Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
neema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,401
Default Starlin Castro is an absolute beast!

Now I continue to see how cheap his autos are but I have a feeling once people realize the type of career numbers he will be able to put up things will change at least a little. At the age of 23 and has already 570career hits and is a definite contender for 3000.
I am a Whitesox fan btw.

If Starlin Castro can stay healthy and be as good as he has been, the guy is on pace to have close to 1500 hits at the age of 27!! Number 5 youngest all time most hits A-roid(1535) Number 4 Robin Yount(1541) number 3 Vada Pinson(1559) Number 2 Mel Ott(1615) and number 1 all time Ty Cobb (1727)

I love this guy for lack of recognition.
__________________
I don't even know.
neema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
BIGcntry87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Peoria
Posts: 196
Default

You really got to be quite about him for my sake
__________________
Collecting: Starlin Castro

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/BIGcntry87/
BIGcntry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
phillies347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 3,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGcntry87 View Post
You really got to be quite about him for my sake
I know right same here
__________________
Supercollecting Hamels; ~260 Different
Buying/Trading For 2011 Topps Tier One and 2012 Topps Chrome
<------Check my COMC - Always Countering or Accepting Offers!
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
ChicagoCubsWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Denver, IA
Posts: 5,327
Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS
Default

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
__________________
Collecting Cubs Prospects
ChicagoCubsWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoCubsWS View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
^^this x100000
Cubsfan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Michigan300rum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neema View Post
Now I continue to see how cheap his autos are but I have a feeling once people realize the type of career numbers he will be able to put up things will change at least a little. At the age of 23 and has already 570career hits and is a definite contender for 3000.
I am a Whitesox fan btw.

If Starlin Castro can stay healthy and be as good as he has been, the guy is on pace to have close to 1500 hits at the age of 27!! Number 5 youngest all time most hits A-roid(1535) Number 4 Robin Yount(1541) number 3 Vada Pinson(1559) Number 2 Mel Ott(1615) and number 1 all time Ty Cobb (1727)

I love this guy for lack of recognition.

Thanks for the heads up man My NEW PC GUY!!!!!
__________________
Photobucket: http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Michigan300rum/library/?
Nordy's 15 Picks 6,65,71,76,120,136,146,164,182,246,292
Night Shifter I'll respond asap. ... sorry to inconvenience you
Michigan300rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Michigan300rum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan300rum View Post
Thanks for the heads up man My NEW PC GUY!!!!!
I'm totally joking btw but I am suprised there's this many cubs fans lol.... I'm sorry I had to go there
__________________
Photobucket: http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/Michigan300rum/library/?
Nordy's 15 Picks 6,65,71,76,120,136,146,164,182,246,292
Night Shifter I'll respond asap. ... sorry to inconvenience you
Michigan300rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
neema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan300rum View Post
I'm totally joking btw but I am suprised there's this many cubs fans lol.... I'm sorry I had to go there
Cubs fans are loyal you have to give them that. Castro is a great investment in my eyes
__________________
I don't even know.
neema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
MarshallCutler6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan300rum View Post
I'm totally joking btw but I am suprised there's this many cubs fans lol.... I'm sorry I had to go there
Top 10 in terms of attendance, top 5 in total fans. We are a loyal bunch.
__________________
Collecting anything that interests me.
#TeamConnor
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 448
Default

can't wait to see jersey sales if he gets traded to Miami


Posted from Blowoutcards.com App for Android
nappyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
MarshallCutler6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyd View Post
can't wait to see jersey sales if he gets traded to Miami


Posted from Blowoutcards.com App for Android
Don't even joke about that.
__________________
Collecting anything that interests me.
#TeamConnor
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
jasonadkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,925
Default

He'll falter, he doesn't like the game of baseball, he just wants a paycheck. His work ethic is terrible and he wants that big contract so he can then take it easy and relax (like Alfonso Soriano, Hanley Ramirez, Darryl Strawberry, and Bobby Bonilla). From CBS Sports a few weeks ago:

Cubs manager Dale Sveum suggested the club's defensive struggles could result in a demotion for multiple players, including shortstop Starlin Castro, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Castro made one of three errors for the Cubs Saturday against Milwaukee. Motivation has been a repeated issue for Castro throughout his Cubs career, and that combined with the club's current struggles have frustration brewing for his manager.

"I don’t think anything is invincible if you’re not performing," Sveum said. "That’s still the one main ingredient that has to happen to win baseball games. It’s not about what we think can happen three or four years from now."
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ms gulf coast
Posts: 987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonadkins View Post
He'll falter, he doesn't like the game of baseball, he just wants a paycheck. His work ethic is terrible and he wants that big contract so he can then take it easy and relax (like Alfonso Soriano, Hanley Ramirez, Darryl Strawberry, and Bobby Bonilla). From CBS Sports a few weeks ago:

Cubs manager Dale Sveum suggested the club's defensive struggles could result in a demotion for multiple players, including shortstop Starlin Castro, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Castro made one of three errors for the Cubs Saturday against Milwaukee. Motivation has been a repeated issue for Castro throughout his Cubs career, and that combined with the club's current struggles have frustration brewing for his manager.

"I donít think anything is invincible if youíre not performing," Sveum said. "Thatís still the one main ingredient that has to happen to win baseball games. Itís not about what we think can happen three or four years from now."

Means nothing. There is zero chance he gets sent back down.
__________________
"Your Jim Palmer redemption replacement will be mailed soon. Come back and buy more from us." Topps Customer Service.
ediii33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
jasonadkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediii33 View Post
Means nothing. There is zero chance he gets sent back down.
I agree with that, but Dale Sveum trying to threaten him is just a bad sign, much like Hanley Ramirez being benched a year or two ago for not hustling. I never really saw Pete Rose play, but to me, Paul O'Neill was the prefect example of a true Gamer (and I was an A's fan and Yankee hater when he played). Castro has been accused of not caring a lot, whish is just a horrible sign IMO. There are some Bryce Harper haters because of some of his antics, but I've never seen anyone accuse Harper of not playing the game hard every second he's out there. I've had Castro on my fantasy team in a keeper league the last three years, and he's been a great contributor, but every month or two someone in the Cubs organization seems to speak publicly about his lack of effort or caring about the game.

My personal feelings are that Starlin Castro ends up like a Juan Samuel or Alfonso Soriano; a middle infielder that comes out absolutely Gangbusters and looks like the next Joe Morgan or even better, but gets the paycheck and takes it easy into mediocrity. (Oh, and if you're asking "Why would you bring up Juan Samuel?", check Samuel's first four full seasons in the Majors; they are pretty dang close to Hanley Ramirez first four seasons' numbers when you consider the league averages of the mid 1980's to the early 2000's. Dude looked like he would hit 350 HR's, 200 Triples, Score 1800 Runs, and steal 700 Bases in his career)
jasonadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,125
Default

He's hitting .271 with 19 runs, 3 hr's, 16 rbi, 2 sb's...42 hits this year...he's on pace for approx. 165 hits or so...sure gonna take him a long time to reach 3,000 hits that way...What is so impressive about him? He's not even stealing bases this year.

I find him to be mediocre at best...what am i missing?...just my opinion...
__________________
http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii620/csa1373/
csa1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
The Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonadkins View Post
I agree with that, but Dale Sveum trying to threaten him is just a bad sign, much like Hanley Ramirez being benched a year or two ago for not hustling. I never really saw Pete Rose play, but to me, Paul O'Neill was the prefect example of a true Gamer (and I was an A's fan and Yankee hater when he played). Castro has been accused of not caring a lot, whish is just a horrible sign IMO. There are some Bryce Harper haters because of some of his antics, but I've never seen anyone accuse Harper of not playing the game hard every second he's out there. I've had Castro on my fantasy team in a keeper league the last three years, and he's been a great contributor, but every month or two someone in the Cubs organization seems to speak publicly about his lack of effort or caring about the game.

My personal feelings are that Starlin Castro ends up like a Juan Samuel or Alfonso Soriano; a middle infielder that comes out absolutely Gangbusters and looks like the next Joe Morgan or even better, but gets the paycheck and takes it easy into mediocrity. (Oh, and if you're asking "Why would you bring up Juan Samuel?", check Samuel's first four full seasons in the Majors; they are pretty dang close to Hanley Ramirez first four seasons' numbers when you consider the league averages of the mid 1980's to the early 2000's. Dude looked like he would hit 350 HR's, 200 Triples, Score 1800 Runs, and steal 700 Bases in his career)
When has Castro been accused of "not caring"? He has been accused of mental lapses on the field a few times, but by no means has anyone said that he doesn't care. At Cubs convention when Starlin was asked "what is it that you like best about baseball?", his answer was "Winning". People who like to win, like the game. He is pretty young and the growing pains are something the Cubs knew would be coming, even now as the vast majority of minor leaguers even in the upper levels are as young or younger than him.

He is also on pace for about 190 hits at his current stats.
__________________
I collect everything from pre-war vintage to modern day prospects, whatever I am feeling that day/week/month!
My Bucket: http://photobucket.com/thechadstarlincastro
The Chad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,125
Default

He is also on pace for about 190 hits at his current stats.[/QUOTE]


No he is not...He would need over 700 abs for 190 hits at his current stats...42 for 155...
__________________
http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii620/csa1373/
csa1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
MarshallCutler6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa1373 View Post
He's hitting .271 with 19 runs, 3 hr's, 16 rbi, 2 sb's...42 hits this year...he's on pace for approx. 165 hits or so...sure gonna take him a long time to reach 3,000 hits that way...What is so impressive about him? He's not even stealing bases this year.

I find him to be mediocre at best...what am i missing?...just my opinion...
What are you missing? Let me check. 2x all star, hit king, youngest player to lead the league in hits, career .297 hitter, oh and he's only 23. That's what you're missing. I assure you he will be hitting .290 or better by the break, the season just started for goodness sake.
__________________
Collecting anything that interests me.
#TeamConnor
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,081
Default

I think the reason his autos are cheap is because he has signed in almost every Topps product the last 3 years.
Lastminute73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
MarshallCutler6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,180
Default

Anthony rizzo was hitting .172 less than a month ago, now he's up near .290. Do you all consider him "mediocre" just because of his slow start?
__________________
Collecting anything that interests me.
#TeamConnor
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
What are you missing? Let me check. 2x all star, hit king, youngest player to lead the league in hits, career .297 hitter, oh and he's only 23. That's what you're missing. I assure you he will be hitting .290 or better by the break, the season just started for goodness sake.
You assure me, do you?...His career avg is .295, let's not give him any help...He hit .283 last year...Why are you so certain he will be better? What has he done thus far to show he will? Why will he be over .290 by the break?

I'm not saying he "sucks" by any means...but...an absolute beast...come on...30 career HR's in almost 2,000 abs to me is faaaaarrrr from an absolute beast....good player though
__________________
http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii620/csa1373/
csa1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa1373 View Post
No he is not...He would need over 700 abs for 190 hits at his current stats...42 for 155...
He would need 701 at bats at his current pace.

Oh, BTW - he is on pace for 699 ABs.
__________________
:turkey: :turkey: :turkey:
bradical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
MarshallCutler6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa1373 View Post
You assure me, do you?...His career avg is .295, let's not give him any help...He hit .283 last year...Why are you so certain he will be better? What has he done thus far to show he will? Why will he be over .290 by the break?

I'm not saying he "sucks" by any means...but...an absolute beast...come on...30 career HR's in almost 2,000 abs to me is faaaaarrrr from an absolute beast....good player though
Tony Gwynn and rod Carew barely hit more than 200 bombs combined, and they are two of the best ever. He hit over .300 two seasons ago and last year improved his walk rate immensely, so the average wasn't a concern.
__________________
Collecting anything that interests me.
#TeamConnor
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Tony Gwynn and rod Carew barely hit more than 200 bombs combined, and they are two of the best ever. He hit over .300 two seasons ago and last year improved his walk rate immensely, so the average wasn't a concern.
That's just hilarious to me that you compare Starlin Castro to Tony Gwynn or Rod Carew...You're obvioulsy very young...You win buddy...Castro is a slap hitting, base stealing (2 sb's) absolute beast...
__________________
http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii620/csa1373/
csa1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
MarshallCutler6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa1373 View Post
That's just hilarious to me that you compare Starlin Castro to Tony Gwynn or Rod Carew...You're obvioulsy very young...You win buddy...Castro is a slap hitting, base stealing (2 sb's) absolute beast...
Hmmmm... Comparing one player who made a career out of hits and not home runs, to another who is currently hitting a ton but not hitting homers? Insane, I know.
__________________
Collecting anything that interests me.
#TeamConnor
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.