end products for kids, they are just hurting themselves. kids do NOT cater to $4 per pack cards that take 4-5 boxes to maybe complete 1 set, lol. as it seems MLB is constantly stressing youth.
I definitely agree that it would be in the best interests of the Hobby for Topps to have some competition. Competition always promotes innovation and is what American business is founded on.

It is just that it is probably in the best interests of whomever at the MLB makes the decision that there is one exclusive license. It is probably worth a whole lot more money for someone's wallet for Topps to have the exclusive rights over the trading cards.

It's not just cards that this has been done for. Look at video games.

EA bought the exclusive license for the NFL and lost out on MLB's around 2005. There is way more money in selling one license and driving the price up versus selling 2 or 3 or 10 licenses.

With the profitability of single licenses, and the lack of multiple companies other than Topps and Panini to drive the price up of, say, two licenses, I'd find it hard to envision ever having more than one licensed MLB product again.

Having said that, of course I'd rather see Panini and Topps have MLB products, but realize I'll take Topps over Panini any day of the week if it were to come down to an exclusive license.

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #35 (permalink)

As a more simple card collector, I really don't mind. I miss other companies like Upper Deck and Donruss, but I'll always have fun collecting cards, no matter what company they're made by.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #36 (permalink)

Wow this news just ruined my day. Not really shocking, just disappointing. As suspected, the people at MLB don't give a damn about anything but the money. They dont care who makes it, how its made, how good their customer service is, etc. I understand it is a business, but could MLB really not get the same amount of money combined by allowing major players like upper deck and panini to get in on a license to? It does concern me that a company would license its name and image to another company without caring one bit about the quality. Also, it really doesn't matter to me what the product it, I would hate to see any exclusive license because as people mentioned it does nothing to stimulate growth and innovation. If people just have one choice then the company knows they dont have to do jack squat to get your business. Can you imagine if the japanese car manufacturers didnt come into america and force the american companies to increase their quality? Think of what junky cars we would still be driving around in if we only had a couple of choices.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #37 (permalink)

How is this bad? If Topps don't have a license, then no bowman! Which is the only rc for baseball cards people go after!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

Does this mean we're going to be stuck with all those incredibly terrible Topps commercials?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcwecfan View Post
How is this bad? If Topps don't have a license, then no bowman! Which is the only rc for baseball cards people go after!
It is all about an EXCLUSIVE license. Most people aren't going to argue that Topps should have their license taken away, but people want choices and people want competition

Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
It is all about an EXCLUSIVE license. Most people aren't going to argue that Topps should have their license taken away, but people want choices and people want competition
I would have to assume that sales are greater than before exclusive licenses. Even when the playing field was whittled down to Upper Deck and Topps in 06, that was to try and boost the industry.

I'd have to say 2010 - 2012 have been banner years for the industry, with Strasburg, Trout and Harper setting the market on fire. I'd say in 2013, the industry is as strong as ever in the past 20 years, post-strike. We haven't seen any actual numbers since Eisner's takeover, but I'd have to imagine they are racking up quite a profit at Topps, using the exclusive licenses as a vehicle. The MLB no doubt sees this, and probably has no reason to change the exclusive license if times are good as I would speculate.

Here is a nice article on the Topps company by Sports Card Radio
Card Tank: The Topps Company

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #41 (permalink)

Gives me time to finish up all those Upper Deck sets from the late 90's/early 2000's.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #42 (permalink)

I'm not sure why people are upset about this. Other companies can still make cards, they just can't use team logos ect. NT seems to be selling just fine. Topps has had a relationship with MLB going back to the 50s. If Topps didn't have an exclusive, the market would be super saturated with product (see panini basketball). So many people already complain about lower level stars autos, how many stars autos do you think will hold value over multiple releases?

Can someone provide some examples of how Topps was innovative or how much better their customer service was when there were other licensed card makers? I am curious because I was away from the hobby from 2000-2006 and don't remember much that has changed with a Topps exclusive.
hmmdecloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #43 (permalink)

I was REALLY hoping UD would have been able to jump back into the game. I'm directing 99% of my collecting on 90's inserts/wax from now on. No, I won't pull a superfractor that somebody will pay me $20k for, but I'll pull the cards/players that made the hobby fun and exciting when I was a kid. Besides the 2013 bowman case break im already a part of, I plan to pass on anything newer than 1999 for the next couple years unless Topps actually makes an effort.
85GoCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmdecloth View Post
I'm not sure why people are upset about this. Other companies can still make cards, they just can't use team logos ect. NT seems to be selling just fine. Topps has had a relationship with MLB going back to the 50s. If Topps didn't have an exclusive, the market would be super saturated with product (see panini basketball). So many people already complain about lower level stars autos, how many stars autos do you think will hold value over multiple releases?
You just contradicted yourself. You stated if Topps didn't have an exclusive license then there would be a ton of product like Panini basketball. The whole reason why Panini basketball puts out so much junk is the fact that they have the exclusive NBA license. They pay such a high fee that they need to pump out the trash just to pay it off and turn a profit. That is why exclusive licenses are bad, in addition to the fact that no competition means no innovation

Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpounder View Post
at least there is some good news...

MLBPA grants Upper Deck a baseball card license

I don't think it helps on the prospect front, but at least for all major leaguers, it'll be good to see UD product w/ real logos again.
Bring Me: Giancarlo Stanton, Buster Posey, Mike Trout, Manny Machado, Chrome Auto Gold Refractors.Basketball: Jordan, Lebron, Giannis, Kyrie, Lillard, and Klay Thompson Hockey: Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture, Tomas Hertl, Nathan MacKinnon Non-Sport: Kate Beckinsale
secbigazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by secbigazn View Post

I don't think it helps on the prospect front, but at least for all major leaguers, it'll be good to see UD product w/ real logos again.
This isn't any different than what Panini has right now, big difference between MLB and MLBPA license....
2013 Bowman/5 Auto,2013 Tribute WBC Patch, All 1/1's.
pigeonsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #47 (permalink)

the funny thing about this thread is people say the same thing about panini in basketball, it's like a company really can't win no matter what they do........

upperdeck is popular because they create unrealistic products that are hard to maintain, if they had a liscense and put out those type of products on a regular basis, they'd go out of biz. it's not cost effective to pump out national treasures styled products on a regular basis.
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSC View Post
It's not about Topps losing the license. It's about exclusivity. Without competition, consumers suffer. The end.
Exactly.

I've never had a problem with Topps and generally like their products, but I think that exclusivity in general is a very bad idea.

Wonder if they try to buy out Upper Deck now?
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSC View Post
It's not about Topps losing the license. It's about exclusivity. Without competition, consumers suffer. The end.
If I could quote this a billion times I would. It's anti-consumerism and it's never good.

I think Topps as a whole is solid, CS be damned, don't get me wrong. But any decision that permits a company to rest on its laurels is a bad decision.
WillBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by secbigazn View Post

Compete opposite man they can't use logos but they can now use pictures of the players and here comes a lot more prospect products
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote