Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mcsd121
Default Machado advice

I have a few Manny Machado autographed rookie cards from a few different sets. My question is, do I sell now while he's hot or do I hold on to them because he's great and has the possibility of being a HOFer. Yes I know there are huge variables and obstacles, I just don't want to be kicking myself 15 years from now. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions
mcsd121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsd121 View Post
I have a few Manny Machado autographed rookie cards from a few different sets. My question is, do I sell now while he's hot or do I hold on to them because he's great and has the possibility of being a HOFer. Yes I know there are huge variables and obstacles, I just don't want to be kicking myself 15 years from now. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions
Even if he were to stay on a HOF pace they aren't likely to be much higher than now. The new hype guys always overshadow the vets. Look at what you can get Musial/Aaron/Griffey etc autos for right now. All of these prospects have so many RC's and autos in comparison to how it used to be which isn't going to help long term value either.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Yep sell now while you can. The days of holding on to a card for 20 yrs. and it gaining value are long gone. It's a get what you can while you can hobby now.
yankee_pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I kind of beg to differ, and I own quite a bit of machado high end. His prices are still pretty soft considering what he's doing both offensively and defensively. The prices have gone up a bit in the past few weeks, but his current BA is now higher than Harper and Trout and he's trending up while most of the other guys are trending down. Plus, he's on a playoff contending team, which can only help.

I'm holding (you may or may not) because I still think there's plenty of room for him, especially with how much he's producing. If he gets an all-star bid this year, I'd say significantly more.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great info, my only contradiction to the older cards is they weren't autographed back then. I do understand the argument though.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bit of a side track but what Machado's are you talking about? If its the 2010 Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects I say hold it any other I would sell but that's just me
Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
I kind of beg to differ, and I own quite a bit of machado high end. His prices are still pretty soft considering what he's doing both offensively and defensively. The prices have gone up a bit in the past few weeks, but his current BA is now higher than Harper and Trout and he's trending up while most of the other guys are trending down. Plus, he's on a playoff contending team, which can only help.

I'm holding (you may or may not) because I still think there's plenty of room for him, especially with how much he's producing. If he gets an all-star bid this year, I'd say significantly more.
I do see this potential in the vein of what Trout's cards did last year and Harper's are doing right now. It could happen but I think he got swallowed in the hype of those two and kind of ignored. It would take an amazing season to get 'rediscovered' by the prospectors and whils I think he is great I don't see it. He is definately on their level and his cards are way below theirs but for some reason doesn't excite people the same way. At the least, outside of an injury I don't see them going down in value this year so it shouldn't hurt to wait a couple more months to hedge the bets. But, to the OP's question, I stand by what I said about now vs 15 years from now. Most stars BC autos are tending to settle and stay at $150 or under.

Last edited by jmscoggin; 05-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Last edited by jmscoggin; 05-11-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: double post
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
I do see this potential in the vein of what Trout's cards did last year and Harper's are doing right now. It could happen but I think he got swallowed in the hype of those two and kind of ignored. It would take an amazing season to get 'rediscovered' by the prospectors and while I think he is great I don't see it happening. He is definately on their level and his cards are way below theirs but for some reason he doesn't excite people the same way. At the least, outside of an injury I don't see them going down in value this year so it shouldn't hurt to wait a couple more months to hedge the bets.
I wholeheartedly agree with this comment. I sometimes wonder where Machado's hobby "status" would be if Trout/Harper didn't come along or if those two didn't have the performances they've had so far.

Personally, I'm picking up a bunch of his cards, though I have no intention of doing so for flipping down the road. I just think he's a very talented player who's fun to watch.
RiceLynnEvans75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceLynnEvans75 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this comment. I sometimes wonder where Machado's hobby "status" would be if Trout/Harper didn't come along or if those two didn't have the performances they've had so far.

Personally, I'm picking up a bunch of his cards, though I have no intention of doing so for flipping down the road. I just think he's a very talented player who's fun to watch.
I'm doing the same. I do believe now that this kid is the next ARod without the PEDs. He's just going to get better in my opinion. I really like his new colored RC autos in 2013 Bowman..picked up a couple of them.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
I'm doing the same. I do believe now that this kid is the next ARod without the PEDs. He's just going to get better in my opinion. I really like his new colored RC autos in 2013 Bowman..picked up a couple of them.
You do know who is mentor is don't you? Not saying he is a user but I would have picked better role models. Just sayin.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
You do know who is mentor is don't you? Not saying he is a user but I would have picked better role models. Just sayin.
LOL..the man himself I think there's worse mentors for him in the world..
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would hold machado until Sept/Oct unless he starts slumping badly. I may even sell my stuff if he makes Allstar game for that bump. It is is easy for him to go up another 100 per base to settle in at 250 per base considering he is in the same boat as Harper/Trout and people across the hobby have just seen the potential with them so they will bump his chromes to 250 per thinking they can still go up to 400 per.... I still think his chromes have tons of potential, doesn't mean i'll hold until Hofer. I will not hold onto my Machados past this season.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Machado's color is dirt cheap and should be selling for more than Oscar Taveras by now...
Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Braves View Post
LOL..the man himself I think there's worse mentors for him in the world..
Agreed and I would not have mentioned it other than your post. Machado seems like a good straight up kid but for as close as they are and as dirty as A-Rod is it does make me wonder. Not that I am not a cynic on this topic, I do believe that a vast majority of players use something in the grey area at the least.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

I mostly have UD sig stars and the team USA from 2010. I wish I had some bowman autos but I don't believe I do. Maybe I'll sell what I have and use the funds to buy a nice bowman auto. Some great info guys, thank you
Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsd121 View Post
I mostly have UD sig stars and the team USA from 2010. I wish I had some bowman autos but I don't believe I do. Maybe I'll sell what I have and use the funds to buy a nice bowman auto. Some great info guys, thank you
Bowman Chrome is the only currency in prospecting. All that other stuff is like a savings account. You collect at 1 percent if that/
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neema View Post
Machado's color is dirt cheap and should be selling for more than Oscar Taveras by now...
DIRT CHEAP?!!
BASE $75-$125
REFRACTOR $120-$250
BLUE $300-$450
GOLD $550-$900+
ORANGE $1250-$2500
RED $2500+

I'm gonna have to disagree with dirt cheap unless you can point me in the direction where your getting these dirt cheap Machado's I WANT SOME MORE!
Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan300rum View Post
DIRT CHEAP?!!
BASE $75-$125
REFRACTOR $120-$250
BLUE $300-$450
GOLD $550-$900+
ORANGE $1250-$2500
RED $2500+

I'm gonna have to disagree with dirt cheap unless you can point me in the direction where your getting these dirt cheap Machado's I WANT SOME MORE!
Blues at 300 for raw/BGS 9 is dirt cheap in my mind when Harper Blue goes for 1100..... Do the math, 27.27 Percent of the cost of a harper blue, Golds are probably closer to 700 on a bgs 9/raw for machado too. 700 Vs 2200 31.8 percent. Catch my drift? haha.

Also, Base autos are probably 120 raw/BGS 9 now vs 425 of harper. 28.2 percent, just sayin.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Blues at 300 for raw/BGS 9 is dirt cheap in my mind when Harper Blue goes for 1100..... Do the math, 27.27 Percent of the cost of a harper blue, Golds are probably closer to 700 on a bgs 9/raw for machado too. 700 Vs 2200 31.8 percent. Catch my drift? haha.

Also, Base autos are probably 120 raw/BGS 9 now vs 425 of harper. 28.2 percent, just sayin.
I don't disagree when compared to Harper
Yeah but 99% of the hobby would be considered "dirt cheap" compared to Harper prices only Trouts 2009 BDPP Autos compare to Harper's chrome autos in price really please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Obviously stuff like Puljos chrome rookie auto and some of the earlier 2000's chrome but not many idk maybe I'm wrong. Machado's prices seem to compare to Fernandez, Baez, Profar & idk why but Hosmer as well
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

He's continuing to see the ball with laser vision and is a top 10 defender in the game. I mean jesus, he's almost at a .320 clip...all this from a guy who; even myself, thought there wasn't that much chance he'd see .300 even this early in the season....let alone at any time.

It's not difficult to see how his cards have so much more room for growth when they're just a TAD bit higher than they were back in late '10 and early '11 before his call up. You have to remember, this isn't a slouch we're talking about, he was the 3rd overall selection 3 years ago.

The Orioles continue to become an improved team, which can only garner him more attention both media and hobby wise. To me it's really a no brainer. Probably not the best time to buy, but if you have them...I'd personally hold. Barring a catastrophic injury (which could happen to any player), all the ingredients are there for a perfect storm.

I think the thing I love most about him (other than his glove) is how clutch he is with everything on the line. Can't count the number of times both last year and this year that he either drove in the tieing or winning run in the 9th or extra innings.

Last edited by ninjacookies; 05-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

Seriously HOF talk this early? Really?
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan300rum View Post
I don't disagree when compared to Harper
Yeah but 99% of the hobby would be considered "dirt cheap" compared to Harper prices only Trouts 2009 BDPP Autos compare to Harper's chrome autos in price really please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Obviously stuff like Puljos chrome rookie auto and some of the earlier 2000's chrome but not many idk maybe I'm wrong. Machado's prices seem to compare to Fernandez, Baez, Profar & idk why but Hosmer as well
I would say Machado can easily be raised up in price. It makes sense to compare in the same with HArper and Trout because he has surpassed those others in price and seems to be on his way. Price wise he is an exact image of Trout last year as far as the rate in which he is going up. Trout Chromes were at like 80 then jumped up to 140 once he got out of slump and was batting .300 then when he jumped up to .330 they hit 250 and so on.

I really think he compares to them two better than any other prospect.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

I really think he compares to them two better than any other prospect.
This. And it really isn't even close.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

and another 3 hit game
darscards35kd is offline   Reply With Quote