Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #26 (permalink)
Tim

[QUOTE=jlzinck;4507136]Brentandbecca paid $28K+ in fees last year to Ebay.
Using the new system their fees would be $40K

QUOTE]

not true. that would only be true if ALL of their fees were for items that sold for over $50.00. remember, the new system has 9% compared to 12% on items that are UNDER $50.00.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

[QUOTE=Tim;4507384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Brentandbecca paid $28K+ in fees last year to Ebay.
Using the new system their fees would be $40K

not true. that would only be true if ALL of their fees were for items that sold for over $50.00. remember, the new system has 9% compared to 12% on items that are UNDER $50.00.
Well these are their words not mine. Brent is pretty spot on with his posts/tweets.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

you're comparing fixed price to fixed price. brent currently sells many high dollar cards through auctions - and the fee jump for auctions > $50 is much, much greater. his auction FVF will probably be close to double what they are now.

also it is currently 11% < $50, not 12%

Last edited by phil; 03-20-2013 at 10:50 AM.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #29 (permalink)

[QUOTE=bigsmoot2;4502157]For non store, here are some of the new things coming in April:

*50 free listings per month, auction AND fixed price
*Flat FVF fee of 10%, so 8% for Top Rated
*Sounds like they are knocking down the Unpaid item 2 days (that was unclear, hopefully now 6 is the minimum as opposed to 8)
*BINs that are hit will still stay for sale until the item is paid for (although if you use Immediate Payment on BIN) not sure how that does any good

A slight hike in FVFs on more expensive stuff over $80 or so, and a slight break on FVF for BIN/BO on cheaper stuff under $80 or so.[/Q
Haven't seen anything about them lowering the time you have to wait by 2 days,
But I've been saying they should do that.8 days is just too long to tie up a card.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
you're comparing fixed price to fixed price. brent currently sells many high dollar cards through auctions - and the fee jump for auctions > $50 is much, much greater. his auction FVF will probably be close to double what they are now.

also it is currently 11% < $50, not 12%
I was going to say something,I don't own a store.Thought it might be different for store owners.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #31 (permalink)

my fees take in to consideration the store cost I will have to pay and the HUGE increase I have to pay on my listings...currently auction fees for store owners are 7.5% for first $50 and just 4% after the first $50, NOW everything is a flat 9% for store owners!!!
that is a huge increase to everyone

Do the math on a $300 item/$500/$1000 , or let's say you sell sealed cases, do the math on a $2-$3k case, wow wow wow
I am an auction seller over 99% of the time, and sure I will save 10 cents from NOT listing it, BUT I still pay for that listing by getting a store, so either way we are still paying for listings...

PLUS...
Another issue I have is that eBay is pushing stores, YET only NON-STORE OWNERS with now have free buy it now feature and the new listing scheduler

How is this right? Seems backwards. I pay you for my "free listings" yet I don't get to very important "free" features?! I would think those selling more than 50 items a month would need the listing scheduler more than not
That to me is backwards.

eBay is still the best option, although others are out there
thankfully near 60% of my sales come off ebay and are direct with customers the past few years
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #32 (permalink)

I have to say the extra effort they've made lately to try to prevent offline deals being made through eBay Messaging makes a lot more sense now.

Glad I'm no longer selling
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
no the current system is 7.5% for first $50 and 4% after
and current for fixed price is 11%
these numbers are IF you currently have a basic store

they will all move to a flat 9% no matter the sales price. I list more than 99% of things via auction...
sure fixed priced has a place, but always amazes me sellers are willing to pay so much more in fees to list and sell at fixed price, sometimes it is a good thing if it sells strong, but not always

Talking to sellers, it is no wonder ebay is going to a streamlined flat fee for all (although current system seems more 'fair')
Most all sellers I talk to do not know the fees.... it is a HUGE increase
here are fees for a store
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/storefees.html
again it will be 9% flat for auctions, MOVING UP from 7.5 for first $50 and 4% after that.....that is HUGE increases

Last edited by brentandbecca; 03-20-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #34 (permalink)

brentandbecca couple questions if you know?

how does the 20% off fee's factor in for top rated sellers etc? any factor on that reguarding a store/no store? or no change?

do you consider card sales to be profitable? and this puts a damper on your profit? or is this mainly just a hobby thing? that will push you away from the hobby?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
brentandbecca couple questions if you know?

how does the 20% off fee's factor in for top rated sellers etc? any factor on that reguarding a store/no store? or no change?

do you consider card sales to be profitable? and this puts a damper on your profit? or is this mainly just a hobby thing? that will push you away from the hobby?
no change on 20%, does not matter store or not

can card sales be profitable? yes but for most they are not, and there are not too many products that are consistently, this started as a hobby and while it has become a biz due to the volume I still collect... THIS will not push me out by itself, but I have been looking to stop soon anyway due to so many other factors, the most important being family/time/life then their are other rising costs, and possible inet sales tax, and usps rates, and quality of products, etc....so many factors
but it is different for everyone
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #36 (permalink)

here is a great calculator to compare current and upcoming fees
eBay.com : Fee Calculator

if you have any store and list a 99 cent auction that sells for $20 + $3 shipping
your fee will rise from $1.82 to $2.07

now think of that of the course of a year, and add in the cost of a $200/month store (anchor) if you want more free listings... you are paying for the listings either way, just crazy, lol

huge increases, and the increases after $50 really jump up
a $250 item goes from $11.97 to $22.77
Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
THIS will not push me out by itself, but I have been looking to stop soon anyway due to so many other factors, the most important being family/time/life then their are other rising costs, and possible inet sales tax, and usps rates, and quality of products, etc....so many factors
but it is different for everyone
yeah this seems to be how alot of people feel, I kinda think that people are coming for money within the industry of cards that just isn't there. it's more'so they are trying to profit but not factoring in that there is alot of situations where it's just done with disposable income that makes it look like alot of profit, but it's really not. I think ebay and other place as well should take into account that the rip & flip isn't as "PROFITABLE" as they consider it. they are opening themselves up to a collapse when they keep raising fee's and costs. of course it will iron out and fix itself later on, but they are about to create a gap where people can't afford it pretty soon.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Tim

sorry guys for the misunderstanding - i was looking at fixed price only, not auctions. and i could have sworn it was 12% - was it ever 12% and lowered to 11%???
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #39 (permalink)

eBay can suck it.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #40 (permalink)

Thought I saw it about Unpaid Items being opened after two days, bout halfway down the page:
eBay Seller Information Center: 2013 Spring Seller Update: Unpaid items
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #41 (permalink)

Lots of good points in this thread so far. I think what is possibly being missed is the fact that eBay doesn't focus on sports cards and probably didn't even think about a sports card when making these determinations. I have no idea what the eBay market break down is, but I'm guessing sports cards isn't their largest money maker, althrough I'm sure it's a notable one. It would be interested to see how the changes are affecting other major eBay sales areas since there is no doubt it's screwing over many in the sports card side of things.

Let me know what you have!
speedmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #42 (permalink)

The 50 free BID listings are awesome for me, as I've been not listing much because I hate auctions. Although the free scheduled auctions will also be awesome for the rare times I do want to auction things. I'm happy with these changes, but I'm a small seller.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #43 (permalink)

Seems like a great opportunity for many to try out Home Page - Collector Revolution. No fees under $5 and max 5% fee on all sales. I've been selling a bunch over there and traffic is really picking up.
jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fergman78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
Seems like a great opportunity for many to try out Home Page - Collector Revolution. No fees under $5 and max 5% fee on all sales. I've been selling a bunch over there and traffic is really picking up.
I just signed up for this site. Thinking about moving a few of my Ebay listings over there. How long have you been on the site. What price point of cards have you sold over there. Feel free to pm me so we dont take this thread offtopic.

Twitter: @scott_NECC
fergman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #45 (permalink)

Here comes the blitz of .99 BIN cards again. Ebay continues to see-saw between Auction and BIN but every time they increase the fees for people who want to make more than 70 cents.
Jim's cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #46 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Looking for advice: at what point does it make fiscal sense to "open a store?" I don't make a living selling cards, but I put in a fair amount of free time and make decent money selling. I'm just curious to see if I could save money on fees. Any help is greatly appreciated.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyno View Post
Looking for advice: at what point does it make fiscal sense to "open a store?" I don't make a living selling cards, but I put in a fair amount of free time and make decent money selling. I'm just curious to see if I could save money on fees. Any help is greatly appreciated.
pm BrentandBecca I'm sure they could tell you which way to go.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #48 (permalink)

It seems like every month they run a promotion for free listings. I just wait for those at this point unless a new case of something is released that I'm trying to rip and flip.

A couple weeks ago they did a promotion of up to 2500 items, and then another one for up to 500 items just ended. I just keep turbolister loaded and wait for the promotions.

Let me know what you have!
speedmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #49 (permalink)

The real change eBay needs to make is to automatically include "-rize" in every search.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmasterp View Post
Lots of good points in this thread so far. I think what is possibly being missed is the fact that eBay doesn't focus on sports cards and probably didn't even think about a sports card when making these determinations. I have no idea what the eBay market break down is, but I'm guessing sports cards isn't their largest money maker, althrough I'm sure it's a notable one. It would be interested to see how the changes are affecting other major eBay sales areas since there is no doubt it's screwing over many in the sports card side of things.
correct, and it is not as large as you think as I have been told by ebay reps that ebay does not even appreciate sports cards as much as the avg sell thru % and avg sales price is too low, they like the bigger items, and this KILLS bigger items across the board, plus makes them earn monthly fees to sell on their site up front if doing any volume

do not be fooled by free listings, you are still paying for them and even some you may not use, and like a cell phone plan if you go over, the costs are stepper now