Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I sent a National Treasures card for replacement today...

Not sure how this will end up, and I was wondering if others had experience getting things replaced by Panini.

I bought a box of NT earlier in the month, and the biggest hit was a Ted Williams 2-color GU swatch, #'d/9. I took the cards to the LCS to get holders, and while doing so the guy helping me noticed some small scuffing and a tiny foil stamp notch on the front of the card. Both are small, but once you see them you can't help but see them every time.

So I decided to go ahead and send it in, hoping that Panini will be able to replace the card. I've read that people had good customer service experiences with Panini, so I'm hoping that it all works out. I hated to send back that card; I have no connection to the Red Sox or Willams, but it was such a cool card to pull.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

and people wonder why card company customer service is so bad
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

enjoy you contenders archie bradley

If you're not paying ebay prices, I'll sell my cards on eBay. Thanks
gunshowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I feel like this falls under the "Card isn't gem mint, so it must be damaged" category. I hope they send it back to you saying it meets factory standards, because it sounds like it does.

There is zero chance I would have sent that back. Small scuffing is going to happen sometimes, and I'm willing to bet the hardly noticeable damage would take away from the overall value of the card.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I've got to agree, not something I would have sent in as it seems minor. Good luck with whatever happens though.
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

If all cards came out of a product a perfect 10, than high BGS grades wouldn't be valuable.
Cubs_rock21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportCardBuffet View Post
I've got to agree, not something I would have sent in as it seems minor. Good luck with whatever happens though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
I feel like this falls under the "Card isn't gem mint, so it must be damaged" category. I hope they send it back to you saying it meets factory standards, because it sounds like it does.

There is zero chance I would have sent that back. Small scuffing is going to happen sometimes, and I'm willing to bet the hardly noticeable damage would take away from the overall value of the card.
All I can say is that when the LCS guy saw the card, he immediately saw the scuffing and the notch and pointed them out to me.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephland View Post
All I can say is that when the LCS guy saw the card, he immediately saw the scuffing and the notch and pointed them out to me.
If you didn't notice them before hand then perhaps they weren't too noticeable at all. But I do understand what you mean about them now being unseeable.
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Good for him. Still irrelevant. Hopefully you get your card back. But I can assure you if you dont you will be wishing you didnt send it in.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

yeah I think I'd rather have a mildly damaged Ted Williams relic card over not getting it back at all
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
Good for him. Still irrelevant. Hopefully you get your card back. But I can assure you if you dont you will be wishing you didnt send it in.
so you mean the lcs guy saw that and told you he wouldn't pay your asking price because the card wasn't gem mint?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
yeah I think I'd rather have a mildly damaged Ted Williams relic card over not getting it back at all
Like I said, I don't have a Red Sox/Williams connection, so chances are I wasn't going to add it to my personal collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout View Post
so you mean the lcs guy saw that and told you he wouldn't pay your asking price because the card wasn't gem mint?
I was there to get card holders, nothing more. I didn't offer to sell any of the cards.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout View Post
LOL...this was my thought. "Man, I'd give you $500 for this card in a heartbeat but WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT, there's a small scuff here. Baaaaaaah....looks like I can only offer $10."
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's just too funny.
Game used cards also get a ton of slack on grading. Seen plenty with bulging and little creases all around patch areas still get 9.5 gem mint grades.

It just has to suck working cs with these companies with all the stupid stuff collectors do and all scams trying to be worked in this hobby.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
It's just too funny.
Game used cards also get a ton of slack on grading. Seen plenty with bulging and little creases all around patch areas still get 9.5 gem mint grades.

It just has to suck working cs with these companies with all the stupid stuff collectors do and all scams trying to be worked in this hobby.
You've been a tremendous help, thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
You've been a tremendous help, thanks.
Which lcs did you go to?
jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
Which lcs did you go to?
the only local one, Bankstons.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

The people that open your letter up are going to have a good laugh
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Definitely don't want to hijack/takeover your thread, so I apologize in advance Ephland, but being that my problem is very similar and advice I receive may also be relevant to you, I hope you don't mind me posting this here.

Long story short, I pulled a Yasmani Grandal Patch Auto 1/1 from a tin of Treasures. Unfortunately next to the patch was a significant spot where the top few layers of the card had been peeled back/up. I'm wondering if it's enough damage to warrant a replacement? Being a 1/1 I don't know how to handle it, I think it's worthy of a replacement because obviously the damage does significant impact to the value of the card and the tin, but I'm not sure how my line of thinking is there?

Would love other opinions and advice on how to handle the situation.

* the pictures were tough to show the damage on, it looks more significant in person, but I think it's visible enough to make a decision.

Thanks in advance guys
Uraclassact8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendrix1303 View Post
The people that open your letter up are going to have a good laugh
Yes, I wrote them a letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uraclassact8855 View Post
Definitely don't want to hijack/takeover your thread, so I apologize in advance Ephland, but being that my problem is very similar and advice I receive may also be relevant to you, I hope you don't mind me posting this here.....
No worries, man. Hopefully the comedians take a back seat and you get some legitimately helpful advice. For what it's worth, according to the info on Panini's website, when it comes to numbered cards they say that they will create a new version of the card and destroy the one you send in. That's what I'm hoping they do in my case, although given the age/source of the relic, may not be possible.

For yours, since it's an active player, they shouldn't have too much trouble getting another relic swatch and autograph.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
For yours, since it's an active player, they shouldn't have too much trouble getting another relic swatch and autograph.
They won't likely reprint a 1/1.
alifaxwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ephland-

Here's my advice- just accept things as they are when they come out of a pack. If you want to resell the card, make sure the potential buyer knows about all possible blemishes if it worries you that much. I bet the vast majority of collectors who would win that card on ebay wouldn't even think twice about the imperfection- most collectors accept a certain degree of imperfection- it's ok.

This isn't a gem mint world.

just take it as it is next time, enjoy the hobby, don't be a nit-picker and stress yourself and everyone else out. Find a buyer that doesn't care if it is gem mint or not- there are plenty out there.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

I can't tell you how bad a Ted Williams card would have to be jacked for me to send it in to be replaced.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Ephland-

Here's my advice- just accept things as they are when they come out of a pack. If you want to resell the card, make sure the potential buyer knows about all possible blemishes if it worries you that much. I bet the vast majority of collectors who would win that card on ebay wouldn't even think twice about the imperfection- most collectors accept a certain degree of imperfection- it's ok.

This isn't a gem mint world.

just take it as it is next time, enjoy the hobby, don't be a nit-picker and stress yourself and everyone else out. Find a buyer that doesn't care if it is gem mint or not- there are plenty out there.
I think it's absurd that the OP sent the card back........ BUT the above statement just
isn't true. With all of the flippers on this board interested in nothing but profit, I've had a TON of "interested parties" here basically want me to guarantee that a card will come back a gem mint and suddenly are no longer interested when I divulge that the card is NM-Mt, as reflected by my asking price. However, I do think the crowd that would be interested in a Ted Williams GUd card would be a bit more understanding

America is clearly wheezing its last ethical gasps.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Good ole Bankstons, those 3 magic / Star Wars geeks couldn't fill up a team bag if they combined their hobby knowledge.