Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Well Done Topps!

On Thursday, I talked with Topps about two redemptions that had been pending for 4 months.

Today (2 DAYS LATER) these arrive...

Well Done Topps!-5-11-13-topps.jpg

The Harper is a refractor #211/500

The total eBay value of the two pending redemptions was somewhere between $150-$200, so I'm obviously VERY pleased!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sweet cards! The Harper auto looks very bold as well. Congrats!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

What were the redemptions??
Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Topps either REALLY comes through or MEGA effs up. Mostly the latter.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Think they would send me one of those bowman Harpers for his Topps chrome auto I am owed?
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

What the hell. I'd love one of those refractor BC autos for my sepia /75 auto of harper
Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wonder if I can sweet talk them into something better then the 12 Snell Sterling I am waiting on...
Old 05-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GoCards View Post
On Thursday, I talked with Topps about two redemptions that had been pending for 4 months.

Today (2 DAYS LATER) these arrive...

Attachment 145369

The Harper is a refractor #211/500

The total eBay value of the two pending redemptions was somewhere between $150-$200, so I'm obviously VERY pleased!
First off, awesome turn out for you. Having said that WTF!!!!? Topps, you continue to outdo yourselves. You have been sending me and others crap replacements or returning things unfixed (Needchapmans) to very good customers. I have almost 30 outstanding redemptions some going back almost a year and do you care? Hell no. But then you do something as outrageously stupid as this or sending out a BC red Harper auto that was worth four times the Trout it replaced. I hope and pray that Topps goes bankrupt and gets purchased by someone that has one ounce of business sense and customer service abilities. Sorry, a little fed up with Topps right now. I'm not sure if that came across.

Datkiem was a mad genius and way ahead of his time.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
First off, awesome turn out for you. Having said that WTF!!!!? Topps, you continue to outdo yourselves. You have been sending me and others crap replacements or returning things unfixed (Needchapmans) to very good customers. I have almost 30 outstanding redemptions some going back almost a year and do you care? Hell no. But then you do something as outrageously stupid as this or sending out a BC red Harper auto that was worth four times the Trout it replaced. I hope and pray that Topps goes bankrupt and gets purchased by someone that has one ounce of business sense and customer service abilities. Sorry, a little fed up with Topps right now. I'm not sure if that came across.
The best argument would be that they claimed they have made special autos to replace redemptions...vlad, Utley etc. but how can they not honor replacements after a year but heres a card that has been sitting there for almost 2 years....
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
Topps either REALLY comes through or MEGA effs up. Mostly the latter.
I think it's just selection bias. Very few post a replacement unless they are unhappy or extremely happy with it. My personal experience with Topps is that they are reasonably fair. When you send out that many cards because you can't fulfill redemptions (something collectors will be bitter about from the get go), you're bound to screw some people over.

My Photobucket: http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/mcgoo2_2008/
mcgoo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hey, could you please let us know what 2 redemptions could possibly be worth those cards you received? I have 5 or 6 bigger $ redemptions waay older than 4 months I'd love to get a friggin Harper Ref auto in it's place...
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Cano/Pettitte dual patch auto from five star and a Cano silver signatures from five star were the redemptions. I've found that when I talk directly to people at Topps, be very polite, and remind them of my positive experiences, they do right by me. I've had screwups too, but overall they've treated me really well.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Cano/Pettitte dual patch auto from five star and a Cano silver signatures from five star were the redemptions. I've found that when I talk directly to people at Topps, be very polite, and remind them of my positive experiences, they do right by me. I've had screwups too, but overall they've treated me really well.
I will add that for this round of replacements, I was ignored for two weeks, was told by one employee I should not contact him directly, and then finally got somebody who cared. As I mentioned, if you stick to it and treat them well, they usually return the favor. I think most problems arise when people start calling/emailing only when they're really angry and end up saying some things they shouldn't. I wouldn't go out of my way to help out somebody who's being a jerk to me. Most of the time the person you're talking to isn't the person who has screwed you over before, so you shouldn't direct frustrations at them. Just my two cents...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I will add that for this round of replacements, I was ignored for two weeks, was told by one employee I should not contact him directly, and then finally got somebody who cared. As I mentioned, if you stick to it and treat them well, they usually return the favor. I think most problems arise when people start calling/emailing only when they're really angry and end up saying some things they shouldn't. I wouldn't go out of my way to help out somebody who's being a jerk to me. Most of the time the person you're talking to isn't the person who has screwed you over before, so you shouldn't direct frustrations at them. Just my two cents...
I could not be more nice and friendly to phone customer service. Still has never worked. I would chalk this up to sheer dumb luck. I bet they thought you were supposed to be getting a Ruth/Jesus/ Lincoln Triple auto relic RC Superfractor and they thought they would screw you be sending you just these two cards. Ha, jokes on them this time.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I could not be more nice and friendly to phone customer service. Still has never worked. I would chalk this up to sheer dumb luck. I bet they thought you were supposed to be getting a Ruth/Jesus/ Lincoln Triple auto relic RC Superfractor and they thought they would screw you be sending you just these two cards. Ha, jokes on them this time.
Lol, well I think one thing that helped was that they didn't have a book value for the dual auto/patch card. I was told the book value on the silver signature right off the bat and gave a list of players I'd like replacements from right away. I was told I could get a Harper or a Trout. I chose Harper and was asked if there was a specific product I would like due to Five Star's chipping issues. I said as long as it's a comparable serial number (dual auto patches were #/10) and on card auto, I would be happy. I also noted that I obviously did not expect a 1/10 or 1/25 Harper, as Harper is more valuable than Cano/Pettitte. I was offered a Harper patch auto #/25 and she said, "oh wait, that's a sticker auto though". I asked if there was anything from 2011 or 2012 Bowman Chrome and was told that Harper still has 2012 bowman chrome autos out for signing, so she couldn't do anything there and the only 2011 bowman chromes she had were #/500. I'm pretty sure that if she would have had a blue or a gold, she would have offered one of those, just to get close to the serial number from my original redemption. I told her the refractor auto would be acceptable, and we started to discuss the Cano silver signatures. I was not offered any player from my list (Jeter, Harper, Trout, Griffey, Shelby Miller, and James Ramsey) and was given a choice between Heyward, Hamilton, or...I can't remember the third option. I figured I shouldn't press my luck and quickly said Heyward...so she couldn't change her mind about the Harper. 2 days later I have the cards in hand.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Lol, well I think one thing that helped was that they didn't have a book value for the dual auto/patch card. I was told the book value on the silver signature right off the bat and gave a list of players I'd like replacements from right away. I was told I could get a Harper or a Trout. I chose Harper and was asked if there was a specific product I would like due to Five Star's chipping issues. I said as long as it's a comparable serial number (dual auto patches were #/10) and on card auto, I would be happy. I also noted that I obviously did not expect a 1/10 or 1/25 Harper, as Harper is more valuable than Cano/Pettitte. I was offered a Harper patch auto #/25 and she said, "oh wait, that's a sticker auto though". I asked if there was anything from 2011 or 2012 Bowman Chrome and was told that Harper still has 2012 bowman chrome autos out for signing, so she couldn't do anything there and the only 2011 bowman chromes she had were #/500. I'm pretty sure that if she would have had a blue or a gold, she would have offered one of those, just to get close to the serial number from my original redemption. I told her the refractor auto would be acceptable, and we started to discuss the Cano silver signatures. I was not offered any player from my list (Jeter, Harper, Trout, Griffey, Shelby Miller, and James Ramsey) and was given a choice between Heyward, Hamilton, or...I can't remember the third option. I figured I shouldn't press my luck and quickly said Heyward...so she couldn't change her mind about the Harper. 2 days later I have the cards in hand.
Well played sir. While I respect her enthusiasm to help it sounds like she may need to be learned on the 'correct' way Topps operates. She is obviously new.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Well played sir. While I respect her enthusiasm to help it sounds like she may need to be learned on the 'correct' way Topps operates. She is obviously new.
She is a management level employee actually. I think she was unhappy about how the other people I contacted treated me and went out of her way to get me something I'd be happy with.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

congrats! but fukk topps!!!!!!!!!!
og_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Fantastic Store

Quote:
She is a management level employee actually. I think she was unhappy about how the other people I contacted treated me and went out of her way to get me something I'd be happy with.
Hmm, haven't had many conversations with Topps on redemptions but the fact that you were given options is damn lucky as that is almost as rare as a BGS 10 Superfractor
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I would not call what they did for the op as stupid. Your wasting your time praying for them to go under. Not going to happen.
Aleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow Topps hooked you up cause no way that's equal value

Congrats
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

Hmm, I'm been waiting for an Atomic Ref. auto redemption Bubba Starling from 2012 Platinum(numbered to 10 or 5 I forgot), I wonder if I could squeeze a Harper out of them for that card?
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Did you happen to ask if cano is signing at all lately? I am waiting for 5 of his five star autos. Just don't have the patience to call and ask.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ssYankees7cf View Post
Did you happen to ask if cano is signing at all lately? I am waiting for 5 of his five star autos. Just don't have the patience to call and ask.
Pretty sure I was told, "Those cards are not going to be made, so we can definitely discuss replacements."
Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

Wonderful gotta love it