Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Amazing Day at Citi Field

This past Sunday I had an amazing day with my favorite team, the New York Mets. For those of you who do not know, I am 16 and have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). For those of you following Connor's story, this is the disease Connor has as well. Through multiple contacts, Mets PR executive Jay Horwitz heard how I was a huge Mets fan and reached out to invite me to a game. He mentioned I would go on the field before the game during batting practice and potentially meet my favorite player, David Wright. As many of you know I design custom cards, so I whipped up a custom David Wright card to hopefully get signed at the game. Little did I know that would just be a fraction of the wonderful experiences I had that day. Upon arrival I was brought to the field and there I met my favorite player, David Wright. We talked a bit and he gave me the new all-star mets jersey of him and signed it as well. After that he signed my custom and took multiple pictures with me. By far one of the nicest players I've ever met. Later on during batting practice, Daniel Murphy, my second favorite player (he and Wright are my PCs as well) came over and luckily I made a last-minute decision that morning to bring the custom I made of him a few months ago. He signed it and took pictures as well. During batting practice I also met Anthony Recker, Josh Satin, and Tim Teufel. After practice we were given tickets and we headed back to the seats. One of the Mets employees said they had one more surprise, and asked if I would like to throw the first pitch, to none other than David Wright. I was ecstatic and jumped at the offer. I went on to the field and because I could not go on the mound I was brought near the dugout by first base. My name was announced, along with the Citi Field first pitch slogan I've heard many times before, "It's your pitch" and I threw (actually it was more of a hand-off since I cannot really throw a baseball) the pitch to Wright. After the exciting moment I returned to our seats to watch the game. To top off the perfect day, after losing 3-0 the entire game the Mets had a 9th inning comeback capped by a 3 run Kirk Nieuwenhuis walk-off home run to win 4-3. The day was amazing, and one I'll always remember, thanks to the wonderful organization and players. Here's some of the pictures (the customs are printed like a metallic refractor so the pictures came out a bit strange):

Edit: When I returned from the all star game (awesome time btw), I had some mail from the Mets. I opened it up and inside was the 8x10 picture of me with Wright after the first pitch. It was not only signed by him, but also inscribed "To Steven, Let's Go Mets!". He is a complete stand up act, and now has secured his spot as my favorite player

Last edited by Metsfan1121; 07-17-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

That's just amazing man. Really awesome.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

What an awesome story. Congrats bud! That Captain Kirk walkoff was awesome too Glad you had a good time.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Great story. I enjoyed reading it. I'm glad the Mets came through
for you before and during the game.
pcbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Wow. Great story. Wright always seemed like a class act. Thoughts and prayers are with you! Stay strong!!! Love the custom cards, btw.
NoobCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing, what an awesome story!
hohlernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Awesome. I had no idea you were so young. How the hell did you learn to make custom cards like that? I love all the customs you make.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Awesome story, awesome experience. Thanks for sharing!
tajikey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Congrats man! As I mentioned in the Felix visit thread, my wife is a wish granter at Make-A-Wish and experiences like this really hit close to home for me. My brother had a rare genetic disorder and was granted a wish when we were kids. It's hard for people to understand how such a small gesture like taking a picture together or giving a handshake can be such a huge impact on someone's life. You'll cherish the memories forever and have some awesome stuff to add to your PC! Take care, good health, and if I ever have anything you're interested in, just let me know!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

VERY cool brother!!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Very Cool, Me, being a mets fan would jump at that opportunity as well to throw out a First Pitch especially to Wright!! Congrats, That is a fantastic Sorry and Really AWesome Customs!! Nice work!!
Artchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Awesome. I had no idea you were so young. How the hell did you learn to make custom cards like that? I love all the customs you make.
All my graphic design skills I've taught myself thanks to the wonderful information on the web. I am going to major in college in graphic design and cards are really how I use my skills at the moment. I would love to eventually have a job in the graphic design field, especially one focused around sports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GoCards View Post
Congrats man! As I mentioned in the Felix visit thread, my wife is a wish granter at Make-A-Wish and experiences like this really hit close to home for me. My brother had a rare genetic disorder and was granted a wish when we were kids. It's hard for people to understand how such a small gesture like taking a picture together or giving a handshake can be such a huge impact on someone's life. You'll cherish the memories forever and have some awesome stuff to add to your PC! Take care, good health, and if I ever have anything you're interested in, just let me know!
I actually received a wish from Make-A-Wish when I was 3 (I went to Disney) and the organization is fantastic. Your wife must love to have that job.
Metsfan1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Fantastic story, thank you for sharing. You are very talented as your designs put most of the current Topps/Panini/UD designs to shame. Those are awesome. I'm thrilled that your meeting with your heroes confirmed your thoughts on them as well. I have had the chance to meet a few of mine in my life and more often than not found them to be unworthy of being looked up to. I have heard only good things about Wright and your story is but another example of that. I'm an Angels die hard but for today I will yell out 'Go Mets'.

Datkiem was a mad genius and way ahead of his time.
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Awesome story man. You actually made the Mets seem like a decent team to this Yankee fan .
Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Congrats on getting to meet the players you admire and taking the time to share the experience with us.
hhmag70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Outstanding story! Your customs are amazing also.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Awesome, glad you got to see the Kirk walk-off!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Wow that is awesome. Even though your Mets beat my Cubbies, a story like this is really amazing. Nice to know that there are good people out there. Thanks for sharing your story and your customs, they are both outstanding!
GreatAlbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Having great difficulty finding the words to express what I feel right now.

I am truly very glad that you had such a great day and
wish you all the best with your situation.
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Sounds like it went great. That walk-off was pretty much the perfect way to end that day.

As said above, those customs look nice. Keep up the good work!
SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

wow, what an amazing experience! the baseball gods were definitely smiling down on you and the Mets that day. well deserved for a great guy, SMA or not.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Absolutely outstanding story there. Thank you very much for sharing (even though you're a Mets fan ).
55_marlins_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

Congrats on meeting those guys, I'm a Braves fan so I dislike the Mets obviously but it's hard not to root for them when they do this kind of stuff. I appreciate the story and the pictures!

Keep up the good work with the customs and stay strong bud!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Nice to hear stories like this and the Mariners story with so much bad in the sport. Congratulations on your day and your continued success with your design. Good luck to you.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

What a great story, thanks for sharing!

You have a bright future in graphic design, your cards look incredible.
Mattsurewood is offline   Reply With Quote