Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone watching Stetson Allie?

Picked up some of his stuff lately. Cool story, pitcher turned hitter now hitting .400 with his 6th homerun tonight! Keep your eye out for him.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well he hit .200 last year and is in Class A.

I doubt he ever turns into anything, but at least he isnt a strike out in every 3 at bats like last year.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

maybe JP can give a little more insight as to why they turned him to a hitter so quick instead of a pitcher. remember watching when the Bucs drafted him and said he was clocked as high as 102...figure they would give a little more time to work on control w/ someone that can throw that hard

Check out my eBay store for great cards at great prices! Everything set OBO!
HOFcollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I pulled a 2011 Bowman Chrome Futures Micro-Fractors Stetson Allie card /25 last year and was stoked because he is from the area I live in. Been semi-following him since. Hopefully he can keep developing into some kind of MLB player.
ALBASKETBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Why did they change him from pitcher to position player? I thought he was a really promising young pitcher.
Twinsfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsfan33 View Post
Why did they change him from pitcher to position player? I thought he was a really promising young pitcher.
Wasn't it just the results and him not being comfortable and wanting to change?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsfan33 View Post
He could hit the broadside of a barn. Being from Cleveland, he watched Ubaldo pitch one to many times.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

he's a pretty big kid. 1b might suit him fine.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

He has a cannon for an arm, ufortunately he has little control on where the ball goes.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just an hypothesis:If you can throw it as hard as he can, that should translate into how fast his bat speed is.

looking over his stats from last year to this year, his Strikeout to AB ratio is about the same but he is getting a lot more hits and has a lot more power.

Conclusion: He must be seeing the ball a lot better and is making solid contact when he doesn't whiff(she still strikes out to much).

He is definitely a interesting prospect. Hopefully, he will get promoted this season and be able to see some better quality pitches.

Last edited by ALBASKETBALL; 04-17-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
He has a cannon for an arm, ufortunately he has little control on where the ball goes.
he is a 1B now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBASKETBALL View Post
Just an hypothesis:If you can throw it as hard as he can, that should translate into how fast his bat speed is.

looking over his stats from last year to this year, his Strikeout to AB ratio is about the same but he is getting a lot more hits and has a lot more power.

Conclusion: He must be seeing the ball a lot better and is making solid contact when he doesn't whiff(she still strikes out to much).

He is definitely a interesting prospect. Hopefully, he will get promoted this season and be able to pitch some better quality pitches to see what he is really made of.
if you mean promoted and see some better pitches so we know if he can handle it i agree.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
he is a 1B now

if you mean promoted and see some better pitches so we know if he can handle it i agree.
Yep. My brain was still in sleep mode and I started to make no sense
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Allie didn't become a pitcher until later in his high school career. He didn't become a pitching prospect until they found out he could throw hard. Pirates wanted him to be a pitcher but gave up when he couldn't find any sort of control. Returning him to a hitting prospect was the only plausible way they could pass him off as a MLB prospect and attempt to recoup the huge contract they gave him. If and it's a big if that he makes it to the big leagues he will probably be a Matt Stairs type player.
tftf_wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

He's raking but still very much a long shot to ever reaching the majors.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32 View Post
He's raking but still very much a long shot to ever reaching the majors.
Young...he has a shot...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tftf_wv View Post
Allie didn't become a pitcher until later in his high school career. He didn't become a pitching prospect until they found out he could throw hard. Pirates wanted him to be a pitcher but gave up when he couldn't find any sort of control. Returning him to a hitting prospect was the only plausible way they could pass him off as a MLB prospect and attempt to recoup the huge contract they gave him. If and it's a big if that he makes it to the big leagues he will probably be a Matt Stairs type player.
This pretty much sums it up. They are trying to salvage their investment. I don't think he is any less likely to make it to the majors than other similar prospects. He is at the same point and age that most college hitters are when they are drafted.

Seems like several of the top prospects are striking out at alarming rates so far this season. Hopefully, they adjust and start producing.
ageofreason13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFcollector View Post
maybe JP can give a little more insight as to why they turned him to a hitter so quick instead of a pitcher. remember watching when the Bucs drafted him and said he was clocked as high as 102...figure they would give a little more time to work on control w/ someone that can throw that hard
Because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a beach ball, that's why. He once walked 8 guys in 2/3 of a inning. They tried him at 3b last year and he couldn't make the throws accurately. They finally just put him at 1b and said just hit the ball kid and catch whatever they throw at you.

Now you're seeing what happens when he doesn't have to concentrate on throwing the ball.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Just check his stats as a pitcher and you can see why hes now a hitter.

Brett Eibner is the next one
Old 04-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Young...he has a shot...
He's 22 with 13 games in A ball and almost a 25% k rate . Combine that with poor defense. He's a long-shot.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32 View Post
He's 22 with 13 games in A ball and almost a 25% k rate . Combine that with poor defense. He's a long-shot.
he hasn't struck out that much lately and people are still so high on guys like courtney hawkins who is a K machine so I would think Allie can make the bigs.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Yikes 102 MPH fast ball that is insane.
refuse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
he hasn't struck out that much lately and people are still so high on guys like courtney hawkins who is a K machine so I would think Allie can make the bigs.
Apples and bowling balls compared to Hawkins and Allie though, comparisons like that dont work. One is a failed pitcher who hasnt hit well since high school (terrible last year) and Hawkins is a top 15 draft pick last year with immense ceiling.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

I made a small investment in Allie after the 2010/2011 products came out and once he started bombing as a pitcher I wrote them off. With his recent small sample mashing at Low A I've put up a few things that I;m more than happy to try and recoup on while he's hot.

Is he a real hitting prospect long term? It's unlikely but there's a small chance. I probably won't stick around to find out if I can unwind what I have now at a decent return/minimal loss.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRalpho View Post
Apples and bowling balls compared to Hawkins and Allie though, comparisons like that dont work. One is a failed pitcher who hasnt hit well since high school (terrible last year) and Hawkins is a top 15 draft pick last year with immense ceiling.
idk man, the kid only played like 40 games last year as a batter. to ur point he hasn't concentrated on hitting since high school and hes off to this start!? and he avg abt a K per game, thats not horrible. also reminder he's only 22 and like last month turned 22. i think the ceiling is high but we shall see.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #25 (permalink)

Has anyone picked up any more Allie cards? I noticed his prices are starting to rise....
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote