Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any Wade Boggs fans? CONTEST TIME!

CONTEST IS OVER!

I've recently got into the TTMing business (well, not really a business, but whatever ) and got a return from Wade Boggs today. I sent a small donation and, very generously, he signed all five cards I sent him.

I have had a great experience on blowout for the few months I've been here, so here's my first contest to give back to some of the awesome members on this site.

It's very simple. You don't need any specific iTrader or x amount of posts, just tell me the best experience you've had that pertains to baseball. It can be breaking an awesome pack and pulling an auto of your favorite player, hitting a homerun in high school, or attending a great MLB game. I will randomize the members who participate and the winner will receive one of the Wade Boggs autographs I recently received.

The contest is over at 8:00 PM, Eastern Time, on Wednesday, April 3rd.

Start posting!

Last edited by centereacan06; 04-03-2013 at 08:02 PM.
centereacan06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've had a few cool baseball experiences but I'd say my favorite is every year at Royals fanfest when I get to meet all my favorite players and get their autographs. I've had the chance to meet Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Joakim Soria, Billy Butler, Alex Gordon, David Dejesus, Zack Greinke, Frank White, and a lot of other great Royals over the past few years that I've been attending fanfest. It's always awesome to get to meet the guys you collect and get their autographs.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is a cool and funny Yankees experience.
I went to a Yankees game with my 2 kids in 2005.
It was arod bat day and we always would go early for batting practice.
My kids were 7 and 8 and it was pouring rain.
Batting practice had been canceled but my son was persistent that players would still come out. After half an hour in the pouring rain a guy who looks like a big wheeler dealer comes out and says he needs a brother and sister to go in the dugout and take pictures with their bats with arod. My two kids go in two the dugout and take pictures with arod and get his autograph. Then the picture went on the jumbo torn in the middle of the game. It was a great experience. The only funny part which isn't very surprising is that the whole time me and my kids were in the dugout arod didn't say a word. Even hi to my kids. Typical...
Overall a great experience though.
Hope this wins!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

My best baseball experience was a gift from both my parents and in-laws. I was on leave prior to a deployment, and they wanted to send me and my wife on a trip somewhere. They chose to watch our only child at the time and sent us to Boston. We stayed in the heart (Marriot I believe) of Boston and had great access to the city. It was my first time ever being in the city after spend my whole life raised as a SOX fan. I dragged my wife (three months pregnant at the time) all over Boston and around Fenway Park until she could not walk anymore. The next day we walked to the ball park as I took in the electric feeling of a game-day at Fenway. The feeling was incredible! My wife said I looked like a child in a candy shop, and I would not stop smiling. The Sox just happened to be hosting the A's and it was the final game of the series. I grew up a HUGE Nomar Garciaparra fan. Our seat were on 4 rows up and about 2 rows to the right of the SOX dugout. I felt like a king! I then realized that it was Nomar's last game in Fenway! I will forever remember my time there, and cannot wait to get back!!! GO SOX!

EDIT: I ended up naming my son 6 who was born 6 months later David Fenway! And wife allowed it! Mwuahahahahahhahahahahah
hxcdavidjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

My best experience was going to the Valley Forge card show for the first time. My dad just had got me into collecting, and the show was amazing. I got an in-person auto from steve carlton, and all the cards really sparked me to become interested in collecting
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

My favorite baseball moment was my senior year in baseball. It was in the playoffs and we were down 9-5 in the top of the 7th inning and I was leading it off! The pitcher threw some gas and he walked me once and K'd me too! The count got to 2-1 and I finally got a good piece of one of his pitches and lined it over the SS head. We ended up batting around the lineup and when I got back up, we only had 1 out and the other team decided to take their ace out of the game. They put in a kid that was throwin lob balls in there. The first pitch he threw at me, I completely wiffed on it. I don't even think the ball was half way to the plate because the kid threw so slow. The next pitch, I hit it in the same spot as last time, a liner over the SS head! It was a nice senior moment showing leadership when the team needed it and it propelled us to a 16-9 W, in what could have been my last game! But it was for sure my most memorable and favorite game in my baseball career. It'll always stick with me
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s204/hotshotter/Sports%20Cards/
CC_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

My best baseball game... I was at 2011 NLDS Game 5, up in the nosebleed seats behind home plate. I couldn't even really enjoy it though. Being an elimination game, every play made me grind my teeth. Finally, the Brewers won at the end in exciting fashion and the confetti fell from the rafters!

I know it's not related to Chicken Parm, but still...
theacox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I attended Game 3 of the 2011 World Series with my Uncle. This is the game when Pujols hit 3 HR's! Also, the 2004 All-Star Game was pretty memorable to attend as well. Jeter signed a ball for me (which has sense severely faded) and I was just inches away from getting an autograph from Barry Bonds!
I collect Andre Johnson.
Bars and Bar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Caught a foul ball off Carl Crawford's bat in Texas. Some bust he turned out to be.
phabphour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was at the 2006 AllStar Homerun Derby. Pregame workout included Ichiro hitting homerun after homerun(I kid you not). During the finals of the Derby, Ryan Howard hit a "hit-it-here-and win a million skymiles sign" for the game-winning homer!
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyouartist View Post
I was at the 2006 AllStar Homerun Derby. Pregame workout included Ichiro hitting homerun after homerun(I kid you not). During the finals of the Derby, Ryan Howard hit a "hit-it-here-and win a million skymiles sign" for the game-winning homer!
I remember that. He beat David Wright in the final round...

And that was your favorite moment? Well, I know one person who won't be winning the contest...

Lol I kid, I kid. I though it was pretty cool when it happened, too. Keep 'em coming, guys!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
I remember that. He beat David Wright in the final round...

And that was your favorite moment? Well, I know one person who won't be winning the contest...

Lol I kid, I kid. I though it was pretty cool when it happened, too. Keep 'em coming, guys!
When does this contest end?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbulldogs1010 View Post
When does this contest end?
Oh yeah, forgot to say. I'll end it Wednesday night at 8:00 PM Eastern Time.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

My favorite moment was when I was at Game 4 on the 2003 World Series. Marlins were leading the series 2-1 going into game four. Game was tied so it went into extra innings. Afther the 10th, still tied. After the 11th, still tied! Bottom of the 12th inning score was 2-2, and Alex Gonzalez came up. No count no outs. On the first pitch, Alex Gonzalez ripped one down the third base line. Going, going, gone!!!!!! Walk off home run. I will never forget the eruption of the crowd and this game was critical in the series becuase now the series was tied 2-2 instead of the Yankees being up 3-1. The Marlins went on the beat the Yankees (who better to beat??) I will never ever forget this baseball moment!!!!

Last edited by mimaalni; 03-31-2013 at 11:09 PM.
mimaalni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

There has been many considering i played from midget league up to semi-pro. I'll go with a time in semi-pro at Ft Lauderdale stadium (former spring training home of yankees and orioles). We were down by 1, 6th inning.. ahead of me we had 2 walks and 2 singles, an error and a fielders choice. The other teams shortstop was on my team the previous season and we did not get along. He was always telling everyone what to do, move here, just not needed and he pushed my buttons, we actually almost got into it in the dugout once. Well when i came up to bat, he(still being the same) ran over and whispered to the pitcher.
First pitch fastball, It was obvious he told him to just throw heat at me. 2nd pitch, i knew was gonna be same, and it was. I ripped a hard liner about 2 ft over pitchers head into center, 2 runs scored. Now its not a big play but what was good for me(due to our past) was the sarcastic smile i gave him when the play ended and he looked over at 1st(just a nice F U moment). That inning and my name actually got a mention on the league website article about our game and i have a printed copy.
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm a huge Mets fan and i attended many games, but this is about this one specific game in the 80's, that i attended with my father. We sat in the 1st row behind the dugout. This is when Daryl Strawberry was very popular and at the top of his game.. While a few Met's signed auto's by 1st base line, i waited for Straw by the top of the Dugout. He got to the steps and I was able to see him. I politely asked if he would sign my baseball. He said no, he wasn't aloud. I was destroyed...Later that game, he dove for a fly ball which he caught and ended up breaking his thumb. Ain't Karma a b*tch. lol Anyways, a few years ago, i won a contest from Wfan/nyc sports radio station. I got to go play ball at the Old Shea Stadium and meet the players etc..After, the winners got to attend an autograph signing with Mookie Wilson, Sid Fernandez and Daryl Strawberry. When i got up to Strawberry, he signed my baseball and then i told him the story about how i attended the game that he broke his thumb. He said, "oh yeah, the ball tailed on me and i dove and caught it." He then said he felt a terrible pain and his thumb hurt like "motha" lol When i told him that before the game, i asked him to sign my baseball and he declined, he apologized and said he was under contract at the time and wasn't aloud. Straw then told me to wait, he grabbed a bunch of other items and signed them for me, took a few pictures and then said that he hoped that this made up for it. *Craziest part- Immediately after that, Daryl politely excused himself and walked over to a smokin hot chic about 5 feet away and gave her his card and said I'm Daryl Strawberry, my wife is out of town, call me later...He was one heck of a player back in the day, but what a pig. lol

Last edited by gonygo; 03-31-2013 at 12:42 PM.
gonygo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Contest is still on. Anybody else want a Wade Boggs auto?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Once i went to a rockies game with a friend if mine, it was halftime and they were showing people on the jumbotron and my friend was completely shirtless and swinging his shirt around his head all while i was sitting and eating cettle corn, he comes up and he starts swinging his hands and hits me and all the popcorn goes flying and i fall out of my seat! Funniest thing ever! Another awesome experience was when i was at another rockies game and i started the wave in my row, soon the wave went around the whole stadium around 3 times. I felt like i had accomplished something for once! Thanks for the contest man
Pending Deals:
Ivanrf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

My story is this. In 1983 my uncle got me into card collecting and I haven't stopped since!! On my birthday in 1983 I turned the good old ripe age of 9. So my uncle took me to the local card shop to get Wade Boggs autograph for a whole $1.00 per autograph. I ended up having him sign my topps, fleer and donruss rookies (all of which I still have). Of course as a goofy kid I said "man your arm must hurt from all these autographs" and everyone laughs and I'm embarrassed as all hell. Then the next day my parents take me to the ball game to see the Red Sox play my home team the Tigers. Ahh the memories.
Congrats on getting all 5 cards signed and thanks for the contest!!
tmgrnzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #20 (permalink)

Almost 12 hours until contest is over, get in on it before it ends!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

my favorite moment? the Steve Bartman incident. after that, my Marlins were sparked and rallied all the way to the world series almost 10 years ago.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Favorite memories were when I was about 12 years old going to Rangers games at the Ballpark in Arlington and meeting Ivan Rodriguez on several occasions. Very nice player and signed multiple autos before every game.
BayAreaJavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

I got to see Nolan Ryan pitch against the A's. Still have the ticket stub.

I also got to go to game 3 of the 2010 World Series. That was the only game they won.

Last edited by Dustin; 04-03-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

When I was 18 I drove up to Ky to visit my Aunt and her family. Well, for my graduation present they gave me tickets to see the Cardinals and the Padres play. Well, I was stoked to the max because it was 1st row, behind the Padres dugout (wasn't a huge Padres fan or anything, just my 1st MLB game). Anyway, after the game was over, some guy came up to me as I was getting out of my seat. He asked if my name was Doug Sevier.. obviously it is. He said, your Aunt Dabney asked that you come with me..

Well, I should have been at least a little concerned, but since he knew my full name and my Aunt.. I excitedly followed. Down the ramp, through a tucked away door, down a hallway- and as I turned left into another doorway.. there we were, inside the Padres (visiting teams) locker room. First person to come up to me was Steve Finley (outfielder-not a HUGE star or anything, but great player) he introduced himself to me and I shook his hand and we chatted for 10-15 minutes. Turns out his mom was my aunts next door neighbor at the time! Aside from that, he introduced me to Tony Gwynn and auto'd several things for me. All in all lasted about 30 minutes.

To say I was floored, shocked, impressed- those would all be understatements. I couldn't believe what I had just experienced and I will forever cherish that day.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

In my last season of baseball as a 14-year-old, my team was in the first round of the playoffs. The score was 0-0 with 1 out going into the 6th inning (we only played 7 innings) and I came up to bat. My buddy was on third base after he hit a double and a grounder moved him over. I put one foot in the batter's box and looked down the third base line for any signs from the coach. He gave me the sign for the suicide squeeze. I couldn't believe it, but at the same time, I was at peace because I was confident in my bunting ability. The first pitch came high and outside, but I had to try and lay it down. I squared and, sure enough, laid it down perfectly between the pitcher and catcher. As I'm running my tail off to 1st, I notice the first baseman is just staring in the direction of my bunt. Turns out the pitcher was so caught off guard that he just walked up to the ball and quietly scooped it up. We won the game 1-0 and ended up winning the championship a couple weekends later!

Currently searching for: 2013 Topps Series 1 Sergio Romo Platinum 1/1
sfg2012 is offline   Reply With Quote