Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
As a more simple card collector, I really don't mind. I miss other companies like Upper Deck and Donruss, but I'll always have fun collecting cards, no matter what company they're made by.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
As a more simple card collector, I really don't mind. I miss other companies like Upper Deck and Donruss, but I'll always have fun collecting cards, no matter what company they're made by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer65 View Post
My sentiments exactly.
Me three...

Always looking for interesting George Brett cards and currently working to acquire all possible Baseball Hall of Fame autos. (58% complete!)
Skipscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quick Panini, get a WBC license and create another great 1st quarter product!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
Quick Panini, get a WBC license and create another great 1st quarter product!
WBC is owned by MLB, so I'd assume WBC is a package deal for Topps

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #55 (permalink)

I'm just disappointed we wont be seeing fully licensed and logo'd National Treasures in the future..
Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
Compete opposite man they can't use logos but they can now use pictures of the players and here comes a lot more prospect products
Except the UD agreement doesn't include prospects only veterans

Quote:
Now, with all of its books apparently in order, the MLBPA is allowing Upper Deck to proceed making union-approved cardboard. That allows it to use current players (non-prospects) in bulk in its products, but not with MLB-owned logos and names on the cards. (Panini America was granted the same license in September 2011.)
yankee_pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
upperdeck is popular because they create unrealistic products that are hard to maintain, if they had a liscense and put out those type of products on a regular basis, they'd go out of biz. it's not cost effective to pump out national treasures styled products on a regular basis.
I don't follow. You think it is hard for them to create a quality high end product priced at $350/box on an ongoing basis?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #58 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I would've loved for Panini/UD to come back with some fresh stuff.
@SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpounder View Post
I don't follow. You think it is hard for them to create a quality high end product priced at $350/box on an ongoing basis?
absolutely........it's a more difficult product to create, the cards are thicker, and you different machines/cuts to create the cards, you need all the hall of fame level of memorabilia etc......

those type of products like national treasures work because of the way the liscense is setup, it's not like they could put out 20 different types of national treasures products a year. they do 1 and it works because there is a market for it, if they had the liscense the market would be there, but they would dilute they own product by making more.

people tend to like things because they can't get it, or it's harder to get. the whole card industry is based on that factor. the minute it's easy to get, the popularity goes down.

bowman and topps stuff are actually great products, the people in the basketball forum would kill to have topps chrome and rookie chrome basketball cards, refractors etc. and it's mostly for the same reason because they can't get them anymore.

i'm not saying that upper deck and panini wouldn't make great products because they would. but the business end of it is hard to maintain and keep that heat level of how national treasures dropped this year. it wouldn't be popular like that if they did 10-20 similiar sets in the same year. so it's really no point in having the liscense. they did great without it.

the memorabilia for alot of the cards/bats/etc for hall of fame / legend stuff is pretty pricey.
Collecting Carlos Correa / Byron Buxton / Manny Machado / Bryce Harper / Mark Appel / Kris Bryant (lower end stuff & bgs slabs) Basketball: Blake Griffin / Derrick Rose / Paul George / Damian Lillard Football: Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #60 (permalink)

Great. Another decade of high-end licensed baseball that just can't be done right.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #61 (permalink)

I love that Topps will remain the exclusive MLB cards maker as long as you don't make the mistake in 2012 Topps and not including gold parallels, at least they made up in Update.
I am collecting LeBron James 2010-11 cards in general. 100 different 2010-11 cards and 100 total LeBron cards reached on May 11, 2012. 191 total LeBrons cards now. I got 177 certified autographed cards with 100 being reached on 10-11-12, 150 reached on 3-25-13 and 1 Manute Bol "non-certified" autograph. (none of LeBron of course)
dxtrfn80 is offline   Reply With Quote