Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsupport View Post
Just busting you chops. Lol
Can't wait to bust some chops when Arizona takes down Michigan in Ann Arbor in December (and yes I will be in the building for that one)
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinVerlander07 View Post
I didn't say you necessarily have to re-sign him, just that I wouldn't trade him.

The best way to save money is to not give Miguel Cabrera anything more than a 3 year extension. Otherwise, you're headed in a dangerous direction having Verlander (who I happen to think will age well), Fielder and Cabrera all past their 'prime years' (and I'm not so sure Miggy/Prince will age well).
So you'd rather let him walk for nothing instead of trading him for the multiple elite level prospects that he would without a doubt bring back in a trade?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard
Old 06-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #153 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Can't wait to bust some chops when Arizona takes down Michigan in Ann Arbor in December (and yes I will be in the building for that one)
I should be there as well.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #154 (permalink)

Quote:
So you'd rather let him walk for nothing instead of trading him for the multiple elite level prospects that he would without a doubt bring back in a trade?

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard
I don't believe under the new CBA, that you'd get multiple elite prospects for him. You might not even get 1 'elite' prospect. Besides, you get draft pick compensation, so you don't get "nothing" for him.

Would you rather trade Scherzer, or keep him and win a World Series? This should be an obvious answer.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
If you guys decide you want to watch real College Sports, MSU will be playing Kentucky early in the winter
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't wait

And if we play another decent team at home within a few days of the return trip in Tucson next year, I might head out there for that one too. But if we don't have another good game it's probably not worth the money for the trip unfortunately
Old 06-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't believe under the new CBA, that you'd get multiple elite prospects for him. You might not even get 1 'elite' prospect. Besides, you get draft pick compensation, so you don't get "nothing" for him.

Would you rather trade Scherzer, or keep him and win a World Series? This should be an obvious answer.
But that's assuming we have no chance at winning it without him

Yes it would be tougher without him, but we'd still have Verlander, Sanchez, Fister, and an improved Porcello.

That's still better than anything any other team could throw out there in the playoffs
Old 06-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
But that's assuming we have no chance at winning it without him

Yes it would be tougher without him, but we'd still have Verlander, Sanchez, Fister, and an improved Porcello.

That's still better than anything any other team could throw out there in the playoffs
You never know that. A lot can change in a year. They have nice depth at the moment, and that is also valuable.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
If you guys decide you want to watch real College Sports, MSU will be playing Kentucky early in the winter
Both those match-ups will feature top 10 teams, pretty sure the latest early rankings are 1. UK 3. MSU 4. Arizona (not sure about Michigan)
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #160 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to groundsupport

Michigan is 5 in the last updated Poll I saw.
groundsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #162 (permalink)

Quote:
Funny, but seriously, the problem is Prince

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and want him here, but moving forward its going to hurt us more than helping us.

With bats like Castellanos and Garcia coming up soon and the need to move Miggy to first in a couple years, the Prince contract is really keeping us from re-signing a guy like Scherzer
I agree....
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #163 (permalink)

And Miggy continues to prove why he is the best. 2 run blast.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #164 (permalink)

i feel bad for fister, the guy pitches quality games just about every time he takes the mound and cant get a win lol
8lakers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #165 (permalink)

Pitiful loss. Bats were crap.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugarpj View Post
Pitiful loss. Bats were crap.
What's Avila batting now? Like .165? Pathetic.
Davesportscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
What's Avila batting now? Like .165? Pathetic.
Honestly, he should be the back up catcher. He just can't hit.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Honestly, he should be the back up catcher. He just can't hit.
That's what irks me. With DADDY working the front office it'll probably never happen.
Davesportscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #169 (permalink)

I think it's more of Leyland and his bromances with some of these kids. Just can't face reality until he's knee deep in it.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #170 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what irks me. With DADDY working the front office it'll probably never happen.
I really hate when people say this. Was anyone saying this the past 2 years when he was an above average catcher?

His dad never even wanted to draft him........

The reason he isn't in AAA yet is he's the catcher that all the pitchers like working with, not because his dad is a highly successful assistant GM.

Last edited by JustinVerlander07; 06-11-2013 at 08:13 AM.
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #171 (permalink)

Quote:
I really hate when people say this. Was anyone saying this the past 2 years when he was an above average catcher?

His dad never even wanted to draft him........

The reason he isn't in AAA yet is he's the catcher that all the pitchers like working with, not because his dad is a highly successful assistant GM.
Well said
Old 06-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
I think it's more of Leyland and his bromances with some of these kids. Just can't face reality until he's knee deep in it.
There are two positions that I really couldn't care less how they hit, SS and Catcher

I'll take a horrible hitter but above average defender at those two positions any day of the week, and Aviila is one of the best defensive catchers in the game, so I'm willing to deal with his crappy bat for now..........

Having said that, he needs to figure out what's going on with him at the plate, because I'll take .200 from my catcher when he's as good behind the plate as Avila is, but .172 when your backup is almost hitting .300 and is a solid defensive catcher himself just isn't going to get the job done.

He just looks lost at the plate, like he doesn't want to be up there and is not even interested in getting a hit.

I've been saying it for weeks, we need to send him down to AAA for 2-3 weeks and let him work it out against lesser competition. I'd rather do that now in early June than it still be an issue at the end of August. I'd send him down with an exact date of coming back up, not just for a couple games and see how it goes, but send him down and say on X date, he's coming back up. That way he won't be looking at his phone waiting for the call to come back up to Detroit and he can just focus on getting his bat in order

I think that will also do wonders for our AAA pitchers as well, getting to work with a catcher like Avila on an everyday basis for a few weeks.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #173 (permalink)

I can't find the article, but I remember Avila saying he's struggling mentally at the plate, which pretty much says it all.

The problem is he has/had a solid approach to the plate, but Leyland and crew hate the approach and wanted him to basically hack at everything, so now he seems to be hesitant and confused on what he should do at the plate.

When you have your catcher hitting 8th and he supplies a high OBP, what's wrong with that? Apparently the organization wants him to be more like Delmon Young.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #174 (permalink)

He's struggled for well over a year. I agree that Catcher is a premium position and you can afford lower production for great defense. He provides great defense, but not major league level hitting at all. He is not the catcher of the future for this club, or he shouldn't be anyway.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #175 (permalink)

Quote:
He's struggled for well over a year. I agree that Catcher is a premium position and you can afford lower production for great defense. He provides great defense, but not major league level hitting at all. He is not the catcher of the future for this club, or he shouldn't be anyway.
He was an above average catcher last year, how did he struggle? What's wrong with a .350 OBP?

I think people think the 2011 season was the player he is, but that was a fluky year. His BABIP was somewhere around .360, with his strikeout rate, that just wasn't maintainable.