Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,076
Default Ebay apparently lowering fees for some sales

Interesting changes coming for store subscribers starting May 1.

- a certain amount of free auction or fixed price listings every month depending on store level (500 for premium level)

Monthly store subscription costs are going up - unless you pay for a full year in advance, which most will want to do.

- 9% flat FVF on closing amount and shipping.

BUT (of course) the huge catch - tier system of discounted FVF levels > $50 is being eliminated. The 9% will be flat for the whole amount as it is currently for non-store sellers.

This equates to FVF fee reduction for cheap items, but a (potentially very large) FVF increase for expensive items.

It's a great trade off for me as I deal primarily in cheap crap, but I can see some wax sellers not being happy.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Skipscards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Interesting changes coming for store subscribers starting May 1.

- a certain amount of free auction or fixed price listings every month depending on store level (500 for premium level)

Monthly store subscription costs are going up - unless you pay for a full year in advance, which most will want to do.

- 9% flat FVF on closing amount and shipping.

BUT (of course) the huge catch - tier system of discounted FVF levels > $50 is being eliminated. The 9% will be flat for the whole amount as it is currently for non-store sellers.

This equates to FVF fee reduction for cheap items, but a (potentially very large) FVF increase for expensive items.

It's a great trade off for me as I deal primarily in cheap crap, but I can see some wax sellers not being happy.
No kidding. Especially considering Wax and Set Sellers get creamed on shipping.
__________________
Finally became sentient on Twitter @SkipsCards

Always looking for interesting George Brett cards and currently working to acquire all possible Baseball Hall of Fame autos. (58% complete!)
Skipscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,076
Default

Here's their old/new fee calculator

eBay.com : Fee Calculator

Looks like the break even works out to about $82. Everything sold for more than that will see a fee increase.

Fees for a $1000 case (no top rated discount) go from $62.55 to $90
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
HadWayTooMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,184
Default

Am I seeing it correctly that fixed price listings on a premium store jump from 5 cents to 10 cents and anchor listings jump from 3 cents to 5 cents?

Also, is it a flat listing price of 10 cents to 15 cents instead of going up depending on the price of the item? I'm a bit confused.

What if I take an anchor store and my listings renew on the first of the month. Will it eat up all of my free listings so I don't get free auction listings?

It's very unclear to me.

eBay Seller Information Center: 2013 Spring Seller Update: Fee update
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
bigsmoot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 5,060
Default

For non store, here are some of the new things coming in April:

*50 free listings per month, auction AND fixed price
*Flat FVF fee of 10%, so 8% for Top Rated
*Sounds like they are knocking down the Unpaid item 2 days (that was unclear, hopefully now 6 is the minimum as opposed to 8)
*BINs that are hit will still stay for sale until the item is paid for (although if you use Immediate Payment on BIN) not sure how that does any good

A slight hike in FVFs on more expensive stuff over $80 or so, and a slight break on FVF for BIN/BO on cheaper stuff under $80 or so.
__________________
FAN OF: CHICAGO CUBS & DENVER BRONCOS
bigsmoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Am I seeing it correctly that fixed price listings on a premium store jump from 5 cents to 10 cents and anchor listings jump from 3 cents to 5 cents?



that's for additional listings if you use up your free ones. premium store gets 500 free listings monthly, anchor 2500.


eBay Seller Information Center: 2013 Spring Seller Update: Fee update
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,076
Default

it certainly looks like there is no tier system for starting price on auction listings after free listings are used up. Just says 10/15 cents.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
HadWayTooMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
that's for additional listings if you use up your free ones. premium store gets 500 free listings monthly, anchor 2500.


eBay Seller Information Center: 2013 Spring Seller Update: Fee update
Right. So now the additional listings have gone up from 5 cents to 10 cents.

How about the auctions? Are they a flat rate now no matter how much the opening bid is?

I actually like these changes. I don't mind paying a bit extra if I sell something if I pay less listing it considering how many items don't sell.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,076
Default

Fees on a card that is bid to $1000 in an auction go from $41.85 to $90. Yikes for superfractor sellers.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
HadWayTooMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 4,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Fees on a card that is bid to $1000 in an auction go from $41.85 to $90. Yikes for superfractor sellers.
Quote of the year trying to justify the flat rate:

"For most of our sellers the complexity of our fees were keeping them from being on eBay and preventing them from having full transparency into their profitability from selling on eBay," said Michael Jones, vice president of merchant development.

That being said, most of my sales are $1-$10 so I'm okay with it.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
texgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,340
Default

The 50 free BINBO listings a month for non-store owners is awesome. I know I'll be listing a lot more.
__________________
Collecting Texas Rangers - Alexi Ogando, Derek Holland, Leonys Martin, Ian Kinsler - LMK what you have!!
texgator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cbus, OH
Posts: 183
Default

Looks good to me.

I was paying more than 9% for my store listings so this should help out.


The effect on COMC will be interesting as people will prolly do some extra leg work to save 11% to cashout by buying cards then selling them on ebay.
decabo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 116
Default

I do like that they dropped the fixed price listing to .30 vs .50 for non stores

and really like this change:

"The listing scheduler that allows you to set the time your listings will start and end as much as three weeks in advance will be free for sellers paying standard fees."

So you can set up auctions for day you want to list with no extra cost. This is much more convenient for me at times then setting up and maintaining turbolister. I usually miss the window for when I want to get stuff listed at auction.

I had a basic store to reduce my fixed price listing. I can now eliminate that need as .30 is close to the .20 I pay now.
Olerudfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
basezloaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Corinth, Maine
Posts: 518
Default

For those with 2,500+ listings, it looks like you're pretty much forced into an Anchor Store subscription. At first glance, it looks like a wash for me personally, but I'll certainly be comparing May and June net figures to prior periods.

My scenario (5,000+ listings):

49.95 = my premium store subscription
125.00 = .05 x my first 2,500 items
-------
174.95 = current cost (first 2,500 items)
199.95 = future anchor store subscription (first 2,500 items)
-------
25.00 = increased monthly cost to list first 2,500 items
60.00 = FVF monthly savings ($3,000 avg mo. x 2% FVF differential - I sell mostly low end)
-------
35.00 = potential savings (we'll see).

That's my quick read of it.

Last edited by basezloaded; 03-19-2013 at 03:04 PM.
basezloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cbus, OH
Posts: 183
Default

ebay looks to grab a lot of amazons business.


http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s...on-compare.pdf
decabo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 17,613
Default

And if this goes through expect an increase in Paypal fees as well...

EBay hit as "gloves come off" over PayPal digital wallet fee
__________________
Thin skinned megalomaniacs shouldn't post on message boards.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
mr_yoshi_san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,744
Default

never applied for the basic store however is it worth it? How much of a savings do we get if its for sports cards? $15.95 a month means $191 for the whole year. i pay around $200 in ebay fees a month with non store account. Any help would be great!
__________________
mr_yoshi_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
xbignick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,297
Default

I like this news:
"Starting in May, most fixed price and Auction-style listings purchased with Buy It Now will continue to be available for sale until a buyer pays."
__________________
@xxbignick on twitter!
Prices in my threads only valid 1-hour post-bump unless noted.
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
vwnut13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
I like this news:
"Starting in May, most fixed price and Auction-style listings purchased with Buy It Now will continue to be available for sale until a buyer pays."
So in other words, they will require instant payment. lol
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
xbignick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoot2 View Post
For non store, here are some of the new things coming in April:

*50 free listings per month, auction AND fixed price
*Flat FVF fee of 10%, so 8% for Top Rated
*Sounds like they are knocking down the Unpaid item 2 days (that was unclear, hopefully now 6 is the minimum as opposed to 8)
*BINs that are hit will still stay for sale until the item is paid for (although if you use Immediate Payment on BIN) not sure how that does any good

A slight hike in FVFs on more expensive stuff over $80 or so, and a slight break on FVF for BIN/BO on cheaper stuff under $80 or so.
I tried using that but wouldn't allow me too. I think it had to do with me only accepting paypal or not having a store. So as a small seller I like the news - gets annoying for me when they offer, I accept, and they take a week to pay.
__________________
@xxbignick on twitter!
Prices in my threads only valid 1-hour post-bump unless noted.
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 165
Default

The fixed price changes and store subscription changes seem ok.

But auction style FVF for store subscribers is going up quite a bit.
From 7.5% (4% above $50) to a flat 9%. Ouch!
Hf32jkm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yoshi_san View Post
never applied for the basic store however is it worth it? How much of a savings do we get if its for sports cards? $15.95 a month means $191 for the whole year. i pay around $200 in ebay fees a month with non store account. Any help would be great!
Try this:
eBay: Fee Illustrator

You're probably best going to a store no matter how many listings you're doing if you're going to keep up the same volume over the year. Play around with how your selling patterns will change with the above & be realistic (major problem of mine...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hf32jkm5 View Post
The fixed price changes and store subscription changes seem ok.

But auction style FVF for store subscribers is going up quite a bit.
From 7.5% (4% above $50) to a flat 9%. Ouch!
The FVF for store auctions really hurts IMO. That's major ouch time.
__________________
I currently only trade for Chipper Jones.
Collecting: Chipper Jones, Coby Fleener, Stanford Football, 2012 Allen & Ginter Federer
"Teams": Stanford Football, Braves, 49ers, SF Giants, Roger Federer
card_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #23 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 17,613
Default

Brentandbecca paid $28K+ in fees last year to Ebay.
Using the new system their fees would be $40K

So I wonder how much of a raise the CEO will get seeing he made $29 million last year.
__________________
Thin skinned megalomaniacs shouldn't post on message boards.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Qwasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 9,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Brentandbecca paid $28K+ in fees last year to Ebay.
Using the new system their fees would be $40K

So I wonder how much of a raise the CEO will get seeing he made $29 million last year.
I'd say this would put them out of the game of breaking, atleast if it was me it would. I mean? 10-12k is probably the profit margin on sports cards? it's a very fine line on what ebay can really do with sports cards, they are stretching sellers to the limit of whats possible already, most people lose money, so if the fee's go up you'll see several people quit i'm sure. giving an extra 12k a year to break cards just isn't do'able for most. you have to really love it to keep going at that rate.
__________________
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Brentandbecca paid $28K+ in fees last year to Ebay.
Using the new system their fees would be $40K

So I wonder how much of a raise the CEO will get seeing he made $29 million last year.

kind of odd that they are screwing bigger sellers and helping the little guy. kind of the opposite of their recent trends.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.