Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's cards View Post
Here comes the blitz of .99 BIN cards again. Ebay continues to see-saw between Auction and BIN but every time they increase the fees for people who want to make more than 70 cents.
actually, you may be right, but ebay is hoping with no tiered fees that people will start prices out much higher, and was a big reason to move listings from 10 cents to 25 cents for auctions this was to encourage higher min bids and can help some sellers if they do so
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
actually, you may be right, but ebay is hoping with no tiered fees that people will start prices out much higher, and was a big reason to move listings from 10 cents to 25 cents for auctions this was to encourage higher min bids and can help some sellers if they do so
I'm confused. Wouldn't lowering the listing fee make people start at a higher price? When I have free listings, I always start close to where I expect it to be.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
Seems like a great opportunity for many to try out Home Page - Collector Revolution. No fees under $5 and max 5% fee on all sales. I've been selling a bunch over there and traffic is really picking up.
if only the traffic grows, people have said this about other places too, and I 100% support them but they will need time and advertising and traffic, and non-card traffic too which does help many times with mainstream media items in card act like Strasburg, Harper, Rally Squirrel

I hope these places only grow but then often their costs/fees increase as well
(for a site like CR, and right now there are like 40 Topps heritage listings and they are at higher prices than eBay are....or for COMC, they can't get new products listed at release...so while these other sites are good and will grow they each work differently and can fill gaps that ebay may have or may soon have...that is cool, but if doing volume it is not easy to keep up with so many sites and emails and inventory etc, right now ebay is the main setup, but maybe not always)

eBay is still best option just stinks to see such a huge rate increase for some, BUT for those that don't rip/flip and take time to sell, fixed priced on many items is better now, so it balances for those folks, just kills auctions which is what made ebay 'ebay' to being with
Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
I'm confused. Wouldn't lowering the listing fee make people start at a higher price? When I have free listings, I always start close to where I expect it to be.
that is what I just said
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:

Sorry, but I interpreted this as saying listings were 10 cents and moved to 25 cents.

Did I miss something?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry, but I interpreted this as saying listings were 10 cents and moved to 25 cents.

Did I miss something?
the listing fee is moved down for any items $10 and above as it is now a flat fee regardless of starting point
And hence why moving it UP from 10 cents helps encourage higher priced listings instead of 99 cents as if you list at 99 cents you lose much of that to listing fee, but less as you price higher, and also no penalty for listing higher now

hopefully that better explains it
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
the listing fee is moved down for any items $10 and above as it is now a flat fee regardless of starting point
And hence why moving it UP from 10 cents helps encourage higher priced listings instead of 99 cents as if you list at 99 cents you lose much of that to listing fee, but less as you price higher, and also no penalty for listing higher now

hopefully that better explains it
Actually, that was a question I had that I didn't feel was clear. So all auctions are now $.25 and you can list "free" at any starting price. That helps a bit. Should be interesting but again, they just keep giving us nickels and dimes and taking away the quarters I guess.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, that was a question I had that I didn't feel was clear. So all auctions are now $.25 and you can list "free" at any starting price. That helps a bit. Should be interesting but again, they just keep giving us nickels and dimes and taking away the quarters I guess.
yes, correct
it does help on starting prices above $10
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah but the BIN free listing fee makes it possible to post .99 and 1.99 cards without taking a major loss on the front end. I honestly don't think you will see an influx of higher listings as ebay had the free Auction/BIN combo already going.
Jim's cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's cards View Post
Yeah but the BIN free listing fee makes it possible to post .99 and 1.99 cards without taking a major loss on the front end. I honestly don't think you will see an influx of higher listings as ebay had the free Auction/BIN combo already going.
yes, if you don't have a store
but if you have a store you are paying a monthly sub for the free listing AND still paying for the BIN fee while paying more % for the sell
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #61 (permalink)

Looks like I'm late to this party, but I was up last night running simulations on the new fees and nearly every simulation I ran, both high and low end card sales, resulted in a fee increase. This talk that low-end sellers are getting a break is nonsense. I've run the numbers every which way and I don't see ANY decrease in overall fees if you are a seller who does more than 150 sales per month. Yes, there is a small decrease in overall fees for items $6.50 and under, but once a basic store owner crosses 150 sales, the insertion fees double and will more than eat away whatever you saved early on.

In other words, the ONLY card sellers who benefit here are those that sell cards for 0.99-$6.50 and sell less than 150 cards per month. If that doesn't sound like you, then you are seeing an increase. The fact that the AP ran with this story in a positive manner tells you the lack of independent research done on their end before making eBay look like God.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
Seems like a great opportunity for many to try out Home Page - Collector Revolution. No fees under $5 and max 5% fee on all sales. I've been selling a bunch over there and traffic is really picking up.
Seems like a great site. Will check into it more very soon when I get home!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
In other words, the ONLY card sellers who benefit here are those that sell cards for 0.99-$6.50 and sell less than 150 cards per month. If that doesn't sound like you, then you are seeing an increase. The fact that the AP ran with this story in a positive manner tells you the lack of independent research done on their end before making eBay look like God.

Not necessarily true. I am a current basic store subscriber running all of my listings as fixed price. My final value fees will be going down on anything I sell that is about $80 or under (which is the vast majority of my listings), I will save up to $30 per month in listing fees, and my 151st+ listing each month is staying exactly the same.

The only fee increases I'll see are on higher dollar items, but my overall savings per year will likely be at least $300... enough to offset the cost of my store subscription with $100+ savings leftover.

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but these fee changes look like they were designed to save me money!

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Not necessarily true. I am a current basic store subscriber running all of my listings as fixed price. My final value fees will be going down on anything I sell that is about $80 or under (which is the vast majority of my listings), I will save up to $30 per month in listing fees, and my 151st+ listing each month is staying exactly the same.

The only fee increases I'll see are on higher dollar items, but my overall savings per year will likely be at least $300... enough to offset the cost of my store subscription with $100+ savings leftover.

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but these fee changes look like they were designed to save me money!
Ah I see. I was running auction numbers. Fair enough. If a seller is running a traditional fixed-price listing store with no auctions, then yes I can see where money is being saved, but those of us running traditional auctions are all getting huge increases. You are probably in the minority because you were willing to be patient and sell cards in a store despite higher fees (you do pay a lot more fees for fixed price than auction as of today), whereas most card sellers are trying to make quick auction money. Now, it appears auctions and foxed price listings will be relatively equal, albeit a huge increase for auctions.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #65 (permalink)

I may have the perfect store model going into this.

Been selling inserts & parallels at $2.93-$5.95 with free shipping. I have a feeling ebay is going to hate me & this model is going to catch on very well. I put up little to no auctions & sell about 60-75 items a month from my store.

I may actually be one of the few saving money and it might be worthwhile my time listing a few $3.95 base lots soon to push towards my free listing quota.