Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Double Plays Question

I know Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell hold the all-time record for Double Plays turned by teammates, but does anyone know what their total was?

I know Lou turned 1,527 DPs in his career and that Tram turned 1,307 but I can't find their combined record total anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Always looking for interesting George Brett cards and currently working to acquire all possible Baseball Hall of Fame autos. (58% complete!)
Skipscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-Over 1300, if i recall correctly, which fits Trammell's numbers nicely.

A quick google search verified they played 1900+ games together, averaging around 93 DPs per year, 14 seasons (i think).

Weird, though, that all the articles about them don't actually mention a raw number.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-Over 1300, if i recall correctly, which fits Trammell's numbers nicely.

A quick google search verified they played 1900+ games together, averaging around 93 DPs per year, 14 seasons (i think).

Weird, though, that all the articles about them don't actually mention a raw number.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker
I know. It's pretty crazy. I see their record referenced in a ton of articles, but never the actual number.

Always looking for interesting George Brett cards and currently working to acquire all possible Baseball Hall of Fame autos. (58% complete!)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipscards View Post
I know. It's pretty crazy. I see their record referenced in a ton of articles, but never the actual number.
I have a similar problem. I'm sure I once heard during an Astros game that Biggio run/Bagwell RBI was second all-time behind Molitor run/Yount RBI but I can't find the numbers. I'm probably just being dumb, and may be wrong to begin with, but it's annoying!
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
I have a similar problem. I'm sure I once heard during an Astros game that Biggio run/Bagwell RBI was second all-time behind Molitor run/Yount RBI but I can't find the numbers. I'm probably just being dumb, and may be wrong to begin with, but it's annoying!
That is interesting. I'll see what I can dig up on that one.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I did some digging. (Read: I asked one of my buddies who does stats for one of the big league teams to see if he could crunch some numbers.)

While it is unreasonable to search through all of the data in the history of Major League Baseball to determine this, he did review the 4 players in question and discovered the following:

Jeff Bagwell drove in Craig Biggio 357 times
Robin Yount drove in Paul Molitor 273 times

I'm not saying Bags/Bigs hold the record, but they did it more times than Yount/Molitor.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would have suspected that Gehrig/Ruth held this record. Maybe Ruth hit too many HRs though.

Quote:
Well, I did some digging. (Read: I asked one of my buddies who does stats for one of the big league teams to see if he could crunch some numbers.)

While it is unreasonable to search through all of the data in the history of Major League Baseball to determine this, he did review the 4 players in question and discovered the following:

I'm not saying Bags/Bigs hold the record, but they did it more times than Yount/Molitor.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
I would have suspected that Gehrig/Ruth held this record. Maybe Ruth hit too many HRs though.
They may hold the record. We only took the time looking up the players asked. I would expect Ruth/Combs to rank pretty high also. Aaron and Mathews played together a long time also.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Excellent work. You can have the kudos even if your mate did the work! Disappointed with the result but there we go.

Who knows what I heard? Maybe it was single season, maybe NL-only and the 'stros pair were still to surpass them. Maybe I was just drunk. Whatever, would be great if they both make the Hall in the same year. Doesn't look like it will happen, if at all for Bagwell.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Excellent work. You can have the kudos even if your mate did the work! Disappointed with the result but there we go.

Who knows what I heard? Maybe it was single season, maybe NL-only and the 'stros pair were still to surpass them. Maybe I was just drunk. Whatever, would be great if they both make the Hall in the same year. Doesn't look like it will happen, if at all for Bagwell.
I thought you'd be happy that your boys were better than the Brew-Crew. Also, it couldn't have been NL only since Yount and Molitor played for the Brewers in the AL back then.

Also, keep the faith. Bags and Biggio will go in soon enough.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Brain fart with the NL/AL thing - I'm just trying to think of something that could have made me right!

I'm a Brewers fan btw, but Biggio was one of my favourite ever non-Brewers. Not so certain that Bagwell will get in. He should.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Brain fart with the NL/AL thing - I'm just trying to think of something that could have made me right!

I'm a Brewers fan btw, but Biggio was one of my favourite ever non-Brewers. Not so certain that Bagwell will get in. He should.
Ah. I see. Well, at least your two players are in the Hall. As for Bagwell he's going in. On this last ballot he received 59% of the vote and finished 3rd. Only 2 players in history have received as high a percentage and not been elected: Jack Morris (who will likely go in next year) and Gil Hodges. Also, only 2 players have ever received the 3rd most votes in any HOF ballot and not been elected: Gil Hodges and Tony Oliva. Interesting side note, Morris has never finished 3rd on the ballot but he is the only one to have ever received the 2nd most votes not eventually inducted.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I just think that the influx of no-doubters over the next few years might cause his vote to trend downwards over the next few years. Who have we got? Maddux, Johnson, Glavine, Pedro, Griffey, Thomas.. I may be missing someone obvious. Piazza's vote will continue to rise, and Bonds and Clemens obviously should be in already. There are going to be some diluted ballots over the next couple of years and I just fear it may mean Bagwell is in for a long wait.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I just think that the influx of no-doubters over the next few years might cause his vote to trend downwards over the next few years. Who have we got? Maddux, Johnson, Glavine, Pedro, Griffey, Thomas.. I may be missing someone obvious. Piazza's vote will continue to rise, and Bonds and Clemens obviously should be in already. There are going to be some diluted ballots over the next couple of years and I just fear it may mean Bagwell is in for a long wait.
Except the ones you mention will be in after one appearance on the ballot. There is a logjam for sure, but Maddux, Johnson, Glavine, etc won't hurt Bags' chance. Either way he gets in.

Bonds and Clemens...now they're in for a bit of a wait.