Blowout Cards Forums
Shop for NFL Draft Class of 2014 Nike Jerseys and New Era Draft Caps at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #1001 (permalink)
Member
 
premium1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
I'd fight you to the death on this one. There is no way, this hobby is gaining in popularity. I think you're seeing the current generation investing more / not a new generation of collectors.
The hobby may not be growing, but the prospecting game absolutely is. I have been doing this for awhile, and there is zero doubt in my mind that it is growing. You make the claim that more and more people are ripping and flipping which will flood the market, and at the same time you say that there is no increase in the prospecting game. I hope you have 9 lives, because if you fight to the death over this one you may lose one.
__________________
<-----Great deals to be found on my COMC!
premium1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #1002 (permalink)
Member
 
bigsmoot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 5,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
True to a certain extent, but when Buxton is promoted and there's 400 active eBay listings of his chrome autos ... it will be hard to keep prices high. Potential buyers will already own his autos, so then who's left to buy?
That's why someone may sell part of their stash during a hot streak in the minors.

There are other times to sell and make money, not just at callup.
__________________
FAN OF: CHICAGO CUBS & DENVER BRONCOS
bigsmoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #1003 (permalink)
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Well sure there will be cases where the two color autos will be Tyler Pike and Jake Odorizzi, but there will also be cases where you could get a Manny Machado Blue and a Taijuan Walker Gold. When it comes to color autos, everyone has an equal chance.
Very true. That would be a great case / depending on the base autos and the rest of it you'd likely come out ahead.

But not even at the current $1,2000 price-tag (although many are in for much much less than that)
__________________
If you need a quick pick me up - Wax Fang - The Majestic
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #1004 (permalink)
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoot2 View Post
That's why someone may sell part of their stash during a hot streak in the minors.

There are other times to sell and make money, not just at callup.
And I'm saying at all of those times, the market is flooded. There won't be any point in time where there's less than 30 Buxton base autos available on eBay if the print run is this high ... and that will keep prices down no matter how well the kid is doing.
__________________
If you need a quick pick me up - Wax Fang - The Majestic
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #1005 (permalink)
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
The hobby may not be growing, but the prospecting game absolutely is. I have been doing this for awhile, and there is zero doubt in my mind that it is growing. You make the claim that more and more people are ripping and flipping which will flood the market, and at the same time you say that there is no increase in the prospecting game. I hope you have 9 lives, because if you fight to the death over this one you may lose one.
Heh, we'll lets just see how this shakes out. If on June 8th one month after release we're looking at high prices, I'll come back in here and declare my incompetence to understand this stuff.

I think many use a system to determine color value? Blue is 3x base I believe ... but for 2013 Bowman, I think Blue will be 5-7x base as a result of production.
__________________
If you need a quick pick me up - Wax Fang - The Majestic
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #1006 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 12,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Very true. That would be a great case / depending on the base autos and the rest of it you'd likely come out ahead.

But not even at the current $1,2000 price-tag (although many are in for much much less than that)
I agree, anyone that is in for more than 1050 is probably asking for it, unless the minis do even better than I think they will already do.

I'm in for an average of 875 for all 4 of my cases. So hopefully I hit a couple good ones.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,004 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #1007 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 12,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Heh, we'll lets just see how this shakes out. If on June 8th one month after release we're looking at high prices, I'll come back in here and declare my incompetence to understand this stuff.

I think many use a system to determine color value? Blue is 3x base I believe ... but for 2013 Bowman, I think Blue will be 5-7x base as a result of production.
Also may be true, but at release, I don't think any of this happens. For those ripping and flipping (such as myself) People won't notice these trends until after we have sold off all of our stuff.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,004 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #1008 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
I'd fight you to the death on this one. There is no way, this hobby is gaining in popularity. I think you're seeing the current generation investing more / not a new generation of collectors.
That's okay too. If 10 guys spend $10,000 each that's the same as 100 guys spending $100 each. Growth is growth. When the American economy goes up it's not due to population increases, it's due to the current population spending more money. It's a good parallel. Maybe the "card" economy is just good now even if physical numbers of collectors aren't necessarily growing. There is no doubt though that revenue and sales have gone up each year for Topps since 2010. Someone is buying.
__________________
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER FOR CASE BREAK RESULTS, PROFIT/LOSS REPORTS, AND GENERAL INSIGHT INTO THE SPORTS CARD INDUSTRY: http://www.twitter.com/auctionjmm
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #1009 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
No no, I assume the positive. A higher print run will make the color autos more valuable / more sought after because there's a finite number of them. To me, that's the only positive here though / I see Bowman '13 flopping and thus turning people away from future releases (partly because the sour taste, partly because the money lost)

But I think you raise a good point / although I'm gonna twist it. I would absolutely love for the prospecting market to increase year in and year out but I think it's headed in the opposite direction.

IMHO, every new year brings LESS collectors (and less prospectors) to the table and thus printing more will not satisfy this demand. To me, the demands is already satisfied, and now will be over saturated.
It isn't a matter of print run IMO. Tavares is the most expensive auto from 2012 Bowman. Unlike Bell, JBJ, Cole, Xander, and a few others, his base wasn't tiered/SPed. If print run was the overwhelming factor you seem to think it is, guys like JBJ and Xander would be more expensive than Tavares.
__________________
Those who can, do. Those who can't resort to calling other people trolls.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #1010 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Heh, we'll lets just see how this shakes out. If on June 8th one month after release we're looking at high prices, I'll come back in here and declare my incompetence to understand this stuff.

I think many use a system to determine color value? Blue is 3x base I believe ... but for 2013 Bowman, I think Blue will be 5-7x base as a result of production.
i have a question for you, how many cases do you have coming?
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #1011 (permalink)
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
It isn't a matter of print run IMO. Tavares is the most expensive auto from 2012 Bowman. Unlike Bell, JBJ, Cole, Xander, and a few others, his base wasn't tiered/SPed. If print run was the overwhelming factor you seem to think it is, guys like JBJ and Xander would be more expensive than Tavares.
No sir ... I think Taveras would be more expensive if he we're tiered. (And if there wasn't one guy who owns so many that there aren't as many readily available)

The man has been compared to Albert Pujols and doesn't strike out. I feel he deserves to have his current value, and if he we're SP'ed, you'd see $200 autos ...
__________________
If you need a quick pick me up - Wax Fang - The Majestic
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #1012 (permalink)
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
i have a question for you, how many cases do you have coming?
Zero Festus. Initially, I wasn't buying because I didn't feel the base value was good enough to make a profit (RC's like Harper, Darvish, Cespedes add great value you can't find in Bowman '13). For me, there's more value in base than in autos when breaking large quantities.

Bowman is a set I'd likely never break, and the print run of this year seals that IMHO.
__________________
If you need a quick pick me up - Wax Fang - The Majestic
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #1013 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 452
Default

As someone pointed out, the purported odds are about the same as two years ago. So there may be a higher print run than last year? Bfd. 2011 base and autos are still worth some greenbacks. The marketplace will adjust to whatever the print run is and there will still be plenty of room for people to make money if they buy and sell the right guys at the right time. All the comments speculating that the market will be saturated or that base will be virtually worthless are enormous exaggerations in my opinion.
kyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #1014 (permalink)
Member
 
premium1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Bowman is a set I'd likely never break, and the print run of this year seals that IMHO.
Thats a shame. You are missing out if you skip it every year. I actually have ended up with better results from Bowman than I have from Draft every year but 1. Maybe I have just been lucky. Or did you skip it because you have no more room in your house for cards? I'm sure with all of the people you bought base from out of draft you must be stacked to the ceiling.
__________________
<-----Great deals to be found on my COMC!
premium1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #1015 (permalink)
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
Thats a shame. You are missing out if you skip it every year. I actually have ended up with better results from Bowman than I have from Draft every year but 1. Maybe I have just been lucky. Or did you skip it because you have no more room in your house for cards? I'm sure with all of the people you bought base from out of draft you must be stacked to the ceiling.
The numbers just don't add up for me with Bowman. Too many cards, too much veteran paper / I have trouble finding the value.

But hey, that's good news for other breakers! Less competition!
__________________
If you need a quick pick me up - Wax Fang - The Majestic
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #1016 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
No sir ... I think Taveras would be more expensive if he we're tiered. (And if there wasn't one guy who owns so many that there aren't as many readily available)

The man has been compared to Albert Pujols and doesn't strike out. I feel he deserves to have his current value, and if he we're SP'ed, you'd see $200 autos ...
He would absolutely be more expensive if he were tiered. However, the fact that he's the most expensive card in the set despite having a significantly higher print run than other top prospects in the set demonstrates that talent/hype fuel the prices much more than print run. As others pointed out above, the top guys will command top dollar regardless of print run.
__________________
Those who can, do. Those who can't resort to calling other people trolls.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #1017 (permalink)
Member
 
arod305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,673
Default

It looks like the bowman prospect challenge codes will be in 2013 bowman as well. Should these unlock bluewave packs as well?
__________________
Fine with paying Ebay Avg. Prices. Only buy off evidence, can't deny #s. Please don't waste my time with prices you "need" or makeup if its 150% Over Ebay.
arod305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #1018 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 12,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod305 View Post
It looks like the bowman prospect challenge codes will be in 2013 bowman as well. Should these unlock bluewave packs as well?
Yes, they will unlock 2012 Draft Blue Wave packs.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,004 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #1019 (permalink)
Member
 
bigsmoot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 5,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
He would absolutely be more expensive if he were tiered. However, the fact that he's the most expensive card in the set despite having a significantly higher print run than other top prospects in the set demonstrates that talent/hype fuel the prices much more than print run. As others pointed out above, the top guys will command top dollar regardless of print run.
Couldn't agree more.

Hype/talent/team you play for are more important than print run of a base auto. Only talking about first chrome auto/base cards, not other stuff like Sterling, Platinum, etc.
__________________
FAN OF: CHICAGO CUBS & DENVER BRONCOS
bigsmoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #1020 (permalink)
Member
 
711 Cards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Very true. That would be a great case / depending on the base autos and the rest of it you'd likely come out ahead.

But not even at the current $1,2000 price-tag (although many are in for much much less than that)
Several jumbo cases have sold for $1000-$1100 recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Zero Festus. Initially, I wasn't buying because I didn't feel the base value was good enough to make a profit (RC's like Harper, Darvish, Cespedes add great value you can't find in Bowman '13). For me, there's more value in base than in autos when breaking large quantities.

Bowman is a set I'd likely never break, and the print run of this year seals that IMHO.
This years rookie class does not have the Harper/Darvish headliners but is much deeper then last year. Bundy, Machado, Ruf, Eaton, Cingrani, Olt, Shelby Miller, Profar, Garcia, Skaggs, Ryu, etc...is a damn good class.
__________________
Looking for Jose Peraza, Aaron Judge, & Victor Roache chrome Autos
711 Cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #1021 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 12,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Zero Festus. Initially, I wasn't buying because I didn't feel the base value was good enough to make a profit (RC's like Harper, Darvish, Cespedes add great value you can't find in Bowman '13). For me, there's more value in base than in autos when breaking large quantities.

Bowman is a set I'd likely never break, and the print run of this year seals that IMHO.
True, there is no Harper/Darvish in this class, but there are plenty of people that will outsell Cespedes.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,004 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #1022 (permalink)
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
True, there is no Harper/Darvish in this class, but there are plenty of people that will outsell Cespedes.
Not on a base card level. Not talking about autos here ... base RC cards.

I can move Cespedes paper at .50 per. There won't be a single RC in this class that sells for half that / partly because these aren't true RC's like Harper, Darvish Cespedes. None of these guys have made an impact in the game yet ...
__________________
If you need a quick pick me up - Wax Fang - The Majestic
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #1023 (permalink)
Member
 
711 Cards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Not on a base card level. Not talking about autos here ... base RC cards.

I can move Cespedes paper at .50 per. There won't be a single RC in this class that sells for half that / partly because these aren't true RC's like Harper, Darvish Cespedes. None of these guys have made an impact in the game yet ...
Uh Cingrani?
__________________
Looking for Jose Peraza, Aaron Judge, & Victor Roache chrome Autos
711 Cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #1024 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 12,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Not on a base card level. Not talking about autos here ... base RC cards.

I can move Cespedes paper at .50 per. There won't be a single RC in this class that sells for half that / partly because these aren't true RC's like Harper, Darvish Cespedes. None of these guys have made an impact in the game yet ...
I would say Ryu, Machado and Cingrani all have a decent chance at .50 per.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,004 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #1025 (permalink)
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
I would say Ryu, Machado and Cingrani all have a decent chance at .50 per.
Ryu would be the best shot / but Cingrani is going back to AAA on Saturday / almost guaranteed (after his start against Milwaukee).

He was going back after his start today but Cueto bought him one more. Tony not pitching well today either so that's not gonna help the immediate RC value. (well, not pitching well to just one batter, but 4RBI for Soriano)
__________________
If you need a quick pick me up - Wax Fang - The Majestic
NeedChapmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/476683-rolling-2013-bowman-autograph-checklist-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
Baseball Cards: What's Byron Buxton Worth? This thread Refback 05-27-2013 03:24 PM
Baseball Cards: What's Byron Buxton Worth? This thread Refback 05-13-2013 01:50 PM
2013 Bowman Baseball Checklist This thread Refback 05-06-2013 01:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.