Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up BGS Submission. Do it yourself!

I was going to hop into a group submission, but after some concerning dialogue with the host, I decided to just do it myself. I've never done a submission before, and I am pretty new to the current generation of card collecting, so it's safe to assume I was greener than Kermit the Frog when it comes to card grading and BGS.

I just went to beckett, clicked the boxes for what cards I had, selected my preferred form of shipping, printed it, and sent my cards. That's it. And I already got them back via the 20 day service. The folks in the group submission thread are still waiting for their cards.

After some discussions with a moderator on this site and potential concerns they had about risk with group submissions, I am urging you to eliminate the middle man and just do it yourself! Don't take unnecessary risk. I got fantastic grades, and they gave me a 10% off coupon for my next submission. Here is the bulk of my grading results. Couldn't be happier! My die cut got a 9, but that was expected because of how intricate the die cut is. I was actually anticipating an 8 or 8.5. The rest of my Russells all received high grades as you can see.

Here is the link to submit your cards to Beckett.

Beckett.com

Just make an account which takes about 30 seconds and you're on your way. If you have any questions, I'm glad to help.

Good Luck

-BP

www.JortsCenter.com
Bullpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

those are great results!
also, they are not typical results for first time submittors.
i'll eat those words if you can duplicate that sub.

every once in a while I group host BGS submissions, i don't make a profit, i do it to save people (and myself) money. people saved a ton of money on my last group. a few even saved $100+.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is that a Phillies card I see in the bottom left corner?
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
Is that a Phillies card I see in the bottom left corner?
Roy Halladay /25 sir. It's available!

www.JortsCenter.com
Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

nice toughbook by the way!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
nice toughbook by the way!
lol thanks. It's pretty nice!

www.JortsCenter.com
Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpup View Post
lol thanks. It's pretty nice!
I hear your idea but its the price for group submissions that help, that is why I do group subs!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbulldogs1010 View Post
I hear your idea but its the price for group submissions that help, that is why I do group subs!
Again, if anyone is like me, they don't actually know how cheap it is to do it yourself and assume no risk. Here is current pricing

So, by the time you pay shipping to the 3rd party group host, and pay shipping back, plus all your insurance you're paying for all the shipping, you've eaten up a chunk of your savings, plus your assuming unecessary risk.

Then, after you do it yourself, they send you a 10% off coupon that you can use on the next order. Really is no point to do third party in my opinion. Get your stuff back faster, safer, same results.

www.JortsCenter.com

Last edited by Bullpup; 04-18-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Again, if anyone is like me, they don't actually know how cheap it is to do it yourself and assume no risk. Here is current pricing

So, by the time you pay shipping to the 3rd party group host, and pay shipping back, plus all your insurance you're paying for all the shipping, you've eaten up a chunk of your savings, plus your assuming unecessary risk.

Then, after you do it yourself, they send you a 10% off coupon that you can use on the order. Really is no point to do third party in my opinion. Get your stuff back faster, safer, same results.
simply not true.

i even broke it down in my previous submission. NO WAY would they have saved as much money if they did it on their own. especially when only 1-12 cards by themselves.

you can even ask anyone who was a part of the sub as well.
VWBUS1978's March BGS Group Submission
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
simply not true.
What isn't true?

www.JortsCenter.com
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
What isn't true?
that you don't save money when submitting as a group.

you can remove all risk if submitting with me. the submission that i had completed before the link i listed, i had received $12-16,000 worth of cards, and ALL cards made it back to their owners.

i can also vouch for other group hosts, barberromo2008 comes to mind as a great BGS host.

Last edited by VWBUS1978; 04-18-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
that you don't save money when submitting as a group.
Did I say that somewhere?

www.JortsCenter.com
Old 04-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

I asked about this last week. The general answer was that the big savings came from splitting up the shipping & insurance that BGS charges to return the submission. Apparently it's pretty expensive.

Personally, I'm waiting to find out more information on the COMC/BGS partnership. That could potentially be cheaper than any of the other methods.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Or just wait until they run specials and its not too pricey
Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

What I am saying is for the handful of dollars guys save by doing group submissions, they can do it themselves, assume no risk, have peace of mind, get the same grades, and get the cards back quicker for same type of service (no extra 3rd party shipping/handling time necessary).

I understand guys who host group submissions may not be in love with this thread, and that's predictable/understandable because if you get a lot of cards graded, guys doing it themselves cost you money, but I wanted to share my experiences with users who may think the process is hard, or they may get not as good grades, or have issues if they do it themselves. THAT simply isn't true and because of my experience I will be sending all my cards solo 100% of the time going forward.

Of course they'll save a few bucks going through third party but the money saved, after all the shipping, insurance, etc etc etc isn't worth it to me, personally, when I can do it myself and have the piece of mind that I'm dealing with only Beckett, can track my cards myself, and be the only one involved in my cards being slabbed.

www.JortsCenter.com
Old 04-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Did I say that somewhere?
not directly. but it seemed as though you were implying that.
you also implied that myself (and other hosts) were a risk to send cards to, when submitting.
in my opinion, the post office is where most, if not all, of the risk lies.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
I asked about this last week. The general answer was that the big savings came from splitting up the shipping & insurance that BGS charges to return the submission. Apparently it's pretty expensive.

Personally, I'm waiting to find out more information on the COMC/BGS partnership. That could potentially be cheaper than any of the other methods.
BGS/COMC - i am in... i was about to load $300 into my COMC account and send cards in, but i found a card i had to have... so there went that.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

Yep, this is what I was led to believe too but not true I found out, in doing it myself. You, yourself, pick the cost of how your items will be shipped back to you, and you pick your insurance cost. These are the drop down menus that you choose from. You're in control.

*Shipping Method : *Declared Value : $
*Service Term : Shipping Acc. No. :
Promotion Code (if any) :

www.JortsCenter.com
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
you also implied that myself (and other hosts) were a risk to send cards to, when submitting.
Yeah, i can understand why you would not be thrilled with all of this as someone who hosts from time to time, but I took the plunge and could not have had a better experience or been happier with the results, so just sharing my opinions and facts around my first submission.

www.JortsCenter.com

Last edited by Bullpup; 04-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

I get repeat customer offers pretty consistently and the rates tend to be about what I'd pay for a group submission on here. The first submission was more expensive but now I get group sub prices doing it myself. Goes much faster without the middleman. It was worth it just to get the repeat customer offers. Also the savings for a group sub are canceled out some by the extra costs of shipping to and from the host.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
This actually has been my hangup with doing a group submission. There is a HUGE element of trust involved. Now I've done dealings with you in group breaks, so I'd feel a little less stressed about sending you a couple hundred dollars worth of my cards for submission. However, I wouldn't be able to say that about all the hosts.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
This actually has been my hangup with doing a group submission. There is a HUGE element of trust involved. Now I've done dealings with you in group breaks, so I'd feel a little less stressed about sending you a couple hundred dollars worth of my cards for submission. However, I wouldn't be able to say that about all the hosts.
Same. I was looking at potentially sending in my Russell Wilson #3/5 Die Cut auto to someone I met on the internet on a message board. This card has 4 digit value and climbing. I reached out to the host to ask some questions and he was short, condescending, and seemed only concerned with how much the overall value of cards I would be sending him was. He didn't actually even answer the questions I sent him about the process. He then posted a smart ass remark in his group submission thread when I posted I would be backing out of the group submission. His post was later deleted. (By a moderator?)

Just left me uneasy and wondering how much I would be risking by blindly trusting someone with my valuable card(s).

I PM'ed a moderator on this site who told me that the group submissions are actually a monster concern for them, because of the risk involved. someone may have a good reputation but the thought that "everyone has a price" is there and if one of the group hosts is all of a sudden holding a lot of cards with a book value that is high enough to make them even consider going AWOL, it could turn into a nightmare for everyone. BOC included!

Basically it was enough for me to say "screw it" and look up pricing myself and just do it myself.

Very happy I did, couldn't have been easier and smoother, and will be sending all my submissions myself going forward. Couldn't have been easier and I feel silly for even considering using a group submission. I'm looking forward to using my first repeat customer discount!

The risk isn't worth the savings to me. And using FedEx into BGS and back to you requiring signatures on both ends eliminates risk at the post office and risk dealing with any 3rd parties. Plus, like was said above, you really eat into your savings having to insure and ship to and from a 3rd party. Just not worth it for me.

www.JortsCenter.com

Last edited by Bullpup; 04-18-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

We're all very impressed you learned how to submit an order to BGS.

Everyone has their own preference. Just like you think it's better to do it on your own, others have dealt with particular hosts and have no issues doing a group sub and saving a few bucks.
st0lenbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0lenbase View Post
We're all very impressed you learned how to submit an order to BGS.
Awesome, obligatory smartass BOC member post.

Great Feedback You've Shared

www.JortsCenter.com
Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

You're really underplaying the savings.

I've submitted to BSG myself several times and I only do it if I have a lot of cards (30+)

What is this "added risk" you speak of? Both Jonathan and Mike who run BGS subs seem like stand up guys and they've never had any issues so there's no risk (in my opinion) of them stealing my cards. Insurance is $5 for me to a from which is a LOT cheaper than what BGS charges.

As far as shipping? I've done 4 BGS sub groups and I've saved $148 so far....that's not a marginal savings IMO that's a LOT of savings. Yeah it takes about 5-10 days longer but for PC stuff or things I'm not trying to flip on, I'll gladly take that savings.

Also....out of my four BGS subs I've received 28/30 9.5/10 grades. I typically do well by myself too now that I have an eye for it BUT I've cracked open four separate graded cards that I bought that were a 9/10 and 3 of those 4 got 9.5/10s when I subbed with a group.

You can't take your anecdotal experience and assume it's the norm. A lot of 1st time subbers by themselves won't get those scores. You did well!

Honestly, some people are just bad at guessing what cards will get, maybe you're not one of them and just know what to sub but I definitely have sent in some "questionable" cards to group subs and they all came back 9.5/10!

Last edited by RipitRipken; 04-18-2013 at 05:13 PM.
RipitRipken is offline   Reply With Quote