Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 90's inserts or non auto color..WHICH WOULD YOU GIVE UP?

So I was doing some number crunching today and came to the conclusion that I would have to stop collecting One of my collections if I want to continue to collect the way I want to which is a lot and often. I collect Jeter 90's inserts and Jeter Ichiro modern day Color(refractors and variations with no auto). So I ask your opinion, since I love both, which would you keep collecting, and why??? THANKS!!!
Mid 90's inserts like this???...OR....Modern day Color like this...

Last edited by JohnnysBench; 03-19-2013 at 09:26 PM.
JohnnysBench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would give up modern day color. That's a no brainer in my opinion.

Last edited by cubs4life; 03-19-2013 at 08:35 PM.
cubs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Would you rather have a unique, one-of-a-kind insert or a colorful card that there are hundreds a like of, produced year after year?
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Give up the modern stuff. I think 90's inserts are VERY undervalued right now. Well, certain 90's inserts.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, the 90's inserts are amazing, but there's only so many and new stuff won't come out. As for the modern color, new stuff comes out atleast every year. In the end I'd stick to 90's though,
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

To be honest this is the way I was leaning the entire time. The mid 90's inserts are rare, highly collectible, and gorgeous. I just love NON AUTO COLOR so much, I was almost hoping someone would have said something I hadnt thought of...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Keep doing both. Collecting is not a race. Just add what you like when you can.
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmag70 View Post
This.

Just buy the modern stuff from the prior years and stay away from buying it when it comes out.

Always looking for interesting George Brett cards and currently working to acquire all possible Baseball Hall of Fame autos. (59% complete!)
Skipscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

If I had to choose.... and as weird as it sounds.... I wouldnt be afraid of the modern stuff.... 8 years ago, people were clamoring how common 90's stuff was and it will always be worthless.... todays stuff is 10-15x rarer across the board as 90's equivalent... wonder what people will be doing 15 years from now?
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinocollector View Post
If I had to choose.... and as weird as it sounds.... I wouldnt be afraid of the modern stuff.... 8 years ago, people were clamoring how common 90's stuff was and it will always be worthless.... todays stuff is 10-15x rarer across the board as 90's equivalent... wonder what people will be doing 15 years from now?
See, to me, the fake scarcity of today's parallel/numbering game is going to die a painful death at some point. For non-autos anyway. People will realize that the blue and the purple and the red and the gold are actually THE SAME CARD.

Now with an auto I can understand a little, if it is an on-card auto.

I sold a 2012 Sterling Bryce Harper black parallel numbered /50 for $55. This, to me, is f*cking crazy.
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmag70 View Post
I think this says it best.

Pick a collection that is your focal point, and then set price points for cetain items that might pop up from the other side of your collection. I think it makes sense to stick to collecting whatever is more rare. It's more exciting to find items that don't become available often.

Orioles Bowman Chrome color is almost all I buy at this point. I'm working on moving everything else in my collection except for select items. I feel like the serialing #ing alone will help hold some sort of value over the long run, even though investing isn't the main purpose of most of what I buy (of course EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE).

I focus is the prospects and RC's. The Vets I only pick up if the price is right. Looking back at the Bowman Chrome from 2006-current, the Orange, Gold, Blue of the Vets don't seem to hold much value, so I hold off until i find what I think is good price on those. Reds/Supers, for those sometimes you just have to suck it up and pay what's being asked.

If I can pick up other low #d Orioles autos, jersey cards, or cards I really like, I'll buy them from time to time, but at this point it has to be a card I really love, b/c if not I feel like I'm spending money that should be put towards my next superfractor.

Check out my group breaks!
speedmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to JohnRyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post
See, to me, the fake scarcity of today's parallel/numbering game is going to die a painful death at some point. For non-autos anyway. People will realize that the blue and the purple and the red and the gold are actually THE SAME CARD.

I sold a 2012 Sterling Bryce Harper black parallel numbered /50 for $55. This, to me, is f*cking crazy.
Couldn't agree more. I'm all for collecting the cards you like. Screw value and all the rest of the opinions. New production technology is nice, the cards have eye appeal. But, when i see a gerrit cole auto listed for 500 bucks and i could get 2-3 hank aaron autos for the same price, i will continue scratching my fat head
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

90's inserts are becoming harder to get these days. Before you know it, the same thing will be true for modern color. I say keep going with both. Build your Jeter empire. Your not really throwing money away as all Jeter cards will hold their monetary value over time.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabphour20 View Post

They aren't the SAME card... they are different. 100 years later, what do people want? The Magie or the Magee? All that is is one letter from each other, and were talking 10's of thousands difference in value.

Besides, even some of the base cards, with all parallels added up, are scarcer than one per case inserts from the 90's. Heck, even if you use a 90s example, a 96 Mirror Gold isnt going to become less valuable because it dawns on people 165 total Mirrors exist.

Although, I agree it does seem silly to grab the parallels, as I try not to. It does not make them any less valuable in my eyes. just not what i wish to spend my money on.
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote