Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default PSA- Another reason they are a joke

So I sent a card overnight ($20) last Thursday for a 2 day service ($65) plus shipping and insurance comes to $130 ish. I still have not gotten an email or call about the card. I just called and she asked me if I marked on the outside of the box that it was 2 day, and that they try to open all there mail but they don't always get to. She said they are still doing orders from April 1st. I told her I use Beckett and have never had this issue. Is this a real companyt?! They better not charge me for a 2 day still. Just another reason to never use PSA.
I actually sent cards out normal mail on Friday for 2 day service to BGS and they will be here Friday. I didn't have to put a white X with a circle on the box lol.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I am going to have a unfortunate story about them as well in a few days
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry about the situation.

It's in the fine print of the submission form:

9. Package cards and submission form carefully. To help expedite service, name of service must be marked clearly on the outside of the package.
hche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hche View Post
Sorry about the situation.

It's in the fine print of the submission form:

9. Package cards and submission form carefully. To help expedite service, name of service must be marked clearly on the outside of the package.
Yea can't say I read the fine print. That's what ya get I guess
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep, it's a big deal to write on the outside label '2 DAY SERVICE', same with grading coins.
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Unfortunately all PSA grading times are "estimated" and not guaranteed. I've heard of 2 day grading orders going 4-5 days at times. The turnaround time does not start until the order has been logged into their system, not when the package is received. Annoying?-absolutely.

I've had monthly special orders (45 days) take up to 2 weeks to be logged in due to backlog. They need to hire more people a.s.a.p. to speed things up.
californiakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bought a PSA membership 5 years ago. Will never do it again. Only SGC and Beckett get my business.
aliceinpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinpains View Post
Bought a PSA membership 5 years ago. Will never do it again. Only SGC and Beckett get my business.
I had a PSA membership also. Never again.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

PSA is a GIANT FRUAD!!!! in my opinion its only a matter of time before Joe Orlando is arrested for fraud. There are hundreds of high end cards that PSA has graded that are altered or trimmed. I believe Beckett will be the best grading company to go to in and realize the highest prices. Beckett and SGC are not perfect but they are no ware near as bad as PSA.
expertcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

PSA is a joke because their submission process (and more specifically their forms), at least for authentication, is magnitudes more complicated than it needs to be.
j20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

There cases are the biggest problem...

people can open them and reseal them..

That is a really really bad thing lol

i collect vinatge so im stuck.... sucks

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Joe I did the same thing before with a Babe Ruth card. Did the express (2 day) whatever service. think I paid like $100+ and it took them 14 days to even get to it. and then they called me and said my card was declined.. but then they figured out they put the wrong CC# in. They are a joke. I haven't sent them anything since. I do like there cases for PC items but dealing with them is kinda ridiculous.

Hope they don't charge you the full amount.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Beckett grades sheet cut cards.....
californiakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

psa is BEYOND a joke and is a total SCAM company! i dont care with anybody says to back them up. after all the fake psa cases and slabs of high dollar cards over the past few years and them doing nothing at all to change there cases or do anything about it. on top of poor customer service they should be out of business. how people still give this company business is amazing to me. so many fake psa slabs on the market with high dollar cards for years and they do absolutely noting about it! they are all about robbing the consumer, period. i havent used them in over 3 years and refuse to buy a card in a psa slab, its probably fake!
Jeremy Kerley
Super Collector
mrchipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

You spent 130 to grade a card?
clocsta2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

And yet another reason ill keep mine raw.
MJZak1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Slightly related question - is PSA/DNA as troublesome? Are there better options?

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTaco77 View Post
Slightly related question - is PSA/DNA as troublesome? Are there better options?
i personally think psa/dna does a fine job and would use them. but as far as them grading your card i wouldn't do that if they did it for free, and no im not lieing.
Jeremy Kerley
Super Collector
mrchipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiakron View Post
Beckett grades sheet cut cards.....
Can you prove it?
aliceinpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

I've dealt with PSA quite a few times and never had an issue. If you write the turnaround time on the box, your order will be processed much faster.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinpains View Post
Can you prove it?
Here is a link to this topic on FCB. The guy emailed someone at Beckett and here is their response. I guess this is proof.

Some disappointing information about BGS grading

Here is the OP from that link.

Quote:
So first let me say that I like BGS and even BVG (although most my vintage is in PSA holders). I respect them more than any other grading company when it comes to modern, and would choose a BGS 9.5 over a PSA 10 anytime (cards 1980 to now).

But because of some comments made over on the PSA boards, I felt compelled to email BGS about their policy on "sheet cut" cards. To be honest, I was a little disappointed at their response.

I guess I'll just post our exchange (sorry if it's a little lengthy):

?To: Grading <grading@beckett.com>?
Subject: Question regarding "sheet cut" cards
X
I buy and trust BGS grading. I've even submitted on occasion.
X
But the folks over on the PSA message boards, often bring up that BGS (and BVG) graders freely and openly grade "sheet cut" cards. That is, cards that are cut from sheets outside of the factory.X
Obviously it may not be possible to determine the circumstances surrounding how and when cards were cut from printed sheets. But I've heard numerous times that even when BGS is able to determine that cards are cut aftermarket from sheets, you will grade and encapsulate them. One collector even went so far as to say that on a tour of BGS, one grader told him that they're happy to grade such cards, and see no problem at all in doing so.
X
Along with this would be the implication that you freely grade trimmed cards, because besides possibly not meeting certain size requirements, there would be no real way to tell the difference between a card cut from a sheet or one trimmed afterwards.
X
Could you please shed some light on this situation? I'm very much interested in knowing if it is Beckett's policy to knowingly grade "sheet cut" cards.
X
Thanks, and look forward to hearing back from you!
X
--- Jeff D

To: JeffD
Subject: RE: Question regarding "sheet cut" cards

Thank you for the inquiry.X Yes, we will grade sheet cut cards if we feel the cards measure up to our standards. This is a policy we have had since we began grading cards.X The cards must measure up and must have a clean straight cut.X Many customers cut cards from sheets which produce a wavy edge.X We will not grade cards like this. X If the card does not measure up to our standards, and shows any sign of alteration, it will not be placed into a BGS case. XThere are several grading companies in the hobby that do not grade sheet cut cards.X We are aware of this but also realize that all cards originally came from a sheet. XWe hope this information helps and clears up any questions that you have.X XX
X

To: Grading <grading@beckett.com>
X
Thank you so much for your prompt response.?? So does that also mean you would grade trimmed cards that measure up to the sizing standards (assuming it's a clean trim job)? Because there's really no way to tell if it was a trim or cleanly cut from a sheet, correct???
Thanks again for your help!???

--- Jeff

If the card measures up, meaning that the card is not short from our listed standards, it can be graded.X If the card has a wavy edge, is short, is recolored, etc. it will not be placed into a Beckett case.X
X

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should be. But to me, this seems to say that they don't consider trimming a form or alteration. In this day and age, not producing "wavy" cuts doesn't seem to be much of a challenge. Obviously it may be tough to tell a factory cut from a trim, but it appears Beckett only cares about a card measuring up to size. So a tight trim, that doesn't take a lot off the overall dimensions, will always be allowed to be graded
As someone that considers trimming a form of alteration, this disturbs me.

I'm not at all trying to disparage BGS and I actually still plan on submitting some cards, but does this seem like a poor policy?
At least refuse to encapsulate a card if you KNOW it's been trimmed...no?
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

This is funny . Ok people both companies do shady crap. Its also done by the human eye on grading a card not a machine set up to determine anything. But i can say BGS has had plenty of issues one big one i know of is the Strausburg 1/1 that should have got a 7 or 8 grade and they gave 9.5 or 10. Also i have seen fake patch cards graded by BGS Also trimmed cards. You also hear stories about BGS grading a card the customer not liking the card from BGS sends to PSA and told its trimmed . Sends back to BGS and they say same thing. But this is after they graded before.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTaco77 View Post
Exceptionally troublesome.
j20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Here is a link to this topic on FCB. The guy emailed someone at Beckett and here is their response. I guess this is proof.

Some disappointing information about BGS grading

Here is the OP from that link.
i get that....

but, if a card measures within their set tolerances, how would anyone know it was trimmed, or cut from a sheet?

i wouldn't be able to tell. that's for damn sure.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

I've been waiting over a month for a 10 day turnaround. My order was logged in promptly, but it's been sitting there ever since.