Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Topps Redemption...

Had a package today in the mailbox. I didn't remember buying a card that was to be delivered today. So I open it up and here is what was in it:

One of the dreaded "sticker dump" cards. It was supposed to be an Ozzie Smith 2011 Marquee Monumental Markings Gold. Instead it's a sticker dump Orlando Cepeda 1/5. Cepeda autos have low value on ebay. What do you guys think? Probably going to send it back. What do I need to tell them and where do I send it?

Last edited by bsheston; 06-24-2013 at 03:07 PM.
bsheston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd send it back as well
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheston View Post
Had a package today in the mailbox. I didn't remember buying a card that was to be delivered today. So I open it up and here is what was in it:

One of the dreaded "sticker dump" cards. It was supposed to be an Ozzie Smith 2011 Marquee Monumental Markings Gold. Instead it's a sticker dump Orlando Cepeda 1/5. Cepeda autos have low value on ebay. What do you guys think? Probably going to send it back. What do I need to tell them and where do I send it?

I know this is the 156,456,435,458,452nd post on bad redemptions, but please post some constructive info with your smart-a** comments. Thanks!
The only constructive thing to add is F Topps. You got screwed and need to send this back. A TC auto Cepeda sold for $7.51 dlvd last night which actually makes me mad. I was watching it and got to reading an article and missed the ending. Not sure why I didn't have it set in snipe. Ok, sorry, still upset but so should you be. Send it back and wipe a little poo on the top loader so they will have the same reaction you did when you opened it.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

He may not have a lot of value, but that's a nice looking card.
centereacan06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am a Giants fan! That is a sweet card but, that is not a proper replacement for the Ozzie! Send it back!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sending the card back today. Here is the letter I am sending with it:

Dear Topps,
I recently received an Orlando Cepeda autograph as a replacement for my redemption 2011 Marquee baseball Monumental Markings Gold Ozzie Smith autograph. I am returning the Cepeda autograph for a few reasons, which I will outline in the following paragraphs.
First, the values on the Cepeda autograph and the Ozzie Smith autograph are not equal. An items value is only what a person is willing to pay for it. Recent eBay sold listings for Cepeda autographs reveal that his autographed high-end Topps products (Triple Threads, Tribute, Five Star) sell for around $10 to $20. On the other hand an Ozzie Smith 2013 Museum Collection Black Framed Autograph, which is number to 5 like the Marquee Monumental Markings Gold cards, sold for $127.50. Also, other Marquee Monumental Markings Gold autographed cards of hall of fame players or future hall of fame players have sold for $175.78 (Hank Aaron) and $199.99 (Roy Halladay). We are talking about a $100 difference in value between the card I was supposed to receive and the card I did receive.
The second reason I am returning the Cepeda autograph is the type of autograph and the card it is on. The Cepeda autograph I received is a “sticker” autograph, meaning the card was never touched (or probably seen) by Mr. Cepeda. The Marquee card I was to receive was an “on-card” autograph, meaning it was signed directly on to the card. Also, 2011 Marquee was marketed by Topps as a “high-end” product, whereas the Cepeda is from no product, making it less valuable.
Each collector has a certain area in which they collect. An Orlando Cepeda card in my collection does not fit just like a Ford Mustang would not fit in a Chevy Corvette collection. This is the third reason I am returning the Cepeda autograph. The majority of my baseball collection consists of two players, Ozzie Smith and Chipper Jones. If I am going to receive a replacement for my Ozzie Smith Marquee autograph, I would like it to be with a card from a similarly high-end product from one of my two players I collect.
I am not sure if this is possible or not, but I also would be fine waiting longer for the card I redeemed. I do not know if I do not have the card because it was never produced by Topps or if it was produced but never signed by Mr. Smith. If it was a problem getting it signed, I understand that it is somewhat under your hands. But if the card was never produced or never given to Mr. Smith to be signed, I would ask politely for these two things to happen. I am also asking that you do everything you can do get produce the three 2013 Museum Collection Momentous Material Jumbo Relic Auto of Ozzie Smith redemption cards I am currently waiting on, as well as the other six redemptions I am waiting on.
Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope that you understand the issue I am having with the Orlando Cepeda card I received. If you have any further questions or would like to contact me, please feel free to do so. My phone number is ********* and my email address is *********.
Thank you
Old 06-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

^^^^^^^^^Well said.

Hopefully they help you out and don't say they lost your package.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

They are just going to tell you that they don't go by ebay sales, they go by beckett value. It's worth a shot, but don't hold your breath.

Instagram: WallStreetCards
Dbott1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbott1234 View Post
They are just going to tell you that they don't go by ebay sales, they go by beckett value. It's worth a shot, but don't hold your breath.
That argument is invalid. These replacements are not listed in Beckett.

Follow me on Twitter @Davesportscards
Davesportscards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Excellent letter. Hope they work with you on improving your replacement.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbott1234 View Post
Then a fair counterpoint to that line of reasoning would be that

a) the replacement isnt even listed in beckett
b) even if it were - beckett likely wouldnt apply a value to a #/5

Search Results | Beckett.com

===

On a positive note, I couldnt find any on ebay. I dont just mean the parallel #/5. Couldnt find any base auto versions or the ones #/10
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
First, the values on the Cepeda autograph and the Ozzie Smith autograph are not equal. An items value is only what a person is willing to pay for it. Recent eBay sold listings for Cepeda autographs reveal that his autographed high-end Topps products (Triple Threads, Tribute, Five Star) sell for around $10 to $20. On the other hand an Ozzie Smith 2013 Museum Collection Black Framed Autograph, which is number to 5 like the Marquee Monumental Markings Gold cards, sold for $127.50. Also, other Marquee Monumental Markings Gold autographed cards of hall of fame players or future hall of fame players have sold for $175.78 (Hank Aaron) and $199.99 (Roy Halladay). We are talking about a $100 difference in value between the card I was supposed to receive and the card I did receive.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're not comparing similar cards. A Museum Collection black is a case hit from a high-end product. You're comparing a Museum Black to a TTT sticker auto? Besides, that 2013 Musuem Black Smith probably won't get made either. The redemption sold for that much, not the card.

Something else to note, Smith hasn't signed for Topps in a while that I know of. He has a ton of unlicensed autos (Press Pass, Panini) but no topps for the last two years. A 2011 Musuem Collection Relic Titanic Threads Auto Relic of Smith #/10 recently went for $70. That's a much better comparison. It's a sticker but it has a relic. So if you're going to try to establish a value for the Smith you did'nt get, try there rather than a Hank Aaron card or a Museum Black. In fact, I was waiting on a Mat Latos 2011 Marquee Monumental Markings Gold and they replaced it with a Cahill Titanic Threads Auto Relic of Cahill. Not perfect but acceptable. No way I would have expected a Marquee Museum Collection auto.

Quote:
The second reason I am returning the Cepeda autograph is the type of autograph and the card it is on. The Cepeda autograph I received is a “sticker” autograph, meaning the card was never touched (or probably seen) by Mr. Cepeda. The Marquee card I was to receive was an “on-card” autograph, meaning it was signed directly on to the card. Also, 2011 Marquee was marketed by Topps as a “high-end” product, whereas the Cepeda is from no product, making it less valuable.
Yet in your comparison above you compare Museum Black on-card SVs with sticker TTT SVs to establish an inflated value for Smith. Essentially you did the same thing you accuse Topps of.

It's a good letter and you make a good case but it could be tightened up. Topps likes to wiggle. Also, what is your SV estimate for the Smith Monumental Markings you were waiting on? Sounds like upwards of $150 which is a bit optimistic. I think if you go chasing that kind of value you'll continue to be disappointed.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

I feel your pain. Had a red relic auto of Altuve due me. I never asked for a replacement, but they sent me a Sheffield auto out of that same bogus $hitty set.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Sending the card back today. Here is the letter I am sending with it:

Dear Topps,
I recently received an Orlando Cepeda autograph as a replacement for my redemption 2011 Marquee baseball Monumental Markings Gold Ozzie Smith autograph. I am returning the Cepeda autograph for a few reasons, which I will outline in the following paragraphs.
Each collector has a certain area in which they collect. An Orlando Cepeda card in my collection does not fit just like a Ford Mustang would not fit in a Chevy Corvette collection. This is the third reason I am returning the Cepeda autograph. The majority of my baseball collection consists of two players, Ozzie Smith and Chipper Jones. If I am going to receive a replacement for my Ozzie Smith Marquee autograph, I would like it to be with a card from a similarly high-end product from one of my two players I collect.
I am not sure if this is possible or not, but I also would be fine waiting longer for the card I redeemed. I do not know if I do not have the card because it was never produced by Topps or if it was produced but never signed by Mr. Smith. If it was a problem getting it signed, I understand that it is somewhat under your hands. But if the card was never produced or never given to Mr. Smith to be signed, I would ask politely for these two things to happen. I am also asking that you do everything you can do get produce the three 2013 Museum Collection Momentous Material Jumbo Relic Auto of Ozzie Smith redemption cards I am currently waiting on, as well as the other six redemptions I am waiting on.
Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope that you understand the issue I am having with the Orlando Cepeda card I received. If you have any further questions or would like to contact me, please feel free to do so. My phone number is ********* and my email address is *********.
Thank you
Am I the only one who considers it very odd that Topps has given up hope on Ozzie signing his 2011 redemptions but will now release new product with more Ozzie redemptions? Are you serious? Apparently, you must have scheduled some time with the man so why not throw down those cards he was supposed to sign years ago and have him sign them at that time. Or could it be that nothing is scheduled for Ozzie at all and those redemptions have an excellent chance of never being redeemed also.
Schocktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

More than likely topps will mail it back to you and say case closed.
chezball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
More than likely topps will mail it back to you and say case closed.
Unfortunately, this.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

The minute they read "eBay sells" , your argument is done. Case closed.
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. I also sent an email to Ozzie to see if he ever received the cards to sign or if he is still even signing for Topps.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well, I got a package back from Topps. They sent back the Cepeda and sent a 2012 Chipper Jones Golden Moments auto. I am not sure if it still is equal value but since Chipper is a PC item I will probably keep it. Thanks for reading and thanks for those who commented with advice.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

if i were you, id be satisfied with what you got because coming from topps, that isnt a bad return. the Chipper's SV is probably around 50 dollars or so, and seeing as the Cepeda is numbered to 5, id say the cepeda would sell for 30 dollars or so. all in all, you made out ok in getting a PC item from it.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Very solid addition in the Chipper. Definitely a keeper.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

I don't know if you got fair value, but it's probably close. Certainly closer than before. Put that Cepeda up at a crazy BIN/BO and see what happens. I like the Chipper.

I don't open a lot of topps, but I needed to redeem something with them today so I checked out what I have outstanding with them. Turns out I still have two 2010 Bowman Sterling Strasburg autos and a Aimee Mullins Ginter Red auto /10 from a few years ago in my list. The Strasburg is confusing since the card has been live for over a year. I explained that to the guy and he just said that they don't have any in stock. He's going to check with his "supervisor" and call me Monday. I'm not holding my breath for his return call, but I would like an explanation how a card can be live for a year, but they don't have any in stock.

What are they going to do? Print up some more 2010 Strasburg Rookies and have him sign them? Doesn't really make it a 2010 Rookie then. I doubt they go to the market to get them. I'm not going to take a blind redemption on those three. I want to know what I am getting before I agree to it.

Another reason why I like Panini better. . . . . . .

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

I think this is about the best you are going to do on this transaction. At least with the Chipper it is definitely closer in value to what the Ozzie was (although I still think you got shortchanged a little). With all the shipping costs back and forth, plus your time, that is all worth more than the difference between these two cards and the Ozzie.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote